Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #1  

Seanachie

Howdy, I’m a newbie from KY and I’d like to request some advice. We have a small (23 acre) gentleman’s horse farm in western Kentucky. We bought it when it was in need of maintenance and repair, both to the land and the house. I’ve pretty much got the house part solved but am wondering what to buy to maintain/repair the land.

We’ve got 4-5 acres of sloping lawn to be mown weekly and 10 acres of semi-smooth (and semi-bumpy) pasture to be limed, dragged, and knocked down 4-5 times a year. The prior owners left a bunch of tree tops at or in the woodline and I’d like to move them to either the wood pile or the burning pile. I also want to maintain/ expand some overgrown riding trails through the woods.

We’ve got two horse at the moment and plan to add more within a few years. Obviously, horses mean muck carts and moving organic fertilizer. I have a big muck/compost pile that’ll need to get turned soon. I’ve got some minor landscaping project planned like flower beds and vegetable gardens for sometime in the future. We also have a ¼ mile long gravel driveway which will require maintenance.

I’m just finishing up 20 years of playing Army and Uncle Sam keeps me out of town a lot, therefore my beloved spouse will be the primary lawnmower and property maintainer for the next year or so. I won’t really be able to spend a lot of time on a tractor for a couple of years.

We had a Cub 1042 which died an ugly death after 550 hours. :( (Yeah, I know it wasn’t big enough for that place but it was perfect for the 1 ½ acre level suburban carpet, er, lawn at our last house.) Now we need to replace it. No lawn tractor means no tow-behind garden trailer and the wheelbarrow gets old quick.

Options:

I. A Husqvarna GT26K54 garden tractor. I know the Mrs. and our 10-year old daughter (who is already 5’3” tall :eek: ) could use it. The daughter would not be running the blades right now but has been towing stuff with the tractor for two years so it’s getting time to teach her. I know this means hiring someone to deal with the pasture but I’m not gonna be home all that often and I’d really like to spend part of the time I do get at home with the family. Don’t get me wrong, I like using a tractor but it’s kind of a solitary activity. I can always drive the pickup truck or the Husky with 17 cubic foot garden trailer over to the woodline and load the wood by hand. Also, I actually own (NIB) a 48’ snow and gravel blade, sleeve hitch, and box blade for a Husky that I found on deep clearance. :confused: Why? My buddy has a GT2448 and I figured I could give them to him for a birthday present if I didn’t buy one. Also, I’m thinking of adding a Johnny Bucket to it. Anybody got one? What do you think of them? My only concern with the Husky is the hand-operated ground speed control. We’re used to a forward and back foot pedal and this is a new concept. What do you folks think of this setup? How safe would it be for my daughter? And would it make things too complicated when using attachments that also use the hands to control such as the snow blade or Johnny Bucket?

II. A 2004 John Deere model 2210 with FEL and 48” bushhog. The tractor has 71 hours on it and is in great shape. They want $10K-ish for that setup or they’ll throw in a new 62” mid-mount mower for a total of $12K (before I start negotiating). I don’t want to spend $12K outright so I’d want to finance it and I think the Deere 0% promo expired yesterday. Because this one is used, it wouldn’t qualify for the promotion anyway. My wife said the 2210 that we test-drove basically “feels like the Cub Cadet on steroids”. Meaning that she was fine with it. She said that about the one with the MMM only; she wasn’t so comfortable with the one with the FEL and bushhog mounted. That’s OK, I’d mostly be the one using those. The problem is that I won’t be around to do a lot of it. I’m not sure if this tractor would be big enough to tackle all that I want to do but I’m thinking (haven’t driven one yet) that the next size up (JD 2320) would stop feeling like a “big mower” and start feeling like a “small tractor”. That might be cool for me but not so much for my wife who wants to almost exclusively use it as a mower. Plus, I don’t want to destroy my lawn with a tractor that’s too big. I want to get the full use out of any attachments and I’m concerned that the 22210/2305 would be overtaxed using them. I would eventually like to get a backhoe, but that’ll need future clearance from the Household Command Authority.:rolleyes:

III. A new JD 2305 (or orange equivalent) with the same options as above. Basically the same tractor as the 2210 but comes with full warranty and shiny new paint. Obviously, it’ll cost more. How much should I expect to pay? Not sure on financing options. Might save a chunk on financing costs if we buy new, plus it’ll be a newer model and more desirable on (if/when) resale.

