JD4100 aluminum rear end

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #11  
<font color=blue>What's the reason?</font color=blue>

Good question. Maybe its easier to machine aluminum than steel./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Glenn, I can tell ya that the "rear end" on a JD 4100 actually consists of no less than 7 major compononts.

There's a rear transaxle housing, left & right final drive housings, end covers, rockshaft housing, wheelhubs, and drawbar hitch.

The rear transaxle housing and left and right drive housings are aluminum, and the rest of the assembly, the final drive housing end covers, drawbar hitch, wheel hubs, and rockshaft housing are all steel or cast iron.

The 3point lift asy attaches to the all steel or cast iron parts.

As for its design strength I can also tell ya that I've rammed and slammed the 3point thru 2 New England winters and 2 summers. Bent a cheap grader blade, broke a drawbar pin weld, bent a landscape rake, bent a cheapo kk cultivator. Also I bushhog with it, rototill, and pull logs with the drawbar too.

No complaints from the tractor or from the owner either./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

DFB

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #12  
One thing that I find interesting about this topic. Consider that the 4100 is a very popular model. Also consider that it has been in production since 1998. The only conclusion that can be drawn by the track record so far is that the 4100 has been the most dependable of the 4000 series tractors. There have been no design flaws reported that I'm aware of, nor has there been much complaints of any sort of problem with this model (except maybe a little small and light weight for some jobs). We have not heard one report of rear axle failure on this board or other boards, even among those who have installed 3ph backhoes. HMMM, maybe this discussion is making much out of nothing.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #13  
I bet most people buy a 4100 class tractor to mow lawns. You don't necessarily want a heavy tractor for a lawn mower.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #14  
i bought mine to do light duty work of all sorts.
[road repair, landscaping, etc]. mowing was secondary as i had a riding mower at the time.

i needed the smallest 4wd 20hp machine out there since i am using it in places that a large machine can not fit [like driving through people-sized gates into people's back yards].

the 4100 has been excellent for all of these light duty chores. the goal was to eliminate manual labor on my part [my rule for tractor work is that i do not get off of the seat ;) ]

again, like you said - it is a light duty machine.
in my opinion, almost a perfect light duty machine.

if i was doing heavy work, i would have something else.

the 4100 is not made in the u.s. in case anyone was wondering.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #15  
Sorry guys I couldn't stay out of this any longer. If you want heft and strength buy KIOTI. All cast iron and what ain't is extremely heavy steel. No aluminum on the Kioti's whatsoever. The 20.5 hp 1914 wieghs 2132lbs and is able to handle KIOTI's 7 1/2 backhoe. Now that's tough. Of course I may be a little biased. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #16  
Always have someone lurking to throw in a jab. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I agree with FC. I have used my 4100 for all kinds of tasks. Pushing, pulling, digging, hauling, mowing, plowing, and just riding around for fun. This past weekend I cleared out a small embankment of small trees, multiflora rose, rocks, and honeysuckle. Stretched some new fencing that was damaged by a fallen dead tree. The 4100 is a tough little guy. I could have used a 4200 or 4300 for a couple of the trees I popped out, but the 4100 did it's job. I have some photos of the work in progress and I'll post them either tonight or tomorrow.

When I think about it, what difference, except for weight, does it make that the differential is aluminum. Airplanes are made out of aluminum and they fly real good and last a long time. Engineering is the key and I'm guessing that the differential design engineers knew what they were doing.

Terry

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #17  
I do agree somewhat. I have used and ABUSED a tractor that has a aluminum rearend in it as a matter of fact I had a B-H mounted on it. I never had any trouble with it but I prefer the cast iron variety. I like heavy built rearends. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #18  
Kioti85,

<font color=blue>I like heavy built rearends.</font color=blue>

Now, do you mean... nah... better not go there. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #19  
terry: i was thinking the same thing/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif but decided not to go there either.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #20  
Weight will be the only "heavy" part of Kioti ownership. Resale will redefine the word LIGHT.