How much HP do I need

/ How much HP do I need #1  

Gerry G

Cheektowaga, NY, with 23 acres in Limestone, NY
Tractor
none yet
I've got 23 acres. About 18 wooded. I'm looking to timber it to help defray to cost of a tractor. I can drop the trees, but need a tractor to get them out. I was thinking 4WD diesel, but don't know how much HP. I don't want to spend more money than necessary.
Thanks in advance. I just found this site and love all the great advise.

/ How much HP do I need #2  
We all need a little more info. What is the terrain that you have (filll out your profile, that will help). What are your other plans for the tractor? What size are the tree that you will be timbering? do you need to just drag them out or do you need to load them also?

/ How much HP do I need #3  
Gerry G said:
How much HP do I need
clear.gif
As much as you can afford! :D

/ How much HP do I need #4  
GerryG:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with archerynut about the requested information and also with dmace. Be prepared for alot of information as well as opinions :eek:. When you go to the next step, get really serious, and start to compare "specifications" of the different brands of tractors be prepared for inconsistent and often confusing data as the "specs" :confused: are often driven by Sales & Marketing Departments as the different manufacturers will look as somewhat different criteria in order to put their respective tractors in the "best light". The larger tractor manufacturers provide tractor selector software programs on their websites that will recommend tractors based on your data input. These programs are "loaded" for FEL use and possibly property size. We all advise that you "try out" the tractors you are interested in as well as the dealerships. Size for size and price for price the "Big 3 or 4" tractors are relatively similar (each have their own positives and negatives). There is no "perfect" tractor out there. Dealer "feel" is as important as tractor "feel" for in the long run a good dealership will probably provide better support, information, and save you money. The biggest thing to remember is that the membership of TBN is more than willing to spend your money :cool: and there are some serious HP junkies :eek: in TBN land (To get a good idea as to what a Class II tractor can do look at Derek's CK20 in his avatar :)). Best of luck- Jay :)

/ How much HP do I need #5  
Kinda depends on how big the logs are, Gerry, and what lengths you saw them to. If they are the diameter of what's in Derek's bucket (in his Avatar) and 20 to 25 ft. long, I'd want 4WD and at least 35HP; 40+HP would be better. I'm not saying you couldn't get it done with less, but you'd need some weight, especially if you had to pull up any grades. Weight and a good slow 1st gear might let you get by with minimum HP.

A big old Ag tractor with lotsa weight and cheap HP might do the job for the least money...even if it's only 2WD.
FWIW
Bob

/ How much HP do I need
Sorry guys. As I said I'm a newbie. The trees aren't too big, 20 in. max-lengths will be cut to 10 ft.-land is very navigable, and where they'd be removed would be almost level. Only other needs, would be tilling to put in food plots on the non wooded acreage. I'm sure as I get more into it, I may get a backhoe. Other then that, that's pretty much it.
Thanks again for the quick, informative input.

/ How much HP do I need #7  
Dmace said:
As much as you can afford! :D

ain't that the truth!

i've used my tractor for some jobs similar to that of the OP and my john deere 990 does a helluva job. that's 40.4hp.

edit- and for ground engagingment - like tilling - it's hard to beat a manual gear tractor!

/ How much HP do I need #8  
OK, so we're talking about dragging logs over 18 acres, and tilling not more than 5 acres or so. What are you going to do with the logs once you get them out of the woods - cutting them for firewood, loading them onto someone's truck, or simply putting them in one area so someone else can load them onto a truck with their own equipment?

I don't think you'll need a lot of hp for dragging logs and tilling a few acres. 30-35 would probably be fine. I would definitely recommend 4wd for dragging stuff through the woods and general ease of use. However, if you want a front end loader that can easily/safely lift those logs, you'll probably be looking at slightly bigger tractors - maybe the 40hp class or so. I would think a Kubota L4400, Deere 990, or similar from other manufacturers would be a good starting point if you're using FEL to lift the logs. If not, you could probably go a bit smaller, like an L3400, Deere 790, NH TC30, etc. If you do want to use the FEL for logs, you definitely want something with quick attach so you can use either pallet forks or a grapple bucket for lifting and moving them. The factory loader on the Kubota L4400 and L3400 does not have a quick attach option, but I believe you can get a Woods brand FEL for those that does. Not sure if the Deere 790/990 FELs have quick attach or not.

/ How much HP do I need #9  
Gerry G:

Z-Michigan raises some good points as to how much tilling and wood "manipulation" do you intend to do? There is a big difference between Class II & III tractors. Jay

/ How much HP do I need
I'd be just dragging. A friend from NYSDEC said the money is in cutting and having companies bid on your wood pile, as opposed to having someone else do the work. Probably pulling stumps for a pond is another need.
Thanks again.