IV. Buy the Husky now and look for a new JD 2320 in two years. This way my wife will have something she’s comfortable with right now and we actually get a bigger tractor which should handle everything when I’m ready to devote more time to it. Downside, no tractor to play with during my infrequent opportunities to play and additional costs. Upside, deferred purchase, not paying for tractor to get old in my barn, and two separate tools when we’re done.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I’d gratefully appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #2  
Seanachie:

Welcome to TBN and thank you for your government service :D! I would recommend based on the information you provided that you should look at CUT's for the "big stuff" and a riding lawn and garden tractor for the "lawn stuff". It starts to get complicated with tractor weight, "footprint", tires, and attachments. Light tractors with a midmount mower and turfs mow well but are not as efficient with heavier ground engaging tasks and FEL's get in the way of tight manuvering when mowing. Field cutting usually requires a bigger tractor that can handle a rotary cutter with possible ground clearance issues for the tractor. Ground engaging tasks and heavy FEL work require a heavier tractor with weighted R-1's or R-4's, but then you have to consider the "mud factor" (R-1's > R-4's IMHO). All this having been stated I too have to answer to the "HCA" :eek:. My "HCA" used to drive my old Ford 1100 (SCUT) on occassion but now she will not go near my NH TC29DA (CUT) or even my White LT-1650. Keep your thoughts posted- Jay

Last edited:
   / Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #3  
Seanachie

First off thanks for serving your country, I am one of a whole lot of people who appreciate what you do!

As one newbie to another our situations are a bit similar. I have about 1/2 acre of lawn (final plan will be about 2 acres), the rest is very rough. Also I was gone most the time. We have a L120 lawn mower with a 48 inch midmower that we have abused unmercifully for about 300 hours. After lurking on this really helpful website we ended up buying a 2320 with a FEL and rear blade. I should have bought it sooner. It makes life so much easier, and its fun. It took my wife about 5 minutes to get used to the FEL and the forward and reverse controls are the same as our lawn mower so that makes things easier as well.

Welcome to the site. The place is full of helpful friendly people.

Ed

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #4  
Seanachie:

Welcome aboard and THANK YOU for your service and keeping us safe!

Being a newbie myself I can't help on the tractor but the other here can.

bob

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #5  
I believe you've out grown what a L&G tractor will do for you. And while a SCUT (JD 2210/2305, Kubota BX2350/BX24) will work, your land size actually puts you up into the CUT category at a minimum. (JD4100/4110, 2320/2325 and Kubota B7610/B7800, B2630/B3030).

The CUT's have HST's which should make them easy for your Mrs to operate, have enough rear pto power to work a 5' bush hog and/or 6' rear finish mower and all also can accomodate upto a 6' MMM. With all the land you have to mow, going with a 5' bush hog and/or 6' finish mower at a minimum would be what I'd recommend.

I'll address some Kubota options for you and let others handle the JD, NH and other brands.

New models in the B series starting with least expensive/less bells & whistles to the bigger more features and $$$'s.

The B7610 would be the smallest I'd consider. It has 24hp, 2 range HST, a decent FEL capacity and will handle a 72" RFM/MMM.

The B7800 has 30hp, 3 range HST handle the 72" RFM/MMM, it's the largest in the B class.

The B2630/B3030 are the premium version's of the B class. B2630 has 26hp and a 3speed HST, the B3030 has 30hp and a 3speed HST. They have all the bells and whistles.

Slightly older just discontinued models I'd recomend are the B2710 (premium 27hp)and the B2910 (premium 29hp) models. They have similar premium features thats on the new B2630/B3030. These models can be found with low hrs but since Kubota's hold their value so well, they aren't real cheap but a low hr machine will cost lower than a new model.

I have a BX23 and use it to take care of 4 acres. It handles all the mowing and maintenance tasks very well but if I had 10+ acres to maintain, I'd DEFINITELY move on up to the B series (CUT class).
My model of choice would be the B3030 w/climate controlled cab :D

Congrats fellow VET and welcome back to the world.
Good luck and enjoy the tractor shopping process, it's the best excuse to use to get out and test out all the machines :D

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #6  
Seanachie said:
Howdy, I’m a newbie from KY and I’d like to request some advice. We have a small (23 acre) gentleman’s horse farm in western Kentucky. We bought it when it was in need of maintenance and repair, both to the land and the house. I’ve pretty much got the house part solved but am wondering what to buy to maintain/repair the land.

