opinions on future tractor purchase

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #21  
Mailman17 said:
I will never be using my tractor or loader when it is wet. I will ONLY be using it when it is dry. On that basis, what arguments are there to justify spending $4-5k on 4WD when you can get a full load in your loader with a 2WD? The only things I will be using my loader for is to scoop gravel, dirt and mulch, mostly. The only concern that I really had was getting a full scoop with a 2WD tractor. Thoughts?

I am basing my opinion of 4wd on my experience. My father has an older International 544 tractor with a loader & cab. It's somewhere just over 50hp. His (NEW) rear tires are loaded and even with a 3PH attachment of some sorts for ballast, it is just about useless as a loader. It has all the lift capacity that you could need, but you can't get a full bucket of material to save your life. It does more digging with the rear tires than with the bucket. It doesn't matter what the terrain either. My uncle with just a little smaller IH has the identical problem. He can lift a cow to butcher it, but just don't expect to move with it. Can you try both a 2WD & 4WD with a loader before you buy?

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #22  
I have had my tractor for about two months now and I miss a cab.... next tractor will most likely have one, even if it means going slightly smaller.

I do have 4wd and here in Michigan I would never consider getting 2wd. I debated before purchase but there is no debate after 40 hours of use. For even slightly wet soil it makes a huge difference, and sometimes it is useful even for mowing. And for loader work it makes a big difference. I think you could probably get by with 2wd if you have full ballast on the rear and never try to to do loader work in wet conditions. But change either of those and I think 4wd is essential. It also makes a huge difference for tilling, though it didn't sound like that is in your plans. I always used 4wd for loader work and tilling. I can see the tire slip difference instantly if I forget to use it for tilling, and I can feel some uncertainty on the traction if I am doing heavy loader work in 2wd.

I will also say that it is easy to overestimate how much tractor you need with 4wd. My 50hp tractor will pull far more than I had expected. With 4wd I think a 30-35hp tractor is adequate for a whole lot of uses.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #23  
my buddy is a farmer. he has open station and cab tractors.
he likes the cabs for the comfort but admits he feels "out of touch" with the machine.
the says he can feel, smell and hear alot on the open station tractor that he cannot with the cab.
i have never owned a cab so i can't elaborate.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase
Thanks everyone for your input . I guess it is a matter if I want to put an extra $4-5k into it for 4wd . I know I will not regret it in the long run but still ---- it is $4-5k !!!! Yikes .... Guess I will need to start a " help a man get his tractor " fund ......:rolleyes:

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #25  
With your intended usage (mowing and loader), you will probably go for R4 tires. A 2wd with these tires is quite handicapped in the traction department for loader use on any surface other than dry pavement. 4wd will make up for the compromised traction of the R4 tires.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #26  
Mailman17 said:
Thanks everyone for your input . I guess it is a matter if I want to put an extra $4-5k into it for 4wd . I know I will not regret it in the long run but still ---- it is $4-5k !!!! Yikes .... Guess I will need to start a " help a man get his tractor " fund ......:rolleyes:

I hear ya.