Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ?

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #1  

Slackdaddy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
Currently I have a Case 580 superE, but I am needing to down size and need the 3 point.
Does anyone make a small (25-35hp) 4x4 tractor that has a clutchless shuttle?
The specs for all the tractors I have looked at (on the net) are very vauge.
most list a "Syncroshuttle", or a "Powershuttle" but also list a clutch.
Do any of the compact tractors have a torque converter instead of a clutch ?
The case 580's drive train is:
Engine -> Torque convertor -> Shuttle planetary -> gearbox -> Axles
That has spoiled Me:)

I do not want (will never have) Hydrostatic.

Any Ideas ?

Many thanks,
Nick

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #2  
The Kubota GST (glide shift) is a gear transmission with a hydraulic shuttle and a powershift. It is available on many of their L series models, and also on the L39 loader/backhoe model.

The John Deere power-reverser is also a hydroshuttle and is available on the 4x20 series (smallest model: 35 pto hp) and I believe also the 3x20 series.

Not aware of anyone putting a torque converter in that or any other size ag/homeowner tractor at this time. It's a shame, too, because it does seem like a good setup.

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #3  
Don't know about that small but I have a New Holland TC55DA with the EHSS....(55hp with the Electronic Hydrostat Shuttle Shift)...It is like you described......no clutch but an inching pedal.....It's nice!

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ?
Cj,
What is the "inching pedal" ?
What happens when You come to a stop, such as when You dig the FEL into a dirt pile ? will it stall the motor? if there is no clutch there has to be a hydro coupler some where ? such as a torque convertor.
Talking to dealers and reading manufactors web sites is useless, they dont have a clue as to how the equipment operates.
As one who is new to the compact tractor market, I am kinda "shocked" that this set up is not available, it is the norm in construction tractors.

Nick

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #5  
The hydro-shuttle HAS a clutch, and unless the transmission also is a powershift, you use the clutch when shifting from one gear to another. But you don't have to use it when shifting between forward, reverse, and neutral - there's just a left hand lever that does all that for you. (This is how Kubota hydroshuttles work - I'm pretty sure Deere and NH's "EHSS" work the same way, but I haven't driven those brands with hydroshuttles.) If you drive into a pile and stop the tractor, the engine will lug down and die quickly - the clutch is a solid connection, it won't slip like a torque converter.

I know what you're talking about is common on construction equipment, and like I said I don't know of a good reason it isn't available on farm tractors. I think the dominance of HST for homeowner/CUT tractors and the prevalence of hydroshuttle+powershift on the big ag tractor is the likely reason. For tilling you don't want any slippage, and the manufacturers seem to have decided to sell HST rather than torque converter for casual users.

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #6  
As far as I know there is no compact tractor with a torque converter. Ag type tractors which CUT are from that types of decent don’t work very well with a torque converter because of the increase in fuel usege. The closest things to what you are wanting is a PowerShuttle (Massey Ferguson) or Power Reverser (John Deere) which has hydraulic clutches that activate when the reverse lever is moved. The foot pedal doesn’t' have to be used to change directions. It does have to be used for gear changes.
The other type is a DynaQPS (Massey Ferguson) or a GST (Kubota) which have what is in essence a power shuttle with power shift. You don't have to use the clutch pedal to change directions or to change gears. This type also uses solenoid activated hydraulic clutches like the power shuttles do.
There may be other that have these transmissions in the size of tractor you ask about. If there is, I am sure someone will say something.

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #7  
The Deere 3320 has a Power-Reverser transmission. I think this is the smallest 3xxx series Deere that has that transmission available. It's 32.5 Gross Engine HP and 25.5 PTO HP.
As Z-Michigan wrote, one uses the clutch between gears (and ranges, if I recall) but can shift from foward to neutral to reverse with no clutch. The transmission has 12 forward and 12 reverse gears.

I tried one of the 3320's (with Power-Reverser) out a year ago. It sure is easier to use then the collar shift of my 790 for loader work. The only reason I didn't buy it is I just didn't want to go into debt for another 4 or 5 years. Really nice machine though.

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #8  
Shoot, i'm not sure how to put a link in here to other threads but here is a copy of one. The EHSS does NOT have a clutch.....it's an inching pedal....even my dealer didn't know that until i had trouble and had to educate them about something i didn't even know about. To my little knowledge, It uses "clutch packs" to direct the fluid somehow forward and back. The inching pedal operates exactly like a clutch to the user if needed but it's not a clutch. When you push on it, it merely works a valve to stop the hydraulic fluid inside of the tranny or something like that!!! haha Go do a search in the New Holland operating for EHSS and you will find some talk on it.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-about-ehss-transmissions.html?highlight=EHSS

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #9  
Yanmar also has a "shuttle shift" in that you can shift the 3 forward gears and Reverse in the range underpower and without clutching and, depending on the model, you have several ranges that you shift with the clutch. It is a gear transmission that has hydraulic packs that assist in the shifts.

They make these as small as 11 PTO HP. YM1110. I have a 1510D which is 15 pto hp, shuttle shift, and 4wd. There are also 1610, 2210 ect. I know that they are not marketed new in the States right now, but they are going to be making Cub Cadet tractors. That is if you wanted new.

I had not seen that anybody mentioned Yanmar yet so wanted to include it in the mix here. They also build several of the JD models including the 650, 750, and 850 (I believe).

Mike

/ Clutchless shuttle on 25-35HP tractor ? #10  
If you want to do serious loader work your gonna severly miss the 580. That machine was designed to that. Ag tractors with FEL are,in my opinion, made for light use. For PTO work, most of the time, you'll not miss the Shuttle shift anyways. I guess it boils down to how deep your pockets are. bjr