We’ve got 4-5 acres of sloping lawn to be mown weekly and 10 acres of semi-smooth (and semi-bumpy) pasture to be limed, dragged, and knocked down 4-5 times a year. The prior owners left a bunch of tree tops at or in the woodline and I’d like to move them to either the wood pile or the burning pile. I also want to maintain/ expand some overgrown riding trails through the woods.

If I were you and since your budget appears to be tight, I'd get the Husqvarna for your lawn. To mow the weeds in your pasture, check out used tractors in your area. You could probably find a nice Ford 8N (28 hp gas engine) for under $3K and then add about $800 for a new 5-ft wide rotary mower (aka brush hog). The hog will also keep your trails in good shape and you can always add a scraper or box blade for under $500 if those trails need grading.

My neighbor puts in an 8-acre hay crop with an 8N with no trouble. Those old Fords run forever.

If you need the FEL right away, check out used Yanmar tractors in your area. You probably can find a YM-1700 with Koyker FEL for under $7K. The 1700 is roughly equivalent to the JD's you're looking at. Yanmars have a good reputation for durability.

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #7  
I actually agree with what flusher said... get a nice big garden tractor for the wife and kiddo... take your time and look for a decent older tractor for the heavy lifting. Although, if your not mechanical the older tractor thing may not be for you. They do require wrenching.

If $$ is not a big factor get a mid sized ZTR (used or new) and a used CUT.

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320
So if I go with the Husqvarna GT26K54 garden tractor for the Mrs., I've got a several question. Can you help me out with your thoughts?

I own (NIB) a 48’ snow and gravel blade, sleeve hitch, and box blade for a Husky. Also, I’m thinking of adding a Johnny Bucket to it. Anybody got these implements? What do you think of them?

My only concern with the Husky is the hand-operated ground speed control. We’re used to a forward and back foot pedal and this is a new concept. What do you folks think of this setup? How safe would it be for my daughter? And would it make things too complicated when using attachments that also use the hands to control such as the snow blade or Johnny Bucket? Can you get one with a foot hydro vs the fender mount?

I've got a nearby dealer with the 2006 GTH2454 (Intek) for $2399 vs the 2007 GTH26K54 (Kohler) for $2999. What do you think? Decent prices? Is the older one a good deal? Will I miss the two HP when using the mower or the implements? Do they still make a Kawasaki motor for this mower?

Thanks for your help!

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320 #9  
Seanachie said:
So if I go with the Husqvarna GT26K54 garden tractor for the Mrs., I've got a several question. Can you help me out with your thoughts?

I own (NIB) a 48’ snow and gravel blade, sleeve hitch, and box blade for a Husky. Also, I’m thinking of adding a Johnny Bucket to it. Anybody got these implements? What do you think of them?

My only concern with the Husky is the hand-operated ground speed control. We’re used to a forward and back foot pedal and this is a new concept. What do you folks think of this setup? How safe would it be for my daughter? And would it make things too complicated when using attachments that also use the hands to control such as the snow blade or Johnny Bucket? Can you get one with a foot hydro vs the fender mount?

I've got a nearby dealer with the 2006 GTH2454 (Intek) for $2399 vs the 2007 GTH26K54 (Kohler) for $2999. What do you think? Decent prices? Is the older one a good deal? Will I miss the two HP when using the mower or the implements? Do they still make a Kawasaki motor for this mower?

Thanks for your help!

I think you would adjust to the hand control... although I thought you were just going to be using it to mow with. If your going to try to use all those attachements i would go ahead a get at least a SCUT and just mow with that. There is nooooo comparison between even a heavy garden tractor and a SCUT.

/ Newby needs advice: GT vs SCUT vs CUT (and, of course) 2305 vs 2320
Actually, I have located a 2006 GTH26K54T which has a foot pedal control system rather than the fender shift. I'm sure we'd become used to the fender control but the foot pedals are a known quantity. Does anyone have any knowledge of the foibles of this particular model?

I think I've ruled out the 2210 and 2305 as too 'lil for the rest of the work around the farm. Once I get this Husky home, I'm gonna spend some time looking at the JD 2320, 2520 and their orange counterparts. What's the next size up in both tractor lines? I still want 4WD and HST transmission with Power Steering.

I'm going to use the Garden Tractor implements for very small maintenance projects around the place because I think it'll be about a year before I can justify having a CUT gather dust in the barn waiting for me to get home to use it.

Thanks for all the help so far. You guys are great!