another newbie has questions/needs help

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #1  

Gatorback

I've been trolling in the background on this site for a couple of months and now I"m coming forward for some help.
I'm trying to decide between two tractors that I have quotes on which are only a few hundred dollars apart. One is a JD 3320, power reverser, 300x loader, Frontier RC1060 cutter, w/power beyond added. Price 19,500 or 20,000 with 300cx loader.
The other is a Kubota 3240, GST, 514 loader, Bush Hog SQ600 cutter. Price 19,883, or 20,000 with 724 loader if I financed thru them.
Question #1- Is the GST and Power reverser trannys basically the same thing or, if not, whats the difference and which may be the better?.
Question #2- (the obvious one) which sounds like the better deal ?

I will be using it on only 5 acres that will include loader work of moving mounds of clay dirt, cut sections of 60'+ pines about 24" diameter to a burn pit, and various loads of sand and rock. The cutter will be used in thick overgrown pasture as well as taking down various volunteer pine and oak saplings up to 1.5' thick.
The crazy part is, once I get things looking good (1-2 yrs.) I'm guessing a slightly smaller unit would suffice for just upkeep.
I'm new to tractors and any advice would be appreciated.:D

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #2  
I can't tell you about the differences between the power reverser and the GST?? But the difference in price if the tractors are the same I would not even look at. go with the one you like the best and keep in mind the dealer means a lot. Even if there was a grand difference I still would be looking at what you like and what dealer is the best. The couple hundred diffference is a drop in the bucket in this large of a purchase.

murph

/ another newbie has questions/needs help
Thanks. Both dealers are about 25 miles away and have multiple locations. The Deere dealer has a mobile service tech available while the Kubota dealer doesn't. The Deere seemed a little smaller which was a little less intimidating to a newbie, but that may have been an illusion since the Kubota I sat on had a loader attached.
I guess the JD felt SLIGHTLY better to sit on but it seems like the Kubota has more to offer in the deal.

Maybe I should look into goats !:eek:

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #4  
That 3320 with Power-Reverser is a really nice tractor.

You're probably buying more then you need. The comment about a smaller unit would suffice for upkeep is telling.

Unless you're in a big hurry, you could do the work with a less expensive tractor (a 790, for example) which would save you 4 or 5 Grand.

Your money, your choice...

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #5  
Goats would definitely be cheaper!

Having the loader on will make any tractor seem much bigger. These two are very similar in size.

Power-reverser and GST are a bit different. Power-reverser is a conventional gear transmission, with the added feature of a hydraulic shuttle that lets you go back and forth without using the clutch. You still use the clutch to shift gears. GST is a powershift type transmission, which means it has gears but all shifting is done by power, not manually. It also has the hydraulic shuttle feature. All in all GST is a bit fancier but they both get the exact same task done. GST will have 12 speeds; I can't remember if a 3320 has 8 or 12 speeds.

I'm amazed that the prices are so similar. I really don't know which is the better deal. I wouldn't worry about "better deal" here - I would pick which one you like better and/or which one has a better dealer.

I would also agree that these are bigger than you probably need, though I don't think they are unreasonably big. Like many of us, you get to choose between something that will be slow for your first 2-3 years of property work, or something that may be too big after that time. I think most of us choose the bigger, but I'm not saying that's automatically correct.

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #6  
I would also agree that these are bigger than you probably need, though I don't think they are unreasonably big. Like many of us, you get to choose between something that will be slow for your first 2-3 years of property work, or something that may be too big after that time. I think most of us choose the bigger, but I'm not saying that's automatically correct

Gatorback:

Welcome to TBN :D! I went the too small route the first time I bought a tractor, but made it work for 20 years. A lot of us buy a size tractor that really does not meet our total objectives the first time around. Just out of curiousity have you tried using those tractor selector software programs available on many of the larger tractor company websites that select tractors based on your input data (I do believe that they are heavily "weighted" for acreage size and FEL operation criteria however.)? My "guts" tell me that you are buying a little too big, but I do not have a real good sense (which is my brain :confused:) of the lay of your property, material logistics, your total use picture (although you are pretty clear with your stated objectives). There are no perfect tractors out there, so go with your guts, and do not second guess yourself. I think the saying "systematic approximations" applies to tractor purchasing. Good luck in your research and acquisition. Jay

/ another newbie has questions/needs help
Thanks all !. Let me add a little clarification to my reasoning for these 2 models. Being new to tractors and since the FEL will be used a fair amount, I really wanted to avoid a clutch for reversing. The hydrostat trannys seems a bit awkward (I'm sure I would get used to it) and were just more money. So these generally are the smallest of whats available with the clutchless reversers. I realize the world opens up if I slapped myself into accepting the hydro or gear trannys as a option and that may be what I need to do (L2800, b7800, 3120, 790, TC30, etc.
Secondly, I felt resale of the two mentioned models would be better. We just built and moved in in Nov. but got caught in the sagging housing market and haven't sold the old house yet. Who knows what the next few years will bring.
As far as size goes. I'm one of those that feels like I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Thanks again...

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #8  
RoyJackson said:
That 3320 with Power-Reverser is a really nice tractor.

You're probably buying more then you need. The comment about a smaller unit would suffice for upkeep is telling.

Unless you're in a big hurry, you could do the work with a less expensive tractor (a 790, for example) which would save you 4 or 5 Grand.

Your money, your choice...

I am going to agree with Roy here. Look at the John Deere 790 and New Holland TC30. I know you can get the New Holland in Hydro and believe the John Deere also. You would say a lot to get them extra attachments.

murph

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #9  
If you dont know the difference between the operation of the transmissions, that tells me you havent driven them. You really need to test drive them before making your decision. The right answer may just come down to which one feels better to you. When I bought my GST, I had no idea how I would like it until I drove one. I felt more comfortable "more at home" on the GST than I did the Hydro or other manual transmissions. The test drive had a huge impact on what I purchased. The same goes for deciding on a manufacturer. Test drive a blue one, then an orange one, then a green one, even a red one. Chances are one of them will stand out and will fit you better.

/ another newbie has questions/needs help #10  
"Secondly, I felt resale of the two mentioned models would be better."

I'd be leery about worrying too much about resale. Deere and Kubota probably hold their values better then most other brands but it seems to require 5 or so years of ownership to get the value of resale. Any newer, you're competing against new machines with (probably) better financing.

"We just built and moved in in Nov. but got caught in the sagging housing market and haven't sold the old house yet"

Boy, you have my sympathy here! It's tough paying two mortgages!
Frankly, I think the real estate market has been way too hot for about 5 years. I expect a lot of folks to lose big time as the market corrects itself. My estimate (as one who watches certain aspects of the real estate market) is a lot of foreclosures and prices to drop (in some markets) up to 30%.
One thing I think (IMHO only!!!!) buggered up the market was house "flipping" driving prices way beyond where they should be at.

Personally (again, my opinion only) is people (and businesses) should be able to deduct mortgage interest on primary dwellings only (and for the business, rent or mortgage for the place of business only). Any other properties...no deductions. There's way too much speculation in real estate...again, my opinion only.