Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #1  

zusmc

Been looking for a while and was gonna go with a Yanmar, but with what there bringing i might just get a new tractor. I've got about 2 acres of yard to mow and another 2 acres of field beside my house, I want 4x4 and to get a woods mower and possibly a FEL. Any suggestions would be great on the best bang for the buck. This is just for my use around my house and my dads so i dont need anything but the basics. Any good deals being offered??? Any good dealers in NC ? or close for the right deal!!!!!

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #2  
I just got my 1st tractor. I almost went the Chinese route as you are considering. But then I read these forums, and read and read.

Everything I mention below I learned for THESE very forums.

I won't name any specific brand but one Chinese tractor brand was having issues, lots of issues and even small stuff like a problem with the tail lights burning through the plastic covers!

One Korean tractor has cracking FELS and a company that is still dragging it's feet more than a year later.

Some American models are not only WAY over priced (at least in my area) but one particular model that is known for their fine grass cutting capabilities even has a MMM that is digging huge trenches in yards as the owners turn a corner while mowing! At least they seem to be fixing this problem but not as fast as some of the people I have read about are saying.

For me it came down to Case, New Holland or Kabota, all more pricey than any Chinese equivalent but I figured the extra I spent now would more than be made up for by any Chinese model as the years went by and service started to become an issue. I didn't want a disposable Tractor.

In the end it was the dealer I liked best that got my money. The dealer I felt would address any problems I may have and so far they get an A-.

I went with Kabota and you can recognize me on my Orange beauty buy the HUGE smile on my face as I roll by! :D :D

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #3  
Fug1000 said:
For me it came down to Case, New Holland or Kabota...
I went with Kabota...
Kubota.

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #4  
Kubota L2800 or L3800. The Tractor Place in Knightdale, or Carver's in Dunn are just 2 of the dealers that have good reputations.

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #5  
Your situation sounds a lot like mine!

I'm operating a Deere 790 on 2½ acres plus another three I'm field mowing for a neighbor. I've an acre of finished lawn (plus or minus), some field and some woods. There's also a 150 foot drive and parking pad to maintain and plow.
Originally, I had a Deere 670 which was a perfect fit (for my property, finished lawn and field, but not the neighbor's acreage), but I needed more PTO HP for a chipper I was going to buy.
The chipper never worked out, so I kind of wished I'd kept the 670 (it would have been paid for a year or so ago), although I really enjoy using the 790.

So, that said...

The first tractor I would look at and would probably fit your needs best would be a Kubota B7510 or B7610. Other then the machines' weights, these two are equivalent to the Deere 670 (the 670 weighed more).
Power wise, these two are in the high teens or low twenties for engine HP. You can use 60" mowers and cutters behind either of these Kubota's. Some folks here will argue a 60" cutter is too big, but I did use one behind that 670 (16.5 PTO HP) with no problems. I just went slow or made a partial pass (not using the full width of the cutter) if necessary.

There are New Holland and Deere equivalents to the B7510/B7610 you can look at too. That's the size tractor that would fit you best, IMHO.

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #6  
I'd say check into the Kioti CK series of tractors. Quality on par with the majors,higher fel lift capacities,but a bit heavier weight.

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #7  
zusmc said:
Been looking for a while . . i might just get a new tractor. I've got about 2 acres of yard to mow and another 2 acres of field beside my house, I want 4x4 and to get a woods mower and possibly a FEL. Any suggestions would be great on the best bang for the buck.
Define the 'best deal' for a little bit more. Are you just looking for a small cheap tractor? There is a W-I-D-E range of of machines between 20 and 30 horsepower. There are also many sizes between 20 and 30 horsepower from the small Sub-CUT size machines (Massey GC, Kubota BX, New Holland TZ, Case DX'e' and JD 22xx) to small frame CUTs with low hp, to small frame with high horsepower (relative to frame size) and some mid-frame machines with low to moderate HP.

If you just want a cheap tractor go with a new Chinese tractor. In that size range, Jinma makes most of them but they are sold under several brand names.

If you think a good deal includes 'dealer support' then confine your search to dealers that are near where you live. Perhaps in a 30 mile radius of your house. Then interview the dealers just as you would interview someone who you would consider hiring to do a job for you. Check out their parts department and make sure they have at least one dedicated parts guy and a well stocked department. Walk around their shop area, it should be busy but clean; it should be capable of doing in-house hydraulic repairs, basic welding, and full mechanical repair work. Make sure they have a good reputation in the community, there are many stories here of people who bought from shabby dealers who closed up shop and left their customers stranded.

If you don't mind hooking a trailer up to your truck and trailing your tractor long distances for repairs, then widen your search but realize that 'best deal' may involve a lot of your weekend time over the next 10 years that you own your tractor driving it to a long distance dealer.

So what is your definition of 'best deal' and what are your repair skills, your trailering capabilities, and your actual needs?

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #8  
I have a friend who is looking for the same size tractor, he's a big guy, and so far he feels that the Kioti CK 20 fits him well. He's looked at about every make and model, mostly used, it will be interesting to see what he ends up with.

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #9  
zusmc:

Welcome to TBN :D! A little more information about your property, current needs (in addition to lawn and field mowing) as well as anticipated needs would be helpful. Beware of the HP junkies :eek:! Having said that I would suggest you get the most HP for the tractor frame you ultimately choose as well as a FEL. For 4 acres I agree with RoyJackson (high teens/low 20's HP). I managed 12+ Acres with a Ford 1100 (13/11PTO HP) for over 20 years. It starts to get interesting once you start to look at your current and anticipated needs in relation to your property- will ground clearance, engine component vulnerability, "footprint", weight, manuverability, tires, etc. become issues :confused:? Keep asking questions and hopefully we can assist you in finding the tractor that you feel/think will best meet your needs. By the way it will become readily apparent that the membership of TBN loves to spend everyone elses' money :cool:. Jay

/ Best deal for 20-30hp 4x4 tractor #10  
zusmc said:
Best deal... ...or close for the right deal!!!!!

I think the term best deal is relative. I am new here too and looking for my best deal.

There are alot of factors i am discovering that need to be looked at and vary from person to person. For some its price driven, for others its dealer support. One might put the best deal on the best tractor, others may put it on servicability. In ohter words the best deal could be anything from an old beat up tractor for $1200 to a brand new top of the line name brand for $20,000.

The things i am looking at are, price, location, long term parts availability, track record of specific models and overall condition. For me the best deal is forming in both used and new tractors with different names for different reasons.

Others may look for dealer reputation, service departments, and convienence.

I guess it depends on the individual as to what is important that ultamately decides the "best deal"

Best of luck finding your tractor.
Lions