!6 Acres of Scrub (what si

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #21  
As many know, I am a grapple fanatic but it is mostly from having spent a year trying to clear land without a grapple. Consider that in your budget too. The combo of a grapple and bush hog on a 20-30hp machine would be more useful for the clearing you are anticipating than a 40-50hp tractor with just an FEL. For $20,000 you could get a slightly used 20-30 hp CUT, add a grapple, bush hog and BH and have a very efficient and flexible land clearing tool.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like good advice. I am looking in the 30hp range and will definatly consider the grapple with the work I have ahead of me. Could you tell me more about the size trees you are clearing?

Thanks

bigtwinhog

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #22  
With a grapple and weight of the tractor I can usually push over/rip out an entire 5" diameter tree without getting off the tractor. That is in relatively sandy soil and the trees are weed trees of some sort not Oaks. My tractor is a relatively heavy 21hp Kioti CK20.

I don't mean to imply that I can get those 5" trees in 10 seconds, I often need to use the grapple to dig at the roots to soften them up on one side before successfully pushing the tree over to about 45 degrees. After that it is pretty easy as you can then get the grapple under the main roots.

I now only use a chain saw on trees >5-6 inches and even with bigger trees I'll sometimes take a crack at getting them with the grapple/fel.

Attachments

• IMG_0883 small.JPG
    IMG_0883 small.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 100
   / !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #23  
Actually, I am going to take a different poke at this..... I definitely understand the want and sometimes need of buying the largest unit you can afford. i was in that boat when I very first started looking. I am getting ready to purchase roughly 7 ac behind my propert which will bring me up to about 14 ac total. All of that including a lot of my property is un maintained woods with a lot of undergrowth. I ended up talking myself out of a big kahuna because I wanted to buy something that I was going to be able to use all the time. Basically an all encompasing machine. I wanted it to mow as well as it would dig holes or move stuff around. I also wanted something that would not tear up my property and landscaping mowing and moving stuff around. I still have quite a few large trees on my property so I wanted something that was also manueverable and something that did not require a barn of its own or be the dominating feature in a barn. I already have 2 suburbans, a fullsize pick up, 2 boats, and four daughters.... oldest just got her first car, so I am pressed for room as it is :) I ended up buying a MF 2310 TLB. My thoughts are trees that are larger than the 4-5" area could be cut down because I was going to have to saw them up anyway. Any trees larger then 20" would probably be staying unless they were rotted which would still require me to cut down and cut up. Most stumps I could take my time and dig up with the back hoe easily. For "large" stumps... I will simply rent a stump grinder for a day or a weekend. In the long run, it will take me longer than it would by simply renting two D-9's and straping anchor chain between them but I will be doing it at my own pace plus I will be repairing and clearing property as I go. In the end when it al all over.... I will still have something that is very useful around here and will still be used. So far I have been completely happy with my decision.... If I had more storage room I probably would have went up to the MF 1500 series or the NH TC series and sacrificed a little less "mowing" for a little more working capacity. Where you are differing is that you are going to be running livestock of sorts and that is the only area in my mind that you need to decypher how large of equipment you need...... :D