another newbie has questions/needs help

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #21  
Gatorback:

I want to affirm you for your "quest" :D. This is not an easy point in the "journey" to tractor acquisition. I think those model selector recommended tractors are slightly smaller than what you currently need for moving trees, but will meet your ultimate long term needs. I would "shoot the gap" and get a model tractor between what you think you need (~33HP) and what those model selectors recommended (~25HP+). There are a lot of really good, high quality tractors in the market that can meet your needs. 5HP does not make a lot of difference in performance if you approach your tasks appropriately. It may take a little longer, but the job will get done. I think you should really look at tractor weight, footprint, ground clearance, and hydraulics for the money. What you gain in a slightly smaller tractor is reduced price which may allow you to purchase additional attachments with the money "saved". Good luck :)- Jay

/ another newbie has questions/needs help
Thanks Jay, That's what I'm kind of trying to do, split the gap. For that reason I have considered the B3030 HST(30 hp, 1850 lbs), L2800 and L3400 HST (about 2600 lbs), And the Deere 3120 HST (29.5 hp, 2900 lbs.). None of these offer the power reverser or GST trannys, and by switching to the HST tranny it runs the price right back up to the larger units with the PR/GST, or at least close enough to be a non-factor.
I guess I'm looking for something they don't make (yet !), a 28-30 hp, 2500 lb. unit with PR or GST and a cup holder :rolleyes: .
My gut feeling is I really did my best dealing on the larger units, especially the K 3240, but realize their possibly slightly oversize for my long term. The flip side is, do I go smaller with the HST with little or no price savings? Example: Deere 3320 PR $19,500 , 3120 HST $19,500....:(

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #23  
"...60'+ pines about 24" diameter ..." Sell them and you'll get most of your heavy work done and maybe have some spare change!!

If I could go back in time to buy my tractor again, I would not get the HST but instead put that "extra" money into FEL with quick attach bucket, a root grapple (or a grapple on a bucket), enough hydraulics to have top & tilt on the rear and several implements (rake, BB, brush cutter, & a blade). The HST *is* NICE and that was my only way to get the "OK" from my wife (so she can drive.)

If I had any left over money, I would have gone with the L3400, before HST (but I drive gear tractors at work).