Why I didn't buy a compact tractor

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

Why I didn\'t buy a compact tractor

First of all, I’d like to thank everyone who contributes to this board. Many of you have helped me with my decision. I can’t say yet whether it was the right decision – need some experience first. Maybe my decision-making process will be useful to somebody out there.Background: I have 50 acres, 10 cleared, in northern Minnesota. I am no longer young (55), which also played a role in my decision. I worked on a dairy farm in my youth and have some long ago experience with JD farm tractors (which I realize are primitive by today's standards). I wanted a machine to help me remove snow, transplant trees, remove large rocks (2 ft plus in diameter) from trails, and mow a 9-acre field and 2 miles of trails at least once a year. (I’ve been doing most of these things with hand tools, chain saw, and weed wacker for 27 years.) I also plan to do some general landscaping and ditching. I mow my yard with an old PowerKing tractor and will replace it with a Sears, JD, or Honda riding mower when the time comes. The machine to be purchased would be definitely a luxury, not a necessity, but it should help take the backache out of many things I'm now doing by hand.I didn’t buy a tractor because1) I like my implements up front where they are easy to see and where they won’t give me a stiff neck.2) I like implements which are easy to attach and detach.3) I wanted to be able to dig with a simple shovel tool rather than with a backhoe.4) I wanted traction and maneuverability in the woods. 5) I wanted enough power to dig out and lift large rocks, yet small enough to fit in a one car garage.6) I wanted something that could easily be used for snow removal without major parts removal and/or hookup.I did not find the perfect machine. I certainly considered PowerTrac and ASVI. In the end, though, I decided I’d get the best bang for the buck with a Bobcat 753 with steel tracks (Thanks tpaulson and cowboydoc), and that’s what I bought. I got the "free" bucket and cab with heat offered in December. I will use it with a toothbar on the bucket for landscaping and will also use the Kasco Rooter (Thanks, Kent). I will initially rent a 60" rotary cutter when I need it, since the dealer is less than 20 miles away. The main downside I see is that I will have to be careful not to tear things up too much with the tracks. Also the short wheel base provides a roller coaster ride at times, but one can stop this machine quickly by simply returning the hand levers to neutral. Fuel economy would be better on a tractor. (Like I said, I didn’t find perfection.) However, I had a demo unit out at my place in December and was impressed with the unit’s ability to dig and move in the woods. The steel tracks pretty much guarantee I won’t get stuck if I don’t do anything too stupid. Well, that’s the short story after several years of reading Tractorbynet and jplan. I do get some strange stares from my friends when they learn of my purchase and I know a skid steer is not for everyone, but I think I may have made the best decision for my situation. Thanks to all who participate in this board. Comments welcome.

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #2  
Re: Why I didn\'t buy a compact tractor

nothing, but nothing, beats a skid steer for digging in the woods.

i go rent one when i need it [i mow more than i clear wood lots].

tell the vikings to get it together - i am taking a lot of flak down here... ;)

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #3  

Alf,
Congratulations on the purchase. Those Bobcats are one heck of a versatile machine and I am sure you will be able to take care of your needs. Just because you didn’t buy a compact tractor doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you.

MarkV

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #4  

ALF: the whole object of this board is not to TELL U what to buy, but to help u make a decision which u feel is best for YOU!!! appears u have done that, and u should be well pleased with your decision.please make sure u keep us informed, and post pics.

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #5  

Like Frank said, we don't care whether you bought a tractor or something else, so long as what you got meets your needs. Sounds like you got a nice machine that does. Congratulations!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #6  

Alf:
Sounds great. Please keep us posted.
We need more non-compact tractor fanatics (I just got a Power-Trac)
Particularly, however, we need some more opponents for "I- hate-skid-steer" types on the board.
Haven't had a good debate about that in a few months.

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #7  

What's the breakout out force on that baby?

Buck

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #8  

Sounds like you got what you were looking for. Hope you have fun with your new toy./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

But why, oh why would you trade the Powerking for a SEARS? That old Powerking is 10 times the tractor.

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #9  

Congrats on your purchase! Skid steers sure are impressive machines and it sounds like you've got some good "toys" to go along with it. How 'bout some pictures for us to ooh and ahh over /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Why I didn't buy a compact tractor #10  

I can't imagine a better testament to the value and benefit this forum provides to its members and readers alike, and I know the real value comes from the knowledge and experience that everyone is willing to share.

ec