TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #1  

centex

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I am trying to decide between a TLB and a compact tractor with loader and backhoe (Kubota L35 vs L3710). Except that the loader is not removable, no mid mount mower capability, and much heavier chasis on the L35 they seem about the same. Is there something I am missing? I will be doing a lot of backhoe and loader work to build roads, dig for septic system and pond, level and landscape in a central Texas area with plenty of good sized rocks and trees. I also need to use a jack hammer attachment for the backhoe to remove a stretch of old abandoned highway that runs thorugh my property so the L35 seems like the ideal tractor for this work. On the other hand I need to do a lot of clearing of small to large trees as well as mowing, tilling and post hole digging. I think the L35 should work for this with the FEL bucket and backhoe removed. I don't need a mid-mount mower so that is not an issue and it seems to me that the resale for a TLB would be better than a compact tractor since it is a heavier duty machine. Any advice would be welcomed.

My local dealer tried to sell me a B21 but I don't think the PTO output is enough to be really useful and the backhoe could not handle some of the large rocks or the old pavement. He told me that the B21 and L35 backhoes were far superior to the attachments for the compact tractors because they used the tractors hydralics vs a pto driven pump for the others. Some the posts on the this board recommend aftermarket backhoes with subframe attachments but wouldn't welding on someone else's subframes affect the warranty on a new tractor?

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #2  
If 80%-90% of your use is loader and Backhoe, I'd go with the L35. That's exactly what it optimized for. The 20% of the time you need to use the 3PH, it's there. I've had a removable loader for the past 5 years and I've never taken it off.

The transmission may be a factor too. I think I heard that the L35 is GST only - no HST. For me that would be a major drawback - in fact enough to disqualify it.

Peter

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #3  
Centex - The Bradco subframe-mounted backhoes don't require any welding (with the Kubota L-series, at any rate). You just bolt the rear of the subframe to the axle housing and the front of it to the loader subframe. They're an excellent choice if you plan on using the three-point hitch a lot.

I had a Bradco 609 on an L3600GST and an L4310HST - both worked fine using the tractor's hydraulics. There's a long discussion of different ways to do the plumbing in my "L4310 enhancements" thread in "Customization". I've done it three different ways and the way I did it the last time was far superior to the other two - quite a bit more flow and a lot easier to work with when installing it and removing it.

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #4  
Centex,

First welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some big projects planned in the future. I have a B21 and think you made the right decision by looking for something bigger with your plans. I even wonder if the L35 is big enough as you look at digging ponds and removing abandon paved roads. Those may be projects left to larger equipment although given enough time you could probably get the job done. Have you considered the new L48 TLB? Besides the extra engine power, stronger hydraulics, greater loader and backhoe power, the HST transmission is what would draw me that way. HST makes maneuvering the tractor for loader and backhoe work so much easier it is the only way I could go.

If you haven’t yet, look at the Home Page here on the forum to see the new JD 110 TLB. Although all of the specs and pricing are not out yet, it sounds to be somewhere between the L35 and L48 Kubota TLB’s and their first with a 3pt and PTO on a TLB. There is also some good information on the L48 on the home page.

Good luck in you hunt and keep us up to date.

MarkV

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #5  
And if he's going to look at L48's, he'd might as well go the rest of the way and look at the EarthForce machines, eh MarkV? Sorry, I couldn't resist... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #6  
Don, was the tractor dealer you talked to around Lampassas or near Austin? I'd suggest talking to a dealer closest to where I was going to need the tractor. I'd also look for equipment rental places, because digging ponds and breaking up old asphalt is something I'd want to use a dozer or track loader for. I'd also consider renting a full-size backhoe for your septic tank digging, or consider that most approved septic systems in Texas have to be done by a certified contractor and they all have their own equipment.

My bottom line suggestion is to buy a tractor based on your day-to-day use and what your pocket book can afford. You might even consider moving up to the 40 hp range because the extra weight and power will come in handy for clearing trees and brush. I consider my TC45 just right for my use on 33 acres with 65% postoak and blackjack woods. If you have to stay with the L3710, I'd say buy it and look at renting the heavier equipment when you need it. ...my $0.02 worth. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments
The dealer was Lansford Equipment in Austin. There are about the closest Kubota dealer to Lampassas and definitely the largest. There are closer JD and NH dealers. After reading the posts to this question and the other threads on this site I just more confused than ever. I am convinced that JD price is higher and quality lower than either Kubota and NH. The NH specs for their Boomer tractors "seem" to be better than Kubota but there seems to be a lot of warranty problems with them based on what I see elsewhere in this site. there is a long thead on problems with the Kubota L48 TLB. I am long on time and short on money so I have to get it right the first time. It is obvious that I need to keep reading this forum for some time to learm much more before I jump in and make a big mistake.

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #8  
<font color=blue>The NH specs for their Boomer tractors "seem" to be better than Kubota but there seems to be a lot of warranty problems with them based on what I see elsewhere in this site.</font color=blue>

What kinds of warranty problems are you seeing on the NH stuff? Most of what I've heard of or experienced are minor things which are easily fixed (similar to what you hear of on all brands). I've also not heard of any pattern of troubles getting things fixed under warranty.

John_Mc

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #9  
When I bought my TC40D there was not much feedback regarding issues/problems. The only issue I have had is the cool running. Sounds like the dealers are more then willing to make the fix and a recent post indicated that NH has issued a new part to take care of the issue. I did not talk to my dealer but just used the directions that I found here on TBN ordered the $15 in parts and spent the 20 minutes it took to make the change.

If you were to read MarkC's thread about enhancements to his Kubota you might get the impression that Kubota's are slightly under engineered, but no he just expects more then the typical owner.

Most of the TBN members seem to be perfectionistic to various degrees, and expect that our tractors will be perfect. And of course they should be /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments
The "New Holland Owning/Operating" forum seems to have a lot of threads on problems like leaks, fogging intrument panels, etc. I know these are mostly minor problems but for $20K-$30K should one not expect better? If the little things are missed or poorly designed then I would suspect some major things might also be lurking in the background just waiting for the warranty to run out. I did not find as many complaints under the "Kubota Owning/Operating" forum but then there is a lot more there to look through.

On another note, it looks to me like the TC35, TC40, & TC45 are the only tractors in this class that have enough implement hydraulic flow to meet the requirements for the Bradco backhoes (Bradco recommended the 509 for the TC35 and it requires 9-12 cfm.) The closest Kubota in size to the TC35 appears to be the L3710 and it has less than 9cfm available for implements. Did I interpret the specs correctly? The NH salesman told me the specs were not apples to apples between the brands.