opinions on future tractor purchase

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #1  

Mailman17

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Mahindra 4110 TLB
I am going to purchase a tractor in the near future. I would like your opinions on if four wheel drive is really necessary if using a loader. Also, how long, typically, does a/c and heat work if you get a cab on a tractor. The reason I'm asking to see if both are actually worth it. Thanks for your help.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #2  
Mailman17 said:
I am going to purchase a tractor in the near future. I would like your opinions on if four wheel drive is really necessary if using a loader. Also, how long, typically, does a/c and heat work if you get a cab on a tractor. The reason I'm asking to see if both are actually worth it. Thanks for your help.

Is four wheel drive necessary? It depends. What size tractor are you considering? I know plenty of farmers with two wheel drive tractors in the 100 hp range who use front end loaders. Most will say the four wheel drive is roughly the equivalent of 25% more horsepower if you're doing something like pulling a plow, but as long as the two wheel drive is heavy enough on the back end to compensate for whatever load you have on the front end loader, you're OK. Look at all the TLBs (tractor/loader/backhoes) with two wheel drive, but they've got a lot of weight on the back end. With smaller tractors, inadequate counterweights on the back end, you may lighten the weight on the rear wheels enough that they can't get traction and you aren't going anywhere without four wheel drive.

As for heat and air, look at all the farmers using it now-a-days. I'd consider it about like automobile heat and air. If I could afford it, I'd sure have a cab with heat and air and I'd have four wheel drive.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #3  
Mailman17 said:
I am going to purchase a tractor in the near future. I would like your opinions on if four wheel drive is really necessary if using a loader. .

yes!!!

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #4  
Necessary? No. Worth the money? Yes, in my opinion. Loads of info here if you search, but my feeling is based on brakes. In 2wd, you have no front brakes. If you have a load in the bucket and anything happens to cause a forward shift of weight, you can effectively lose all brakes. There are ways around this, such as backing down hills and dumping the load, but 4wd effectively eliminates the need for such workarounds (while keeping in line with safe operating practices, etc.)
whodat

Edit: A note on Bird's reply, re: tlb's. When they excavated for my barn's footings, the contractor used a 2wd allmand tlb. It was totally unable to lift and move a load (in the loader) of dirt due to lack of traction; ended up with them digging with the hoe and me using my old, but 4wd, tractor to move all the spoils.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #5  
What type of machines are you looking at (what size, options, etc.) and how much land/what type of land do you have?

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #6  
Afternoon Mailman,
Im not going to comment on the 4WD, as there are tons of info that has been written the postives and negatives on this subject, just use your search function and you will find more that you are willing to read !;)

On the heat and air options with an enclosed cab, in your neck of the country I would think it would be more than a nice addition ! They will work as long as the systems are maintained properly IMO. If your in that tractor seat for long periods of time during the summer months I think you can probablly answer the question yourself !

Good luck in your search !

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #7  
Mailman17 said:

I farmed for 35+ years with 2WD open station tractors, with one exeption. My loader tractors were both 2WD, the biggest was 52 hp. 4WD isn't NECISSARY, but it sure is NICE. Cabs aren't Necissary, but they are even NICER.

How long does heat and air work? They're every bit as reliable as the same items on a truck or car.

Imagine feeding cattle on a sub-zero day, wind blowing and snow falling. Now imagine a nice cozy, warm cab. Or how about bush hogging in 98 degree dusty dry conditions. Then think about an air conditioned cab with filtered air. Is it worth it? Let me put it this way. Y.E.S.

/ opinions on future tractor purchase #8  
My neighbor and I both have full sized New Holland Loader Backhoes. Mine is 2wd and his is 4wd. His is allot more money, but he can run his and work on days that I cannot. I cannot steer in the mud and I don't have enough traction to get a load of dirt on wet days. He does. I takes allot more effort and planning to get a full load of dirt with my tractor. He doesn't even think about it, he just drives into the dirt pile until he has a full bucket.

4wd if far supperior when comparing similar tractors with the same HP. The advantages of 2wd over 4wd are in the ability to get more HP and a bigger tractor for the same money.

If I ever do it over again, I'll get the same HP and wait a little longer until I can afford 4wd.

Eddie

/ opinions on future tractor purchase
Thanks for your opinions so far. I am looking at 45 to 60 HP. I will be mowing, bush hogging and landscaping around my home. I am not a farmer, but whatever tractor I get, I will have for a long time, so I want to make the correct choices. ;)