Need help buying tractor for dad

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #1  

nrrd

This is my situation. My dad is 78 years old, loves farming, and has always had to make do with tractors that may or may not make it thru the day without breaking down. I want to surprise him when hay season gets here in a few weeks with a new, or nearly new tractor. Now, I'm not too bright when it comes to tractor specs. I want a tractor that will handle a 5x6 hay roller, a 17' tedder, a 9' disk mower, and a 15' batwing rotary cutter. All on rolling land. Will probably go 4wd with a loader. I will be choosing between Case, McCormick, Kubota, and New Holland due to local dealers. What do I need in terms of a dependable transmission, horse power, etc. What brand and model best suits my needs? Tractor will be used about 400 hours per year haying, hogging, & feeding hay. Probably going with a cab tractor for dad's comfort. Please advise me as to what I need and should expect to spend. Thanks.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #2  
nrrd said:
This is my situation. My dad is 78 years old, loves farming, and has always had to make do with tractors that may or may not make it thru the day without breaking down. I want to surprise him when hay season gets here in a few weeks with a new, or nearly new tractor. Now, I'm not too bright when it comes to tractor specs. I want a tractor that will handle a 5x6 hay roller, a 17' tedder, a 9' disk mower, and a 15' batwing rotary cutter. All on rolling land. Will probably go 4wd with a loader. I will be choosing between Case, McCormick, Kubota, and New Holland due to local dealers. What do I need in terms of a dependable transmission, horse power, etc. What brand and model best suits my needs? Tractor will be used about 400 hours per year haying, hogging, & feeding hay. Probably going with a cab tractor for dad's comfort. Please advise me as to what I need and should expect to spend. Thanks.

6000 series John Deere.... My son recently bought a 6430 (around 90 hp I believe) I got to spend a few hours in the cab last week (plowing with 4X14" semi-mounted plow) . Talk about a sweet tractor! Very comfortable, smooth, and loads of power for the chores you suggested. I know it ISN'T on your list, but I'd at least consider looking at one.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #3  
As mentioned, probably approaching 100 HP.

You'll just have to look at the different tractors and choose one that will fit the needs for the equipment. Bigger will be better than too small. The dealers will help on this. Don't know the price but it will be substantial.

And Oh -- If you need another Father I'm available and would require a much less expensive tractor.:D

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #4  
Egon said:
And Oh -- If you need another Father I'm available and would require a much less expensive tractor.:D

Mornin Guys,
Would like to add my name to that list also ! ;) :)

BTW, nrrd welcome to TBN !

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #5  
You are getting into some higher end tractors in order to get those listed tasks done. I know the 6xxx series Deere would be an excellent choice but be prepared to spend in the $50,000 range. You can go to a farm sale or consignment auction and get something less than 10 years old for less than half that amount. A dealer is also going to add a few thousand (usually) that what you would pay from a private individual. It also depends on what part of the county you come from. Here is Illinois there are thousands of good used tractors available at any given time, that inlcudes sales and dealer inventory.

Good luck, I know about trying to farm with junk, I have been working around broken machinery for all my life, however, I try to keep my tractors in good repair. I did buy a new John Deere last fall, that was the first brand new tractor this farm has had since 1976.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #6  
The Kubota you need to look at would be the M105.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #7  
A NH TN95DA would be low to the ground making easier entry & exit pricing with MFWD, cab, loader & 3rd function joystick was mid forties last Fall when I spotted one at my local dealer.

McCormick has the euro tool carrier quik tach - faster & more robust to change attachments.

Which dealer had your dad usually gone to for parts?

Don't trade in his old tractor right away - he may not trust that new one for awhile.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad
Currently, he has a 1466 International which he bought 6 years ago for $8500. My thinking is that he can leave this tractor hooked to his disk mower for the most part and use the new one for baling, bush hogging, and feeding.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #9  
When my dad was in his mid 70's... biggest chore was trying to keep him off tractors... he couldn't drive the car anymore but wanted to keep operating the tractor.

mark

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #10  
Here is another website for heavier ag that may be helpful:

Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk

Your dads current tractor is 120+ hp 2wd, so a newer 90-100hp mfwd, radial tires, etc. with 40% of torque rise may match up well.

An equivalent to a 1466 JD hp wise I think is a 7930 or so and costs in the neighborhood of $125K.

Post back with what you end up getting.