JD4100 aluminum rear end

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #1  

appleton123

We are going to buy a compact tractor. Heard that the 4100 has an alum rear end and this can be a problem esp if you want to put a backhoe on it. I wonder if it is weak, then is there the real potential for problems down the road from anything on the rear - tranny, three point hitch, etc.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #2  
I don't know what it's made of, but the looks of the rear axle system is one of the reasons why I did not buy a 4100 last year. Is it stupid to buy on looks? Yes. But I just could not get over the way that it looked so weak. Bought a TC21D instead (primarily because I liked the dealer better)

However - I have not heard a single word of any problems with the 4100... I would imagine that it is a fine tractor. You might want to wait for the 4X10 series. I hear that the prices are no higher and the features... well... I don't know... but their the new models...

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #3  
Appleton123
I had also heard of the aluminum rearend on the 4100. I was told by my dealer who sells both JD and NH. He told me about selling a Woods backhoe to someone with a 4100 after they had put the hoe on and sent in the warranty papers, Woods responded to them by, telling them that the hoe would void the 4100's warranty. The dealer ended up buying the hoe back. The person with the 4100 had not used the hoe so I don't think any damage was done. That was another reason I went with the NH TC18. Now all of this is second hand information passed on to me by the dealer. We were discussing what I was going to do with the tractor and that happened to come up. I don't think you can beat the NH.
Solo

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #4  
Yes, I believe that the rear casting are aluminum. I have a 4100 and have not had any issues with it. Now, on the other hand, if I was going to use a backhoe I might rethink having a 4100.

Hmmm.... maybe that is why their is no backhoe option on the 4100.

Terry

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #5  
When it come to tractors you need weight to be able to apply power. A cast iron axle would be preferred for the extra weight.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #6  
I have a 4100 with a Kelley B600 backhoe. From what I have researched, the key factor is a sub-frame mounted hoe. A hoe unsupported on the 3PH is not recommended and could/would void the warranty. My setup includes a sub-frame and additional hydro pump. Have used it moderately, no problems to speak of. Its never been abused. I bought it new, already installed on a new 4100 from a reputable JD dealer. One year left on the original warranty, so, I do have my fingers crossed. No clue on the aluminum rear-end though....

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #7  
I'm wondering why your John Deere dealer went against Deere Corp's 4100 is not compatible with any backhoe...

Well... legally... I'd say you'll have an extremely strong case against your dealer if any major mishap happens... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #8  
I have read this thread three times now over the past couple of days and I can't keep quiet anymore.

WHY IN BLAZES WOULD JOHN DEERE PUT AN ALUMINUM REAR END ON ONE OF THEIR TRACTORS? THAT SEEMS REALLY, REALLY STUPID.

It can't be to save weight; weight is what you lack in a compact tractor.

It's hard to believe that the company would save that much money on each tractor by using aluminum instead of cast iron.

Cast iron certainly is as rigid and unflexing as aluminum in this application, if not more so.

I give up. What's the reason? (I hope the answer isn't too obvious)

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #9  
Kubota uses aluminum in there b series and bx rearends also.

/ JD4100 aluminum rear end #10  
Where does Kubota use aluminum in the B-series backend? It all "looks" like cast iron or steel (axel housing/tranny cover/ etc)?