Default plowing

I am buying a new tractor and want to have the capability to plow and disk. The site contains land (about 2 acres) which hasn't been plowed for over a decade. I'd like to buy a tractor powerful enough to be able to plow such a site, but don't want to spend too much money. How many horsepower do I need? I'm considering a Mahindra, which is made in India. They have 35, 40, and 45 hp models, diesel, 4WD.

Any help from experienced plowers would be welcomed. I have a small operation with several 2-3 acre tracts, but nothing huge by many farmer's standards.

Many thanks!

Griz

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: plowing

Griz,
    It all depends on how big of a plow you want to pull. If you only want to pull a one bottom plow then the 35 hp would probably be fine. If you want to pull a two bottom plow then I'd go for the 40 or 45 hp. Depending on your budget and price differential I would go with the 45 hp one anyway. You are never going to regret having more hp.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B7500HSD

Default Re: plowing

I'm in the process of plowing a 2.5 acre field that hasn't been touched in about 20 years. I'm using my B7500 (21Hp) and a single bottom plow. Even with my turfs I'm able to get the job done. However, if you are able to equip yourself with something a little larger, like cowboydoc says - you won't regret it.