Need some advice on a new tractor

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #21  
If you have mud, sand, or most types of dirt, 4wd is extremely handy. And all the more so with a loader. Is it absolutely essential - no - but I use it nearly half the time, for loader work or ground engaging work (usually not for mowing).

The 5103 is a decent tractor, but is a bare bones utility intended for applications requiring more weight or PTO power. The 5105 and 5225 are each totally different tractors from the 5103, though they all look very similar. (The 5105 and 5225 have more features and optional 4wd, but are going to be well into the 20's, even the 30's on a 5225, with 4wd and a loader.)

I think an L4400 (with 4wd) would serve you very well if it's within the budget.

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #22  
The necessity of 4wd is widely debated. But, it is extremely handy on these small light tractors. Loader and box blade capability is markedly increased in 4wd. It also is safer on hills because you get braking in the front wheels.

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #23  
Z-Michigan said:
If you have mud, sand, or most types of dirt, 4wd is extremely handy. And all the more so with a loader. Is it absolutely essential - no - but I use it nearly half the time, for loader work or ground engaging work (usually not for mowing).

The 5103 is a decent tractor, but is a bare bones utility intended for applications requiring more weight or PTO power. The 5105 and 5225 are each totally different tractors from the 5103, though they all look very similar. (The 5105 and 5225 have more features and optional 4wd, but are going to be well into the 20's, even the 30's on a 5225, with 4wd and a loader.)I think an L4400 (with 4wd) would serve you very well if it's within the budget.

this statement sums up why i havent purchased a new tractor yet.....i cant decide EXACTLY what i want. my various needs of present along with potential future needs sometimes are one tractors strenghts' vs another tractors weaknesses, and vice versa. i cant not make myself decide on one model, instead ive got several different makes and models floating around in my head

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #24  
RollingsFarms:

There is no perfect tractor in the "market place" :(. Every
purchased tractor is a "trade off". I will tell you that with any tractor you ultimately get you will find a way to make it work. Jay

/ Need some advice on a new tractor
Well I have actually went to the dealer today. I drove the 990 the l4400, 5103 ,5203 4x4, I drove a z-trax 737 also.

I feel in love with the 5203 and that seems to be the right choice for me but not my budget right now. So I went in a different direction I bought a z-trax 737 I am going to use it cut everything that I was going to use a finishing mower for. So now I am going to wait and save some cash and sell my old tractors and get a 5203.

Thanks for all the options and help

Brian

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #26  
jbrumberg said:
RollingsFarms:

There is no perfect tractor in the "market place" :(. Every
purchased tractor is a "trade off". I will tell you that with any tractor you ultimately get you will find a way to make it work. Jay

sadly, you are correct. now im trying to list the things in order of importance that im looking for in a tractor, while trying to work out a good budget to aim for, but to not be too stingy as this will be the tractor i keep for years to come and will be doing many different things in that time. if all of us were wealthy i think wed go out and buy about 5 tractors.....one tractor to do one certain thing perfectly without having to give up versatility somewhere else because we'd have another tractor specifically for that job.haha:p

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #27  
How about one tractor for each attachment!

I hate changing implements.

/ Need some advice on a new tractor
I would love to have about 5 tractors. New ones not the old worn out ones I have now.

Whats the old saying good things come to who wait.

Which I should be selling some timber soon so maybe that will buy the 5203 :)

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #29  
swampvol said:
How about one tractor for each attachment!

I hate changing implements.

swampvol:

In a moment of "weakness" I thought about buying my old tractor back from the dealership. Jay

/ Need some advice on a new tractor #30  
bkcook said:
Well I have actually went to the dealer today. I drove the 990 the l4400, 5103 ,5203 4x4, I drove a z-trax 737 also.

I feel in love with the 5203 and that seems to be the right choice for me but not my budget right now. So I went in a different direction I bought a z-trax 737 I am going to use it cut everything that I was going to use a finishing mower for. So now I am going to wait and save some cash and sell my old tractors and get a 5203.

Thanks for all the options and help

Brian
Congrats on the new machine. :clap: