Tractor or ATV

/ Tractor or ATV
I think pasture best describes the property. Does that change my needs, particurally with respect to the mower attachement?

/ Tractor or ATV #22  
Not at all in my opinion. My one friend mows his all the time with that pull behind mower.

/ Tractor or ATV #23  
Look at this ----

Attachments

• 46-107981-Trail1.jpg
    46-107981-Trail1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 128
   / Tractor or ATV #24  
and this----

Attachments

• 46-107982-Trail2.jpg
    46-107982-Trail2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 131
   / Tractor or ATV #25  
and another--- I would rather have a tractor but hope these are of interest to you. These are available at Tractor Supply.
J

Attachments

• 46-107983-Rough1.jpg
    46-107983-Rough1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 115
   / Tractor or ATV #26  
Hello,
I currently mow about 2 acres of my farm as a lawn. I have a Sears lawn tractor (16hp 42" deck) I use to mow this. Last year I purchased a 44" Swisher trail mower so I could cut my mowing time down. I figured I could pull it behind my ATV while my wife mowed on the lawn tractor. My ATV is a Suziki 250cc 4wd. Very nice ATV (2 or 4 wheel drive, high, low, and superlow range, differential lock, rear hitch on frame rather than rear axle) but it is air cooled. Could not mow fast enough to keep the ATV cool enough. So now I pull the trail mower offset behind the lawn tractor and it cuts my mowing time in half.

My recomendation's would be as follows:

1)If you decide to go the ATV route, either get a water cooled ATV, or get the electric colling fan
option, and a 66" trail mower.

2)If you can swing the $$$ get the ATV, trailmower, and a lawn tractor, the extra cutting width
will cut your mow time considerablely. You can use the ATV to plow the driveway and pull the
trailmower in the steeper rougher areas. The lawn tractor will be more manuverable for the tight
areas around the house. You could get the ATV, lawn tractor, and trail mower for around the
same price as the compact tractor.

Hope this helps,
Ed

/ Tractor or ATV #27  
I still think you may want to look into a 48" walk-behind mower. Not only could cut your 3 acres of pasture, you could also maintain your lawn around your home very nicely.

Here is my son trying out the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/image/241713> sulky attachment</A>.

With the money savings, you could buy yourself a snow-blower to clear your driveway, and then have two items doing the job that they were intended for, rather than trying to rig an ATV to do those jobs.

Where are you located? I looked at your profile, which provided NO information.

/ Tractor or ATV #28  
I use my JD 425 to cut approx. 5-6 acres of open space around our house and barn buildings previously planted with old alfalfa, timothy, clover. This is tough stuff but the 425 handles it well provided I don't let it get too high. I personally would go with garden tractor with 18-20hp and minimum 54" mower deck.

/ Tractor or ATV
Well,
First, thank you all for your input. I think now I am more confused than I was before. I'm leaning toward a small tractor, because I think it will last forever & I'll find other things to do with is (I need to put in a fence), and let's face it...they're cool. I'm just trying to justify the $$$. Man they are expensive.

We're moving to upper Bucks County, PA. Not really sure how much snow they get, but I'm thinking a plow on my pickup might be the way to go for the driveway. No sense being cold when I'm plowing snow.

Well, I'll keep thinking about it. Please, keep the comments/pictures coming. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I guess I could have worse problems. It's great there are so many options.

/ Tractor or ATV #30  
You can do a lot with the right garden tractor. Here is me with my Ingersoll cutting some woods.

46-108108-bushwac1crop.jpg

Attachments

• 46-108108-bushwac1crop.jpg
    46-108108-bushwac1crop.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 115