trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #1  

Duaner

I have a 2003 Kubota B2710 with a FEL and 72" belly mower. It has 280 hours on it.

My father has a 2000 New Holland TC33 with supersteer and a Woods FEL. The tractor only has about 200 (yes i said 200) hours on it, but the engine needs rebuilt. My father ran the tractor out of oil and now there is a great deal of noise coming from the bottom end. I am assuming that the rings never seated properly or something, and that the block will at least need honed, or possibly bored, and that the crank will need reground or just replaced.

Anyways, both tractors are in perfect condition. I was hoping I could sell my 2710 for enough money to buy my father's TC33 and buy a 62" midmount mower for it and get any machine work done that it needs. I can do all the wrenching myself. Does this sound possible? I was hoping I could get 15K for mine, and buy my dad's for say 10Kor 11K. I am assuming a belly mower is going to run around 3K and machine work and rebuild kit around 1k.

The TC33 is such a nice peice of equipment, and I would love to have one of new hollands rear discharge belly mowers for it. Don't get me wrong, my kubota has been a terrific work horse, but it seems like the TC33 is a step or two up from it. Let me know what all you pros think... and let me know if my dollar figures are in the right area.

Duane

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #2  
If the noise is at the bottom end, at least one (or more) rod or main bearings are probably shot.
Any idea how long the tractor was ran without oil? Did the engine seize?
I'm assuming the oil was replaced and your father has, at least, started the engine.
I suggest you determine exactly what will require replacement before you sell your Kubota. Also, I suggest you find out what a 2000 TC33 is worth. I'd guess around $7000-$9000 with a blown engine...maybe. But it's going to be tough finding someone to buy it.

Anyway, you're looking at an engine rebuild that, unless you can do the work yourself, may cost you $2000-$4000. Installing a used or rebuilt engine might be the better option.
BTW, has the tractor been checked out by a diesel mechanic?

A Mid-Mount Mower would cost you in the neighborhood of $2500.

Sorry...I just don't think this is a good deal...not until you determine the actual costs involved.

As far as selling your Kubota...that machine is only 4 years old. You'd probably take a loss on it since you're competing against new tractors.

Good luck in your decision...just make sure you know what you're doing before you make any decision.

Last edited:
   / trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?
No, the engine did not seize. It just started knocking really bad while he was using it. So he shut it down and discovered the lack of oil. It hasn't ran since then... that was probably 2 years ago or more.

I had no idea that these little diesels were so costly to work on. I am a machinist, but don't have access to engine machining equipment. I do know a few diesel mechanics, farmers, and engine machinists that could help me out. I have worked on many a small block chevy in my lifetime, but never a diesel. I guess I shouldn't assume that there was a problem with the rings that caused the tractor to burn oil... it could have been the head... if that was the case, that would likely be an expensive fix. My dad was talking about a new motor costing around $3500. I don't know if that is a long or short block.

One other concern that I have is whether the Woods 1009 FEL is compatible with a mid mount mower. There looks to be a support frame underneath the tractor that would interfere with a mid mount. I don't know if that brace needs to be there or not. This FEL mounts almost identical to the FEL on my kubota if it wasn't for that brace. If I had to switch to a new holland loader in order to mount a belly mower, that would be additional cost that I could not afford. I mean, the loader that's on it looks brand new, but I would still lose money on a trade.

I think a new 27 horse kubota outfitted like mine goes for about 20k... I would think I could get 15 out of mine. But maybe not. My kubota is paid off, so whatever I get out of it is mine.

I am also concerned slightly about the supersteer on the new holland. No problems with it to date on my fathers tractor, but it sure looks like it wouldn't be as reliable as a regular front axle... and might cost me more money down the road.

Anything else you would like to input... feel free!

thanks
duane

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #4  
Can you find another tractor like your dad's, buy it, and use your dads for a parts tractor? I wouldn't think your dad will ever get ten thousand for his tractor if it's not running, might as well have 7000 hrs on it. Before doing anything (buying or selling), I would change oil and try to crank. Might crank right up, then see how bad it actually is.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it?
this is definitely not a "parts" tractor. Honestly, aside from a crappy engine it's basically brand new. The loader isn't even hardly scratched. The tractor definiitely runs. It ran great right up until the time it started knocking, aside from always smoking a bit more than diesels usually do. He shut it off immediately after it started to knock and has not bothered to start it since then or to repair anything.

so what should my first step be in investigating this? Talk to a diesel mechanic?

My dad asked me if it was worth 10k. I said from looking around that if I could get it fixed for 1k (doing some of the disassembly and reassembly myself) that it probably would be. But I don't know now if I can fix it for that. A couple farmer I talked to thought I could given that I have some experience in engines and tearing things apart. I guess like roy said... get all the info on costs and go from there.

It sure seems like a heavier duty tractor than my kubota. From the castings to the frame to the loader... just heavier duty.

Has anyone heard of any issues with the supersteer? I guess I could search that here at the forum huh?

thanks again... keep the input coming
duane

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #6  
Nothing in your profile, where are you located? I guess next step would be to pull pan and inspect rod/crank/bearings. According to damage found, you can better get an estimate of repair cost. I'm sure there are some diesel mechanics near you that could do this if you don't feel you are up to it. Might even go to dealer and see what they would offer you for it in trade on a newer unit. I'm sure they could fix and resell for a profit, you could upgrade from your Kubota. Keep us posted, and if you tear down, post pics.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #7  
If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Which one isn't broken, and which one needs fixing?

:tiphat:

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #8  
crbr said:
If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Which one isn't broken, and which one needs fixing?

:tiphat:
My father has a 2000 New Holland TC33 with supersteer and a Woods FEL. The tractor only has about 200 (yes i said 200) hours on it, but the engine needs rebuilt.

This is what he said in the 1st post above.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #9  
I have a TC33D with a 72" MMM, and supersteer I purchased the tractor and mower as a package a few years ago and added a FEL. The dealer tried to sell me a wood FEL, however said it wasn't compatable with the MMM. They told me that I had to purchase a 7308 FEL to work with the MMM. I have not had any issues with Supersteer and think it is great for mowing.

/ trade b2710 for broken tc33... worth it? #10  
BTDT said:
My father has a 2000 New Holland TC33 with supersteer and a Woods FEL. The tractor only has about 200 (yes i said 200) hours on it, but the engine needs rebuilt.

This is what he said in the 1st post above.
I think the poster was indicating that it would be smarter to keep the one that isn't broke than to buy a broken one with unknown costs to repair.