Tractor Sizing Beginner needs some advice on size and implements!

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #11  
There are several quality brands available that might save you some $$$. I looked for 6 months before settling on a Kioti CK30 hst with fel. I paid $16300 and have since spent $2600 on implements (5' galvanized brush, 5' box 1/2" steel, 6' rake, and 6' tubed disc). I enjoy the tractor.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #12  
Nathan_OR,
Welcome, I know where your coming from looking for an all around tractor that can be with you for years to come. You don't say where your located, or what dealers are in your area and this can make a huge difference? Go see ALL of them, and don't become color blind. Try them all on and see what you are comfortable with, and which one fits YOUR butt best. You already have some seat time on your uncle's tractor, so don't be afraid to ask him his opinion. Talk to dealers, and get some kind of feel for which dealer you feel comfortable with. Right now it is tough to decide between new, or used. With 0% or close it may be cheaper to buy new, but there are others that are upgrading their equipment, and their used could be just what you would be looking for. Remember a USED tractor may mean a NEW implement, or vice versa. ;) Hopefully your not in a rush, and can keep riding dealers lots until what you are looking for pops up. (usually right after you buy something else:D ). I would say for what your doing something around 30hp would work well. This should be doable with what you have to spend. Concentrate on just what you have to have, and get the rest when you can find a bargain. (Looking for another implement is half the fun :D ). I wouldn't worry to much about a hoe at this time, as you can get a lot of work done by a pro for the 4-7k that owning one will cost. If it is important to you just make sure that what ever you buy can be upgraded for a how at a later time. Keep following this board, and asking questions about anything you don't understand. Some really good help here, and always willing to spend YOUR money, as ours is all gone. :D
Visit the manufactures web sites also. They will usually have pictures of what your trying to understand, and you can make better decisions seeing them and knowing that some are just too big or too small for your application and can be ruled out right away. Hope this helps, and we will all be waiting for your additional posts to see what works for you. Good luck, and have fun.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #13  
Nathan_OR said:
Really helpful stuff guys and good questions. I get what you guys are saying about two tractors. Okay so let's assume for now that the loader work, fence work, and pasture mowing (rotary brush hog, not finish mow) are the top priorities. I don't have to drive into the stalls, so I don't need a super narrow SCUT (e.g. the vineyard-style 4100's I've seen). I really want something big enough to handle the post hole digger and eventually have the option to add a back hoe, because I have lots of plans to do dirt work, like a race track, a patio, and pathways all over, plus a foundation for a new barn, etc etc., but that's all a ways down the road.

Not sure exactly what you're planning, but IMHO the dirt work you list above would not benefit from a backhoe (unless you're planning a full perimeter foundation for the barn, rather than a pole barn). Sounds like boxblade and FEL work to me. A backhoe is most useful for digging basements, trenches, and removing tree stumps.

Also, a posthole digger doesn't require a huge tractor. A 30hp CUT should be fine unless you're trying to dig through rock.

Personally I would only buy new for a brushhog, because used will likely be beat up badly and you will probably use it a lot. Also, the size of cutter you want will affect your tractor purchase. I wanted a 6' and that made me focus on CUT's and utilities with at least 35 PTO hp. A 5' seems like it would be plenty for your place and that only requires 25-30 hp PTO hp, depending who you ask.

Nathan_OR said:
BTW slightly off-topic, what is "top n tilt" on a loader? Don't they all have bucket tilt nowadays?

Top n'tilt is actually something on the 3 point hitch at the rear of a tractor, and it allows you to tilt implements side to side and vary the top link length which affects the forward angle of the implement. Very handy for blade work, but not a real common feature (though available as an option on lots of tractors).

I've been thinking some more and I am going to suggest focusing on CUT's (not SCUTs) in the 30-40hp range. I would look at both the basic models, especially the L4400 and JD 990, and the fancier models. I think a lot of your work would be a lot easier with HST, but that usually means a fancier tractor and so drives the price up several thousand for a given size/hp class. An L4400 would be on the big end of what you want, and would be around $20k for 4wd and FEL, no implements.

I've looked at all major brands except Massey-Ferguson (no dealer near me). All are fine. I personally chose Deere, but I was very impressed with Kioti, and I wouldn't feel at all bad with Kubota, NH or IH either. Look at all of those, plus Massey if you have a local dealer, before deciding. I echo the advice to stay away from Chinese brands that you won't be able to get parts for in 3 years. In fact, one reason I chose Deere was because it was the only brand I thought I could likely get parts for in 30+ years, which is a realistic lifespan for a good tractor. Another reason is ergonomics - for me the Deere ergos were great. Again I was also impressed with Kioti ergonomics, and NH. I personally found Kubota's ergonomics on the L and M series not so great. Pay close attention to the location and feel of the position control lever for the 3ph, as you will be using it a lot more than you may think.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #14  
Most brands have been mentioned already. But, you should also consider Mahindra, TYM, Agco, Montana, and Branson. Branson is highly regarded for its loader capabilities. And the TYM T273 would be just about perfect for you. HST would be high on my list if doing a lot of loader work.

