!6 Acres of Scrub (what si

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #1  

coondog

I just bought a 16ac tract thats covered with small trees and brush. I'm not going to clear it all but probably will clear most of it over a period of time with a tractor and a chainsaw.
I've been shopping for a tractor w/ FEL. I already have a chainsaw.:)
I'm going to build a house, barn etc. and plan on raising some meat/dairy goats. Small time stuff.
The lay of the land is pretty consistent with what you see in the picture as are the type and size of the trees.
My question is this:
What would be the best compromise in tractor size to accomplish most of what I need the tractor to do now, clearing brush, and what I'll need it to do in the future, general mini-farm duties?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I need to stay below $20g.
I grew up on a small 200 acre dairy farm back in the 60's but the land was already cleared. All we had to worry about was plowing, sewing , and hay production.
Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• Scrub.jpg
    Scrub.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
   / !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #2  
Your land look a lot like mine did, where are you located? I bought a 24 HP 2WD Yanmar with a bush hog and a box blade. That would serve your purposes well on 16 acres. Good luck!

coondog said:
I just bought a 16ac tract thats covered with small trees and brush. I'm not going to clear it all but probably will clear most of it over a period of time with a tractor and a chainsaw.
I've been shopping for a tractor w/ FEL. I already have a chainsaw.:)
I'm going to build a house, barn etc. and plan on raising some meat/dairy goats. Small time stuff.
The lay of the land is pretty consistent with what you see in the picture as are the type and size of the trees.
My question is this:
What would be the best compromise in tractor size to accomplish most of what I need the tractor to do now, clearing brush, and what I'll need it to do in the future, general mini-farm duties?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I need to stay below $20g.
I grew up on a small 200 acre dairy farm back in the 60's but the land was already cleared. All we had to worry about was plowing, sewing , and hay production.
Thanks for your opinions!

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #3  
30hp range if you don't plan onmoving large round bales.. possibly 40hp range if you plan on doing any large bale moving.

Soundguy

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #4  
What part of the country are you in?

Are you beholding to a particular line of tractor?

With respect to tractors, everyone else says get the biggest you can afford.:)

I would suggest a chipper shredder for your tractor. That way you can clear brush with out fire worries. I know some farmers use bull-dozers to clear the brush away when they are repairing (renovating) pastures. its quick and dirty.

Congratulations on your purchase of land.

John

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si
Hey! Thanks for the fast responses!

I'm in upstate South Carolina.

As far as beholding to a particular brand, I want the biggest bang for the buck. When American tractor companies started sticking their names and reputations on imports I quit trying real hard to buy American made farm equipment. Now it's almost impossible to buy American made. Brand makes no differrence to me.

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #6  
coondog said:
Hey! Thanks for the fast responses!

I'm in upstate South Carolina.

As far as beholding to a particular brand, I want the biggest bang for the buck. When American tractor companies started sticking their names and reputations on imports I quit trying real hard to buy American made farm equipment. Now it's almost impossible to buy American made. Brand makes no differrence to me.

Are those scrub oaks by any chance?? If they are make sure you put in a good masonry fireplace with a thermostat controlled woodburning stove insert. Then you'll be set for sometime to come....PS, I've got 34 acres of the same thing I'm working on in Central VA. I'd suggest 35 to 40HP. I'd suggest you look around for 50HP diesel used Utility tractor with an FEL. If its in good shape (less than 3000 hours), you'll be $$ ahead. Since you're already a re-tread farm boy, it should be like goin' home....Good luck! BobG in VA

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #7  
Coondog,
If you want bang for your buck scroll on down to the Chinese forums. I'll be getting a Lenar here in a couple of weeks. LE304 Basic no frills. If dealer service is utmost, them find something local that you trust. Isn't Farmtrac located down that way? Keep us posted.
John

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si
Went down to the Deere Dealer today and eyeballed a 5103 w/FEL, he quoted $16800.00. It's supposed to be rated at 42hp@pto. Have any of ya'll had any experience with this particular model? I was not enthused about the "Assembled In India" plate pinned on the thing, I mean, call it what it is. Would I be better off with a Mahindra?
I priced a Mahindra also but they wanted $19,800 for a 35hp w/FEL. I don't know if it was measured at the engine or the pto but it just seemed like a heck of a lot of money for a tractor with no track record in my locale.
I don't have a problem with an import but this thing of putting native brands on foreign machinery irks the **** out of me.

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #9  
BobG_in_VA said:
I'd suggest 35 to 40HP. I'd suggest you look around for 50HP diesel used Utility tractor with an FEL. If its in good shape (less than 3000 hours), you'll be $$ ahead.
That's the best advice you have gotten so far. I'll be even more specific and say look for a Ford/New Holland 3930, 4630, 5610, up to a 6610. The range in those tractors is from about 40 drawbar hp up to over 70 hp. There won't be a great price difference from the lowest hp in that list to the highest hp, and a loader for any of them should cost 4K to 5K depending on brand, etc. The best bargains on tractors are in the Ag Utilities, and they are 10 times the tractor the CUT's are. Stay out of China.

What ever tractor you get, don't be trying to push down those trees with the fel, unless you get a 100hp industrial wheel loader. A farm tractor just isn't made for clearing land. Saw up those scrub oaks, load the firewood in the bucket, and stay warm all winter.

For what it's worth: I bought a new Farmtrac 535 in August and put a loader on it last Month. I have just a tad under 15K in it and have been extremely pleased with the way it has performed. It handles light brush, like privet and small chinaberries with no problem. I would not try to tackle trees the size of those in your picture with it, but I wouldn't with a 60 hp farm tractor, either. The 535 is rated at 30 pto hp.

/ !6 Acres of Scrub (what si #10  
I would suggest you get most of the hard work out of the way by renting a dozer. I had 5ac that I have been picking away at for 5 years with a tractor, finally I rented a CAT, and cleared it all in 7 hours. Cost was $50.00/per hour for the CAT. Best money I have ever spent. I have a guy coming tomorrow with a chipper and 4 guys for $100.00 per hour to mulch it all.

HPIM0624.jpg

HPIM0709.jpg