Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #11  
Quote--Ignorance is a choice and has nothing to do with the school system.
You're only getting one side of the story.

I think you're only getting one side of the story. Between my immediate family and my wife's family there is about 200 years teaching experience. The few times that we do get together and discuss school the one thing that comes through is the indifference that you find in the schools today, indifference about learning, indifference toward authority, etc. and that follows out into the work place. I'm not bashing any dealers, mine is a good one and is there when I need advice. I'm just saying that a lot of the attitudes that we see in the real world have come about from how these people were brought up.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #12  
MadReferee said:
The point here is that this type of situation is alot more widespread than one would think, and it has nothing to do about bashing a dealership.
No offense, I simply disagree since my experience has been just the opposite. My point was not about dealer bashing. It was about people are more likely to post complaints on an Internet forum than praises.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers
MikePA said:
It was about people are more likely to post complaints on an Internet forum than praises.
Absolutely. And do you know why? Because it's a safe, relatively anonymous way of venting.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #14  
MadReferee said:
It's not always a misunderstanding by a novice buyer. I have personally walked into dealerships and have been told stuff by sales people that are flat out untrue. I even once pulled out a copy of a pricing book and showed the salesguy that he was dead wrong. I like to consider myself an informed buyer and I know when I am being bs'ed.

The point here is that this type of situation is alot more widespread than one would think, and it has nothing to do about bashing a dealership.

So back to the original questions.

Most of the older dealerships in this area switched from an agricultural base to construction equipment, lawn equipment and "hobby farm" type equipment over the last 20 years. The few sales people who still sell primarily bigger "ag" stuff either moved on to dealers specializing in that sort of equipment or retired. As the change-over took place, all these dealers hired a new sales force. They hired "salesmen" from all walks of life. Then they showed them the ropes as far as product line. What we ended up with as a consumer is a sales force greeting us that in a lot of cases has far less experience with, and/or knowledge about what their pitching than we do. They know (or THINK they know) a large portion of their customers know absolutely NOTHING about tractors. Imagine how many "snow jobs" they get away with.....In recent years I've seen more of a tendency for equipment dealers to hire people who understand more about mortgage insurance and less about closed center hydraulics. You can't expect factual information from someone who doesn't know in the first place.

This is why STAND-OUT dealerships should be acknowledged. There are dealers who still subscribe to good old fashioned ethics and honesty. Personally, I'd rather pay more to an honest dealer than feed a crook.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #15  
MikePA said:
No offense, I simply disagree since my experience has been just the opposite. My point was not about dealer bashing. It was about people are more likely to post complaints on an Internet forum than praises.

And generally speaking, people tend to be overly dramatic when complaining about any great injustice allegedly done to them, where most compliments are true and to the point.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #16  
My dealer seems ok, I haven't any problems with them and they did walk me thru the tractor on delivery.They are well aware of this forum. I called them and made a decision to buy the tractor I have now, by listening to what you fine people had to say about different brands and models. If you tell them you belong to a forum, they might not try to bs you so much. plowking

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #17  
It seems that a lot of the problem comes from the lack of available people in the work force that have the desire and attitude to get the information needed to help make a sell and answer the questions needed for a best choice for the buyer.In my observations if the sales person cannot get the generic information easily(lazy) then they have what I call a 15 minute degree.15 minutes of reading about the produce then they know it all. If the information cannot be found without an electronic device(computer) then reading about it from a source where they have to find it in a manual or from research that is brief and simple then it interferes with there time doing their thing(e-mail,cell phone calls,blackberry's etc.)to keep up with their personal business and not for the company.I figure that if I can find what I need to know to be better informed about any item or product then I expect them to.After all that is,I am sure of,what they are there for.IMHO some of this is a sign of the times these days,unfortunately.I also realize a company has to be as streamlined as possible and this puts a strain on them to find well rounded and informed sales people to cover all the overwelming information needed.My conclution is that if you put your trust in a salesman then you get what you deserve for allowing this.After all this site has more knowledge and answers to the questions asked than all but the best salesman out there in the real world.After all,if you really don't know and the salesman gives you some crappy knowledge you to are lazy, ignorant, and uninformed as they are.With today's age of information available to any one,this problem should not exist.However ignorance is bliss and God made alot of them.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #18  
The "best" tractor salesman I ever encountered (read; He sold me 3 new tractors) retired before computers came on the scene. He carried a couple pocket note pads and a pen. He remembered everything about his customers....because they were important. He also knew every inch of every product he sold, BECAUSE HE USED THEM TOO. He answered questions like a man that didn't have to read about it....he LIVED it. When I was shopping 18 months back, one sales guy didn't even know how to start a tractor I was looking at. It's difficult to hand over $34,000 to that guy.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #19  
This reminds me of a saying that my past boss man did not like-This job use to annoy me Now it amuses Me. Some how or another you end up having to have this attitude to much this day and time about almost all areas of life.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #20  
I think this is a post that has been long needed. I worked at a big car dealer who also sold medium duty trucks and I can not count the times that the salesman from my dealer or another dealer told a customer some out right wrong info about their truck. I think some sales people look at nothing but selling the unit right now and not gaining a customer for life. If you sell the wrong truck to the right guy you will never see him again, but if you sell the right truck to the right guy he is your friend for life. I don’t trust any salesman, all the info I need to purchase anything comes from information I gather on my own. I don’t look for the cheapest deal on something close to what I want, I figure out what I want and look for the best deal on that. There has been a lot of conflicting info on a few of my post from different guys, sorting through that info is part of the research process of finding what you want or need. To me a salesman is just there to find what I need in his stock and advise me on any special deals that I do not know about. They really are not a salesman at all with me just a link I have to go through to get what I want. Bottom line is doing your research, talk to people and look at your options. If you happen to actually find a good sales person they are as good as gold and will make or break a dealer, the problem is if they are a good salesman then they wont be selling for long, they will be a manager with better pay and hours soon. then he will not have time to train or over see the new guys. $ale$men ugggg