Many of the second tier brands will save you some money, in most cases. For example, I bought a new Kioti CK25 gear TLB, phd, 7' back blade, tooth bar, loaded tires, grill guard, and rear remotes for just under $20K. The big three couldn't touch that price in similar machines. So, far I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Also, a very low hour used machine is just as good as new and might allow you to get all the implements you want within budget. I don't think a SCUT would serve you as well in your situation. And keep the lawn tractor.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements!
Thanks again everyone, this is VERY helpful advice. The tips on what to pay attention to are great. The suggestions on models from other manufacturers too. One point that changed my thinking some was the idea that getting implements over time will allow me to bargain hunt, and yeah it'll be fun too. That means I can spend all my money on the tractor now (plus FEL and rotary cutter, I hope).

I found a NH dealer within 30 miles of my place, so that's good. So I am going to go drive the NH TC3xDA, a JD 3x20, and a Kubota B3030. I'm going to look mainly at the ergos (I'm 6'5" so some may fit me better than others), pay attention to how long the dealer has been there how how established they seem to be, etc. There are two JD dealers so I'll go to both. One Kubota, and one NH. I'll tell you guys what I learn.

I'm still not sure that I should be looking at these tractors based on MSRP. The JD 3320 for example is $17,359 MSRP, plus $3,270 MSRP for a 300X FEL and Ballast, plus $2059 for a rotary cutter. I couldn't find MSRPs online for the NH or Kubota, but I assume they are similar since these are the competing models to the JD 3x20 series. If I can get 10% off by haggling, I could get down to my max of $20k, but I have no idea if that is realistic. I can be patient and tell the dealer to call me when they can give me the whole package at $20k, which would be 20% off MSRP, but I have no clue if that is just insulting or what.

Again guys, so much thanks, I feel like all my neighbors are pitching in to help me sort this out! What a great bunch. And yeah you'll get to revel in the pictures of my new tractor when it's all done, don't worry ;)

Nathan

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #16  
Most dealers are good about letting you drive more than one tractor if you're seriously shopping, and that will tell you a lot more. The ones you list are all good to check out, but I personally would try out the following as well:
JD 790, 990, and 4120
NH TC40DA and their basic model whose name escapes me (TC30?)
Kubota L3400, preferably both gear and HST if they have both in stock

By trying out multiple sizes and basic/fancy versions you will get a good sense of what is going to be best for you. The JD 4120 and NH TC40 are probably going to be bigger and pricier than you want/need, but it's good to compare everything. I checked out things from a Kioti DK35 to a Kubota M7040 cab while shopping, even though I had a pretty good sense that I was sticking to the 40-50hp range.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #17  
Z-Michigan has given you some good models to look at.

A couple of others are the New Holland TC35, Kubota L3130 and L3430.

The Kubota LXX30's are being replaced with the LXX40's so they may be offering some incentivies to move these out. Around here I have seen a L3130 with FEL advertized at $16500. Most likely a gear model with 513 loader. But you could get the Hydro and 713 loader for a couple thousand more. And add around $800.00 for a 5' brush hog.

Let us know what the prices are like in your area.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #18  
Originally I too wanted one tractor that could handle all the chores including finish mowing the 1.5 acre lawn. Then I priced out mid mount mowers and realized that its going to be akward to cut it with a rear finish mower.

For 0.5 acre of lawn, keep your dedicated riding mower or buy a new one.

There are some nice 'basic' models from the manufacturers as mentioned by others - JD 790, Kubota B7800 and the Kubota L3400 to name a few. I ended up with a Kubota L3400 with hydro and am very happy with it. I think that it was a better bet than the B7800 for a bit more money - extra weight, larger frame etc.

Some mistakes I made that you should try not to:
- Get the dealer to throw in welded chain hooks on the loader bucket.
- Get the tires loaded as part of the deal or pay for it upfront.
- Get them to throw a ballast box in as part of the loader package.
- Get at least two remotes installed.
- Get a hydraulic top-link.
- Get some of the implements you will need up-front.

I wish I had done some of this stuff and thrown it into the financing - even for a longer term. Much harder to make a decision to buy this stuff one at a time later on (much harder to convince the Mrs that is!)

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #19  
hunterridgefarm said:
Z-Michigan has given you some good models to look at.

A couple of others are the New Holland TC35, Kubota L3130 and L3430.

The Kubota LXX30's are being replaced with the LXX40's so they may be offering some incentivies to move these out. Around here I have seen a L3130 with FEL advertized at $16500. Most likely a gear model with 513 loader. But you could get the Hydro and 713 loader for a couple thousand more. And add around $800.00 for a 5' brush hog.

Let us know what the prices are like in your area.
IMHO the L3130 is a lot of tractor for the money.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #20  
Nathon, where you located in Or.?

What first came to mind as I read your initial post was a CUT in the mid to upper 20 HP range. The back hoe is the one thing I'm not sure of.

Keep the riding mower for the yard and you won't have to be concerned about tearing up the lawn with something bigger.

Is a low hr used tractor suitable? With money saved it can go to purchase more/better implements.

I bought a use Yaname last yr and I think it could handle most everything you've mentioned. Cost with new FEL, new 5' mower and good used 4.5' tiller was just under $10k. Had 1k hrs on it and runs like a champ and no problems. Tips the scale at 4k# with just the Fel. enough weight to get the power to the ground.