Why tractor insurance???

/ Why tractor insurance??? #41  
3RRL said:
That is a good question and I don't know the answer. My guess would be, if it's not business related tractor work, you'd be covered under your homeowners policy. Just like when you play golf and break a window, your homeowners covers that. But then I said I don't know for sure. Like what would happen if someone broke his leg on your toothbar?

I asked the new insurance agent about that subject. unless I use the tractor as a commercial buisness the policy covers it. I asked if I used it on my rental property but just to mow grass or do work leveling etc. I was told as long as i am just useing it for my self that is not considered buisness useage and it would be covered. I am going to see about adding it to my umbrella policy but have not done that yet.

/ Why tractor insurance??? #42  
sandman2234 said:
The Ford 7710 is sitting on a business' property and they won't let me come onto their property to pick it up, or work on it such as jumpstart it, etc unless I am covered by a liability policy that actually names them in the policy. The limits covered by liability is set forth by them to the tune of TWO MILLION DOLLARS.
When I read that in the fine print, I figured they would covering it by adding all angles into the constract. I was wrong, as they want it strictly covered.
I figured on having a local wrecker company pick up the tractor and bring it to me, but I can't find a single wrecker service in town that have that
Looks like one million is pretty strandard.
David from jax

David I am not an attorney but you might need to consult one. I have one of the 1 million dollar umbrella policies it covers me for liability no matter who it is. Telling you that they have to be specifically named for you to come their property is BS if you ask me. If they have no legal reason to hold it such as you oweing them money for something ( such as storage fees) I would just take a trailer and a winch drive up and get it. If they are holding it in a locked enclosure I would just drive up with a friendly policeman and tell them I am there to get my property. If you could get to it I might have someone go with me and get a chain and pull it onto the road before they can stop you. This advice is only advice from a non- attorney. If they have any kind of trumped up charges that you owe them you could get in trouble for just going and taking it.

/ Why tractor insurance??? #43  
The requirement was in black and white in the sign up sheet for the auction. I missed it, or rather misread it. I had a truck lined up, an old guy that used to haul for us when I worked at the machine shop. I knew he carried 2m liability, plus 2m cargo insurance, so I thought I had it covered. He came into town the day of the auction, just in case I won and the auction company wouldn't let me pick it up, cause they had some paperwork that needed to be done. Monday my trucker waited untill 2pm, then left for Salt Lake City. I might have made him mad by dragging him into town and him missing a load due to me.
David from jax

/ Why tractor insurance??? #44  
sandman2234 said:
The requirement was in black and white in the sign up sheet for the auction. I missed it, or rather misread it. I had a truck lined up, an old guy that used to haul for us when I worked at the machine shop. I knew he carried 2m liability, plus 2m cargo insurance, so I thought I had it covered. He came into town the day of the auction, just in case I won and the auction company wouldn't let me pick it up, cause they had some paperwork that needed to be done. Monday my trucker waited untill 2pm, then left for Salt Lake City. I might have made him mad by dragging him into town and him missing a load due to me.
David from jax

This is an interesting problem. It was an auction where they demanded to have an outrageous insurance policy with them included specifically by name. What is on the property that you could damage that would cost 2,000,000 to fix. Just because that is on the auction sheet might not necessarily stop you from getting your property. Have you already paid for it ?

/ Why tractor insurance??? #45  
Just for the record, the company that owned my tractor agreed to waiver the insurance as long as they loaded it, and I didn't touch anything until they had it loaded, and ready to pull of the property.
It could have been worse, it could have been better, but at least it is home and all I have to worry about now is the bill of sale which hasn't been signed and mailed to me yet.
David from jax