plowing

/ plowing #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am buying a new tractor and want to have the capability to plow and disk. The site contains land (about 2 acres) which hasn't been plowed for over a decade. I'd like to buy a tractor powerful enough to be able to plow such a site, but don't want to spend too much money. How many horsepower do I need? I'm considering a Mahindra, which is made in India. They have 35, 40, and 45 hp models, diesel, 4WD.

Any help from experienced plowers would be welcomed. I have a small operation with several 2-3 acre tracts, but nothing huge by many farmer's standards.

Many thanks!

Griz

/ plowing #2  
Griz,
It all depends on how big of a plow you want to pull. If you only want to pull a one bottom plow then the 35 hp would probably be fine. If you want to pull a two bottom plow then I'd go for the 40 or 45 hp. Depending on your budget and price differential I would go with the 45 hp one anyway. You are never going to regret having more hp.

/ plowing #3  
I'm in the process of plowing a 2.5 acre field that hasn't been touched in about 20 years. I'm using my B7500 (21Hp) and a single bottom plow. Even with my turfs I'm able to get the job done. However, if you are able to equip yourself with something a little larger, like cowboydoc says - you won't regret it.