JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240

/ JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240 #1  

lwschnell

Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I'm in the process of evaluating purchase of either a JD 3320 or a Kubota L3240 with FEL. The L3240 has the edge in HP (34 vs. 32.5) and is ~200 lb heavier. However the 3320 has more gears (12f/12r vs. 12f/8r), larger fuel capy, wet vs. dry clutch, and more hyd pump capy. Use will be cultivating & rough mowing 10+ac or relatively flat land. Will specify Rimguard loaded R-1 tires.

I'd appreciate comments about the overall performance, ergonomics, fuel consumption & reliability of these tractors.

/ JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240 #2  
LW,
Welcome to the best forum on earth! You'll get everything you need around here, knowledge, chuckles, even smelly shoe bottoms from all the B.S. that get's slung out...haha. But, there are a lot of great guys around, some with a lot of experience in tractors, some posing like they do, etc.

Me personally, I don't know squat about tractors. Everything I'm picking up is either from this site, or reading literature. I do know a little about my particular tractor, but that's about it.

You asked about the JD 3320 or a Kubota L3240 with FEL. I don't know about the JD, but they are great tractors. I, nor many people on TBN will be able to tell you much about the L3240 either. It's a 2007 model and just hit the streets in the last month or two. I have a 2006 Kubota L3130, which was it's predecessor. It's a great tractor, it's 4x4, and I'm sure that's what you are looking to get (especially with an FEL). I hear a lot of talk on this forum about it being an ALMOST, but not quite, necessity to have it you have a front bucket. If you haven't considered that, please ask around about it. I don't have an FEL, no need really, but the guys with one can tell you the advantages of having 4x4 with it...something to think about.

Like I said, the 3240 is new, so I don't know if you'll get too many "owners" of them to respond, although I know there are several people onboard TBN that have gone out already and bought one.

I wish you the best of luck. You can't go wrong with either color. Both there engines are made in Japland and they are both tight products. If I could afford and had a need, I'd have a green one in my garage too.

Later,
Podunk

Last edited:
   / JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240
Thanks for the response. Spent most of the day with the Kubota dealer & got good test drives on the L3240 & L3130 (both FST & HST models). The two models are very similar with the most notable differences being the location of the SCV for the FEL and the design of the FEL bucket level indicator. On the L3240's the SCV is located on the right side of the seat (preferable) vs. on the right side of the steering wheel of the L3130. Although I basically prefer a manual transmission, the location of the shuttle lever on the left side of the steering wheel was not good for me - gives me a lower back pain from leaning forward.

Yesterday I drove the JD 3320 and had a similar problem with its shuttle lever; and when I adjusted to seat to provide good access to the clutch & brakes the steering wheel was too close. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned; but I also prefer the metal hood & fenders of the Kubotas to the plastic/fiberglass of the JD. Although JD has a better FEL attach/detach design, this is offset by their proprietary bucket attach/detach mechanism vs. Kubota's skid steer type.

To make a long story short I decided to go with an L3130HST with an LA723 FEL because of the ergonomic issues and a much better price. The price difference was driven by the pricing incentives on the L3130's (none on the L3240 of JD 3320) and a higher trade-in value for my L2800DT. I'm looking forward to delivery on the 3/2.

LWS

/ JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240 #4  
Congrats on your choice of machines LW. You'll be happy with the L3130, I know I am. Like I said before, I don't have a bucket up front, I just didn't have a use for it, although I'm sure at some point I will wish I had taken the plunge. I rent one if I ever do need it.

I like the metal features of the Kub also. When I was tractor shopping, I looked at the Mahindra, Massey F, New Holland, JD and Kubota. They are all good machines that's for sure, but being that I didn't know too much about tractors, I followed the advice of a farmer friend of mine...he owns an Ag MF, and has access to and also farms with an older Ag JD. He told me to buy a Kubota...said I wouldn't go wrong and that in HIS opinion, they are the best tractor's on the market right now. Me, if it rolls and pulls implements, I like 'em, no matter what the color. ;)

I couldn't tell from your post, did you buy HST? I know you said you prefered manual, but it hurt your back shifting or something. I hear all these guys talking on TBN who own every color tractor imaginable and with FEL's. They mostly all agree that the FEL/HST combo can't be beaten. I wouldn't know, but I really like not having to shift gears. The cruise control feature on the 3130 will grow on you. It's the proverbial "cat's meow" in my opinion.

Good luck, post some pics when you get it. I'll see you around the forum.

Podunk

ps. If I don't ask you, someone else will on here...update your profile...a LOT of the guys check them out...kind of tells info they don't have to ask in a post.

l8r

/ JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240
Well, they delivered the L3130 last Fri AM & I've been able to put about 1.5 hrs on it. The HST will certainly take some getting used to. I think I was able to have more precise control of the tractor using the clutch on my L2800DT. However the 3pt on the L3130 is much more controllable since it doesn't operate in distinct and large increments. I also really like being able to detach the FEL bucket as it has skid steer type attach/detach. This came standard on the L3130; but was an $800 option on the JD 3320.

/ JD 3320 vs Kubota L3240 #6  
Enjoy your tractor. I know I enjoy mine and can't wait till the snow melts so I can get into some serious projects with it.... Post some pics...