Tractor Sizing What size tractor?

/ What size tractor? #1  

plf5

Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I am a newbie and would appreciate your help. What size tractor would you suggest to handle mowing of 3 acres and snow plowing a 350' driveway in Colorado? Would a blade suffice to plow the snow, or would a blower be required? Thanks in advance for your help.

/ What size tractor? #2  
plf5 said:
I am a newbie and would appreciate your help. What size tractor would you suggest to handle mowing of 3 acres and snow plowing a 350' driveway in Colorado? Would a blade suffice to plow the snow, or would a blower be required? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd look at one of the smaller CUT's or a sub CUT. I think my first choice would be a Kubota B7510 series (or equivalent Deere or New Holland).

As far as moving snow...it depends how much you normally get. I use a 72" back blade, but I make my first passes before it gets too deep. About 8" is when I'll start (but I'm operating a Deere 790 which is considerably bigger and heavier then a B7510). My drive is about 130' or a bit more, so a snow blower isn't worth it to me.

Good luck! I'm sure many other TBNer's will chime in to help you spend your money!

/ What size tractor? #3  
Welcome to TBN! :)

A lot of things go into determining the size of tractor that you need. For instance, you mention a 350' driveway in Colorado.... is that a flat driveway or up the side of a mountain? Same thing goes for the lawn... flat, rolling hills or steep slopes?

As for snow removal. We don't get too terrible much snow here where I live, so a plow works fine. In heavy snow areas, you really have to plan where to place your snow piles with a plow and sometimes it snows so much there is no where left to put it. In those situations, a blower would probably be a better choice.

So, a little more information about your land and drive as well as amount of snowfall and your elevation would be helpful. ;)

/ What size tractor? #4  
I looked at tractors for over 2 yrs! More than one good brand and the choices are many.
In my area kubota was the better choice for MY money! The b7510 or 7610 might be a good choice for you. JD makes some nice ones also. I've had alot of fun pushing snow around with the Fel this month. Good luck in the tractor hunting game!:D

Attachments

• 100_0425.jpg
    100_0425.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 304
   / What size tractor? #5  
I used a 28 hp JD to do what you want to do with your new tractor. I pulled a 6 ft Woods finish mower for mowing and used a FEL and back blade to move snow in the winter. With all the snow you folks have gotten this year a snow blower might be the ticket but I don't think you need a tractor much bigger than a 30-35 hp.

/ What size tractor? #6  
4wd in the 20-30 hp range.

Soundguy

/ What size tractor? #7  
I am in Colorado also and have been looking at used Yanmar 4wd tractors in the 25 to 35 hp range. I think I am going to pick up a tractor from Stan Hoye. Yanmar Tractor Parts, Sales, Service, and Delivery.

Give him a call or e-mail to see if he has anything of interest to you. If we both bought tractors from him we could combine shipping to Colorado. He has a few tractors with front end loaders and a few without. Ken

/ What size tractor? #8  
You can do what you describe with a large garden tractor, like bota GTs or Deere 5xx/7xx or Simplicity. These are nimble machines that make great mowers and they perform well on snow removal too. It really depends on your exact needs, though. If you will need to do other chores you might want something a little bigger, like the quite versatile SCUTs, such as bota BX's or 2xxxx deeres. After that, you are into bigger and heavier CUT sizes. Now you have many many choices in this size with most bettered suited for one chore vs. another. Besides JD and Kubota, there are many options: NH, Mahindra, Agco/MF, Kioti, TYM, Montana, and more. I would think that 30 hp or thereabouts would be the maximum you would ever need. Understand your needs. Test as many as you can and filter down to those that best fit your needs. Then one or another will speak to you.

Word of caution: don't buy too small and regret it later. Just remember, bigger machines cost more and take bigger implements, take more storage space, are harder to maneuver in tight spaces, and may require a BIG trailer and truck to haul.

/ What size tractor? #9  
I use a B7610 to mow 2.5 acres with LOTS of trees and clear around 300' of driveway in the winter. It takes about 1.9hr. on the tach to mow the place with the 60" MMM.

The B7610 was a good choice. Because of the trees, I'm glad it isn't bigger. Because of ground clearance issues, I'm glad I didn't go with the smaller BX2350 I almost bought.

Still, if the lawn were wide-open with few obstacles, I think now I would choose either a B7800 or a B3030. Both are heavier, have 4 cylinder engines and their FELs lift about a foot higher than the B7510/7610 FELs. Plus the B3030 has position control on the 3pt. hitch. They'd cost more, for sure, but they're more tractor.
FWIW
Bob

/ What size tractor? #10  
plf5:

Welcome to TBN :D! You are getting some solid advise so far. The question I have- how much snow do you usually get? My tractor easily handled the only "real" snowstorm we got this year (15.5") so far. I maintain 12+ A's (~7A's field/"lawn", 2 large gardens, ~ 5A's wooded, and ~ 200' driveway area) with a NH TC29DA (29/23+ PTO HP). Jay