Dealer recommendations / Shipping to the UK

/ Dealer recommendations / Shipping to the UK #1  

isv

Tractor
Kubota B3030
Hi,

I'm looking for a compact to handle my small 4 acre lot here in the UK. Unfortunately our tractor prices are high - second hand prices especially (dealers typically asking $18k before tax for a 3 year old machine with 500 hrs).

I've been thinking about buying something in the US and getting it shipped over. I am comfortable handling the UK end (import duty, VAT etc) but could really do with a recommendation for a US dealer who is happy to ship overseas.

I'd like a new (or slightly used) JD790+FEL or would consider one of the Kubota's as an alternative. Anyone here shipped one already and, if so, was it worth the effort?

Alan.

/ Dealer recommendations / Shipping to the UK #2  
Alan, as a general rule I find that used equipment - cars, tractors, tools, etc. - hold their price better in North America than they do in the UK. I sold a pile of construction equipment before coming here only to find that the cost of replacing it with the same, used stuff was far more expensive even after taking into account the cost of shipping.

You can do a web search for compacts and see what prices dealers are charging here, factor in the cost of shipping, then see if it's worth the trouble for a machine you won't be able to see or test drive.

I got a quote three years ago for shipping my used Mercedes G wagen here from the UK and it was around $5,500. I would think shipping a compact in the other direction won't be too far off that. Incidentally, my G wagen - a babied 1992 diesel with around 60k miles - was worth around $16,500 CAD in the UK. Cost of buying the same here, $32 - $38,000 CAD.

Another option you might consider is buying private in the UK rather than through a dealership.

/ Dealer recommendations / Shipping to the UK #3  
Might I suggest you contact, Carver Equipment Introduction . Steve Carver is a member here on TBN and I believe that he said that he ships overseas. He is a good, honest guy to work with.

/ Dealer recommendations / Shipping to the UK #4  
We've shipped overseas several times with used equipment. You can get yourself in alot of hot water real quick by selling new equipment overseas.

Drop me a line at neilm--at--messicks.com if you'd like a few options.