Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #1  

kbinhc

I live on a property that is assessed for forestry and am looking for a versitile tractor that will be used to perform several tasks. I plan on attaching a snow plow to it. I also plan on using it to clear brush so I might consider attaching a brush hog. I will also be used in a wooded area for some forestry work including pulling logs up hill.

I've looked at Skid Steer loaders, incl Bobcat and have also looked at conventional tractors including Kubota 34hp 4WD. Skid Steers seem to have more accessories but how do they compare with a conventional tractor as far as being able to pull heavy objects up hill in dirt and grass. For both tractors I'm looking at diesel.

The attachments for skid steers also seem to be very expensive. Are there any aftermarket attachments for skid steers and conventional tractors that are repudable.

Can anyone provide any insight into which of these tractors might be more appropriate for its potential uses? How do they compare with similar horse power and how do they compare as far as torque.

I know it's a lot but I'm new to this.

Thanks.

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #2  
Your tasks seem to be just begging for a Power-Trac. Check out the forums here and the company website.

Can you provide photos of your land or describe how steep the slopes are? Conventional tractors aren't safe on steep slopes. Skid steers aren't great either. Skid steers also have very limited ground clearance and can get hung up on obstacles. And, as you've already discovered, SSL attachments tend to be pricey. Skid steers also are not designed for any serious pulling, though they may have a simple clevis hitch on the back.

There are too many aftermarket makers of quality attachments for both tractors and skid steers to list. Two of the biggest and highest quality are Woods and Landpride, but there are hundreds if not thousands of others. I think most people buy a decent amount of aftermarket attachments, not just from the same company as whoever made their tractor or SSL.

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #3  
I would choose a tractor over the skid steer. Skid steers are good for certain tasks, however I could not miagine hauling logs or bushhogging with one.

As for tractors, you have many choices out there as well as choices of implements. What are the other tasks you are looking to perform? How many acres are you going to log? How long is your driveway that you will be plowing. Do you want a front end loader? What is your terrain like (slope degrees)? The more information you provide, the better answers people here at TBN will be able to give you.

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #4  
On a tractor, I suggest a quick-attach loader for optimum use and interchangeability of attachments.

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #5  
kbinhc: Welcome to TBN :D! Please provide us with more information about your location, property, and intended uses (near and long term) and we will all be willing to help you spend your money :cool:. Jay

/ Please Help! Need help choosing a tractor #6  
The best explanation I have heard regarding a skid steer is they are called the
" Swiss army knife" of tractors.

Price wise skid steer will be more, but not much for what you get.

I'm in the same boat, I have a tractor, but I don't mow, or till with it, so a skid steer will do all I need plus, over a tractor.

You get more lift, and more height with a skid steer over a utility tractor, you can change attachments and never leave your seat, better maneuverability.

But even I have a hard time going from the traditional tractor to a skid steer, because it's thinking outside the box.