Help for a friend

/ Help for a friend #1  

VistanTN

Silver Member
middle TN, closest to Beechgrove, then Bell Buckle
Tractor
A-C 5020-4, Mahindra 6500 4WD, Kubota L4740 HSTC 4WD
Friends of ours just bought 22 acres near us and while I have some opinions of what might be best for them, I wanted to mine TBNers for other input. Property is mostly cleared, with maybe 6 acres in woods/brush. 3-4 acres are mowed as "lawn" with the rest being pasture. Terrain is moderately sloped and quite rocy in many places.

Tom forsees the need for a FEL, 4-5' brush cutter, and something for a finish mower (perhaps a Z-tun dedicated mower or a tractor mid or rear mount). He's not planning on any farming as such (may outlease pasture for grass haying).

My thoughts thus far:
1) On our terrain and with a FEL suggest 4WD is very desirable if not a must.
2) Figure he is on the border between CUT and SCUT leaning toward the smaller CUT's
3) He's probably interested in used, especially if he goes the Z-turn mower choice.
4) I figure his minimum attachment list should include box blade for his .2 mile gravel drive, 4-5' brush cutter, and mid-mount mower (if not the Z-turn) or perhaps a rear mount finish mower.
5) Probably want R-1's as most of the time they do little/no damage to lawns, but when it is wet, they are essential on the hills.

I have a lot of Cat 1 attachments he can borrow for occasional use (PHD, landscape rake, rear blade, sprayer, etc.).

There are a lot of 2WD used machines for sale, but precious few 4WD around here.

Good dealer support is available for Deere, Kubota, Case/IH/NH, Mahindra, and Cub Cadet. Other brands are around, but dealers are farther away.

Thoughts, comments, and input are appreciated.

/ Help for a friend #2  
IMHO I think that low 30hp range would be a minimum. That allows for 5ft implements without taxing the tractor. 4WD is a must I think for general needs, I don't use 4WD often but when it's needed, it's needed. R-1's for sure, if the lawn is not an issue. I have R-4's, wish I had R-1's because the tractor will spin quicker with R-4's when pushing or pulling a load. He needs to be patient if looking for a used tractor, with time a good used tractor can be found for a good price. Can't comment of MMM's, don't have one. Good hunting!

/ Help for a friend #3  
VistanTN

I think your advise is pretty solid. I would lean towards a CUT in the mid to upper 20's so that he can handle ground engaging attachments such as a box blade as well as carry your 3PH attachments. Jay