trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #21  
duane,
See if you can drop the pan. Then you can drop a cap at a time, to see what the damage is. If you are real lucky, you might not have damaged a journal and can just change out the damaged insert. You won't know until the pan is off.
E-mail Woods. They will tell you if the NH mower is compatible with their loader.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #22  
No one seems to be asking why the engine was empty of oil in the first place! Did Dad have a senior moment when changing oil (happened to me at 17 -)? Or did the engine use the oil?

That is one question that needs to be answered. You could be lucky and just need to pop in an insert, which is no big deal. Provided you can drop the pan.

It could also be a fuel injector. The poppet spring could have broken and it's pumping way too much fuel.

As far as value, broken tractors usually sell for retail minus 1.5-2 x the estimated cost to repair. I would estimate this at $3500 for a rebuilt long block + labor. Probably 5-6,000 deduction from retail price. Probably that puts it at 5-6,000 for the tractor. That's how I would look at it as a BUYER.

jb

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?
Mcdenny,

you are absolutely right about not being able to get the pan down... way too much "stuff" in the way. So, that means splitting the thing in two. I will definitely check for sparklys in the oil, but since it's been sitting for so long, I doubt that any sparklys are still suspended in the oil.

John_bud,

I don't believe my dad had a senior moment changing the oil... he's pretty sharp for his age. He claims that the tractor smoked quite a bit, and thought that maybe the rings had never seated properly, or that someone had done something to cause them to leak before he bought the tractor in 2002. I don't know fur sure that the tractor ever smoked that much... I ran it a few times and never noticed anything. He could just be remembering the typical black smoke of a diesel when it first starts up or when it's lugging and then relating that to this incident after the fact. I just don't know. I think my dad has enough experience with heavy equipment and tractors to be able to tell the difference, but maybe in his senior years he doesn't. My dad has never been too intentional about making sure his stuff gets serviced. He usually counted on his employees to take care of that kind of stuff. Basically, I think he thought that the tractor shouldn't need the oil checked cause a) it was so new and shouldn't be burning oil, and b) the guys should have checked it anyways. Obviously a costly error on his part on a machine that really wasn't part of his commercial line-up of equipment.

I never thought that it could be an injector. Is this actually possible? That a bad injector could cause such a terrible clatter? I mean, I know we're talking extreme compression in a diesel motor, and I know how bad a gas engine can sound with severe detonation occurring... i don't know if that's something he's even considered.

I wonder if he remembers how much oil he had to put into it when he filled it up after it started knocking... it would be interesting to see if the oil level was low enough to suck the pan dry, then I would say he definitely spun a rod... but if there was enough oil that the sump didn't actually start sucking air, then maybe it's somthing else. an injector perhaps.

I am interested more in this injector issue... maybe that needs explored.

Thank you guys so much for your input. This forum was a good place to start exploring options.

Duane

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #24  
So we have have a spun rod bearing which Dennis did a very good job at describing, and a oil consumption problem with anearly new engine, so a total tear down is not out of the question. The best that could be done would be a total tear down as there must be a ring out of place or something of that nature.

As far as one tractor over the other, I'd only buy a bx with out three ranges, I've used most all makes and know both of the units in question very well. I'd consider swapping for a like size larger Kubota and not go thru the aggrivation of the engine work when there is not one but two problems and you won't know what one is until you are into it. Denny told you the most common reason for a lower end knock to come in from oil starvation but you still need to fix the cause of loss.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #25  
If Dad only put a quart in it, then it is a different story as it never starved for oil. Most times on a newer tractor a terrible rod knock ends up being an injector. This was explained above, and well done I might add. Of course if it actually starved for oil, you'll be back to the crank and rods.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #26  
Duaner said:
I never thought that it could be an injector. Is this actually possible?

They can knock pretty bad and cause a smoke problem. That would definitely be something to check out before a full blown engine rebuild. If the engine is rebuilt and the problem was an injector, you are still going to have to the injector taken care of.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?
I talked a little more with dad today. He said the the tractor was definitely out of oil. So it's definitly a spun rod bearing. I have convinced my dad to fix it and keep it for himself in his retirement. He is a little aprehensive about having someone do machine work on it, but I assured him that I would take care of it and make sure everything is done properly.

So, I guess I will stop dreaming of boomers and rear discharge mowers... that's ok. I like helping my dad out. Too bad kubota doesn't make a rear discharge for my tractor. That's really the main thing i liked about the new holland. aanyways.... thank you guys for the input.

duane

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #28  
Good luck Duaner, and remember if you need any help or advice, we are all here to help. Have fun repairing it with your Dad.

Dennis