First Time Buyer Looking for Help

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #1  

sanzania

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have gotten a TON of info and would like your opinion on what I really need. I have been looking at several sub compacts, a NH TZ22DA, Kubota BX 1850 & 2350 and I''m looking at a MF GC2300 this weekend.

First off, I'm only dealing w/ 1.5 acres. The area has more weeds than grass and is quite bumpy, I would eventually like to level and re-seed the entire area. I also have a 30x60 garden area to till.

I'm looking for a small tractor to be a weekly mower. A FEL would be a great help to move the larger pieces of stone as I currently have 8 pallets of flagstone to put down for my patio and walkway. I also have about a 300' fenceline I'd like to plant trees along as a wind barrier.

Currently I have a 24hp Craftsman mower w/ a 48" deck, a front tine tiller, and an earthquake posthole digger to do my current and future jobs with.

The question is, would I be better off getting a REAL tractor to help me handle everything or make due w/ what I have and rent equipment as needed? If I do get a tractor what do you think of the ones I have looked at so far? I'm looking at a max budget of $13,000-$14,000. What combo of tractor and implements would be the best? Right now Im looking at tractor w/ mmm, loader and tiller. I could get the post hole digger attachment and box blade/rake next year (income tax) when I'm ready to do the grass and plant the trees.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. Wifey is going along w/ this.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #2  
It sounds like you WANT a "real" tractor. That alone is justification for buying one. The other question, do you NEED at real tractor? Well, not many people on this forum need a tractor. That being said, owning a tractor can be very cost effective, especially if you buy used and sell when the majority of the work is done. Will you beat your body up less with a FEL available all the time. Certainly, and that alone justifies the NEED.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #4  
sanzania:

Welcome to TBN :D! I think you are headed in the right direction as to tractor choice; especially considering that you are dealing with 1.5A's. I think you might have problems matching a Category I (3PH) PHD and a SCUT so make sure with the dealer that they are compatible. I would keep your rider mower for your "real" lawn. I would look at R1's or R4's for the tractor to work your other areas. You may have to look at ground clearance as a criteria for your anticipated tractor if the ground is that bumpy. MMM's seriously limit your ground clearance. You might be better off purchasing a rear mounted PTO driven rotary cutter and/or finish mower that is wider than your tire width and will give you greater range of cutting height. They are also easier to attach and detach. Tillers get real expensive real quick when you start getting larger framed tractors. Please give the readership more information as to your location and property and we will all be more than willing to help you spend your money. Jay

P.S. Keep "Wifey" happy no matter what the cost ;).

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #5  
I think that you are in the right category when it comes to the NH, MF and the Kubota. For the budget that you are considering I would look for a good low hours used model. I think that any of those mentioned before would be up to handle the tasks that you and the 1.5 acres are going to throw at it. The used machine would provide you the extra money to buy the implements that you want. I don't know if you could pull of the tractor, loader, MMM, and tiller for that price (yeah it would be close). The tiller would really put it close. I personally ended up with the MF GC2310 for many reasons that worked for me, won't work for everyone else. Another aspect that you may want to look at is the attractive financing that the new models have. Then buying new with all the implements could be affordable.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #6  
I realized that I didn't answer some of the other questions.

You could rent, but it is awful nice to come home and have it sitting there just begging to work. You don't have to schedule a weekend to do it, and then get hampered by bad weather.

You body will thank you for getting a tractor.

Does the garden have to go in now? You could buy all the other implements this year get a lot of work accomplished, and then get the tiller next year and offset the cost by selling off some other implements that you don;t really need all that often anymore. Once the yard is leveled and planted, trees done, fence done, you could unload the boxblade, rake, and posthole digger if you don't need them any longer. You are going to want to keep the tiller for year to year use.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #7  
I own a BX1500 and have used it for similar tasks. A SCUT would be a good choice and up to the tasks you are asking of it. I would however buy the MMM with the unit and sell the Craftsman. I was looking at a Craftsman garden tractor right before I got my BX. I am glas I made the choice I did. I have 2 acres, and the BX will mow circles around my old Lowes John Deere (that I sold).

As for renting equipment. I could have gone that route, however owning a machine gives me the ability to do things in my own time, not to mention it gives me an enjoyable hobby.:D

I would agree with some of the others. Buying a slighty used machine (under 200hrs) would save you money for other toys...tools.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help
Thanks for your responses so far.

I'm located in mid state DE. My brother has a farm over in Jersey and too suggested buying used. I looked at some used and saw I could get a NH TC w/ less than 50 hours for the same price as a TZ. I am looking at the finance deals too. NH's doing 2.9% up to 8 years on the TZ22DA. I'd rather have a low payment and double or triple up each month than have a high payment each month in case somthing comes up. As far as keeping the craftsman, the funny thing is the craftsman has trouble cutting thick grass, and forget about it if it is wet at all. The grass in my front yard is good, the back is whats a mess.

/ First Time Buyer Looking for Help #9  
I think you are trudging down the right path and anyone of the models you mentioned will accomplish the tasks you are looking to do. Unless you just have the money in the bank and you are wanting to spend it, I would seriously consider buying a new one. With rates and incentives as low as they are, you will actually be money ahead by leaving your current cash in an interest bearing account and getting in on the 0 percent financing. If your craftsman is in descent shape, I would use it as a trade in.....
As far as the models you have choosen, I looked hard at the NH TZ series, The Bota BX's, Case DX, Deere and the Mahindra. I actually spent a little test drive time on the BX's and the Deere. In the end the Massey GC won me over. I also really liked the 25HP NH TZ ...but... there was no easy way to put a backhoe on it.