Tractor Sizing Beginner needs some advice on size and implements!

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #31  
Z-Michigan said:
The 3320 sounds great! Come to the green side...

I would skip the ballast box if you have any use for a box blade, unless you'll be working in areas too tight to maneuver with a box blade.QUOTE=Z-Michigan]

I agree no ballast box, get the box blade. I have a 30hp nh class II cut with an 60" KK box blade. I believe it is 380# I pickup 4 suitcase weights at an auction that hang perfectly on the sides of that box blade. giving me about 580# for ballast for the fel. with the loaded rear tires I get no bounce with a full bucket. Plus it smoothed out the BB operation. I bought all 4 for $65

I also did not buy a package of implements with the tractor.
I would look at adding some rear hydraulic remotes to your tractor fel purchase.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements!
Z-Michigan said:
The 3320 sounds great! Come to the green side...

On the NH, no complaints on the TC34 either. However, I would hesitate to get something with only one nearby dealer and not being sure about them. That's half or more of why I don't own a Kioti right now. Question - do you have any nearby dealers for Case International? Their CUTs are exactly the same as NH, just in red instead of blue. That would potentially give you more options.
Thanks, I'll look and see if there's a case dealer.

Z-Michigan said:
I think ballast really depends on how much the box blade weighs and how much FEL lift you have. If you have a heavy ish box blade (500+ lbs) and your FEL capacity is just a little over 1000lbs, you may not need more ballast than that. I would skip the ballast box if you have any use for a box blade, unless you'll be working in areas too tight to maneuver with a box blade.
Good, that'll save me a few hundred bucks on the ballast. I'll get the HD boxblade they've got... I think it's a Frontier 2060.

Z-Michigan said:
Definitely get either telescoping draft links or a quick hitch, but I agree that you don't need both. I would also add work lights at time of purchase as you'll find them useful before very long. Finally, any tractor with an FEL SHOULD have a grill guard - it's usually included in the FEL setup, though it may be a separate line item on the manufacturer's price sheet.

Okay, I'll probably go iMatch just b/c I like the idea of being able to drop my boxblade and put on the receiver hitch quickly. I'll also spec the worklights and deluxe brush guard (cool looking!).

Thanks for the advice.

Nathan

Last edited:
   / Beginner needs some advice on size and implements!
hockeyhead said:
I would look at adding some rear hydraulic remotes to your tractor fel purchase.

I think it comes with 2 mid SCVs for the FEL... not sure though, will I need to add a rear SCV to raise/lower the BB?

I assume the 3rd mid SCV is for a grapple or similar, so I don't need it right now. Is that right?

Thanks!

Nathan

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #34  
Love to hear how the TYM works for you. I loved the NH's as well, but there were so many extras with the TYM. But the resale came into play a lot... Still ended up with a tractor I could never resell... But it works for my budget and property...

Carl

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #35  
you will have two rear hydraulic remotes in the rear, controlled from the drivers seat I believe you will need at least one if a BH is in the future,
for a top and tilt system for the BB, control a grapple, etc..
just get the valves in place.

I bought mine for a top and tilt system for my blades
On my purchase , it would have been cheaper to add them up front than at a later date as I did.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #36  
I have a 3320 and really like it. I checked the other brands also but the ergonomics and features really sold me on the Deere. The Loadmatch is a great option for loader work because it gives you the torque without loosing power or rpm's. It really lets you big that bucket in and get a full load. The 3320 with cx loader also gives you better than 1600 pounds weight capacity which is more than the other brands.

I am also tall, 6'7" and I can get on and off with ease and have sufficient room for the pedals. I would recommend the JD weight box. It is less than $200 and a lot more compact that a box blade hanging off your rear. When you have something sizable like a box blade, or other implement, to give you weight, you need to watch how you manouver to keep from hitting things when doing close loader work. The weight box with sand is about 650 pounds and filled with concrete gives you over 800. If you have the I-match, putting the box on and off is about a 30 second job.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #37  
Since you mentioned Frontier - I just bought my Deere tractor with a Deere LX6 cutter (since replaced by Frontier 1072, I think) and a Frontier rear blade RB2184. I am totally happy with the tractor quality, but I think the implements are merely good quality and for slightly more money I think you can do better with Woods or possibly Landpride. You might want to check out all implement brands separately from the tractor to get the best overall package. I may buy Frontier again, but I will do so after comparing it closely to a third party brand.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #38  
One thing to remember about Frontier is that they sometimes sell implements made by other makers. One of their earlier box blades was made by, or at least identical to a Woods model. So, as mentioned, look carefully at the Frontier implements.

I have the LX-6. I bought it used in good condition for about what a new King Kutter would cost. It is clearly better than the KK and Howse mowers and comparable to the Bush Hog Squealer line. I never compared it to Woods or Landpride.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #39  
Hey Nathan,

I have a John Deere 2320 and handle all of the tasks you have been doing or want to do. It's a great size machine for my needs. I have 6 acres of property in Florida. Have stalls to muck out, pastures to knock down, fencing to do and already done, old heavy growth that has been cleared and boxblades and now seeded to grass, driveway to maintain, and much landscaping to be doe around the house. I have box blade, landscape rake, LX 5 rotary mower, post hole digger, arena drag. Also rigged up a hitch to move aound my horse trailer and utility trailer with a ball on the front hitch.

Please check out my pictures as it shows many of these items.

I truely beleive a machine about this size weather it is orange, green, blue or red (or anoter color for that matter) would do you well. I really wanted a samll machine with position control which this Deere has. It has done everything asked of it and more.

/ Beginner needs some advice on size and implements! #40  
N80 said:
One thing to remember about Frontier is that they sometimes sell implements made by other makers. One of their earlier box blades was made by, or at least identical to a Woods model. So, as mentioned, look carefully at the Frontier implements.

I finally opened the manual for my rear blade and it appears to have been made by some place called Tecnomec Agricola, which appears to be a Mexican company (the entire warranty page refers to this company, but nothing else in the operator's manual does). The blade seems quite good and I had initially thought it might be made by Woods, who I had read on here (prior to your post) made some Frontier blades. All considered, though, I have found some minor issues with my Frontier (Tecnomec) blade, and for $1100 instead of the $895 I paid I could have bought a Woods medium duty 84" blade that would have one extra feature and probably be made a little nicer yet. Not sure which one I would choose if doing it over again. I can say that when I get around to buying a box blade I will most likely be getting Woods or Landpride.

Anyway, this is a bit of a diversion. What I would take away from this is that there's no particular reason your implements need to come from the same company that made your tractor, although it's probably worth browsing that brand if the dealer has it in stock. I note that none of my local Kubota dealers seem to carry Kubota implements - two carry Woods and the other two carry Landpride. Just learned that my Deere dealer has Landpride too. No surprise that the Deere dealers all carry Frontier - I don't think they get a choice! And not to belabor the point but I think some Frontier stuff is excellent, but other stuff is just filling part of the line to provide a green paint option.