How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be?

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #1  

Pale Rider

Hello all. I'm moving in about two months and going from 1/5 of an acre to two acres. My brother-in-law has a friend who is getting rid of his Cub Cadet 1515. The guy's intention was to regularly cut his 3/4 acre lot but he's sort of the executive-type and he just doesn't have the time and now he just wants someone to take it off his hands. Supposedly the thing has like less than 30 hours on it. My bro-in-law says that he doesn't even want money for it, that I should just offer him $100 or a bottle of wine as a nice jesture.

At any rate, will the 1515 be enough to cut 2 acres? The lot is for the most part level except for a slight incline towards the front yard where it meets the curb. I've never owned anything larger than a 21-inch Craftsman residential mower. I figure if I don't like the Cub I can put it up on Craigslist and get some money for it and put that towards a small ZTR mower. Any thoughts? What is an excellent condition 1515 worth? Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #2  
The 1515 has a 15 HP Kohler engine and cuts a swath 38" wide.

Here's the specs:
15 HP Kohler Command OHV engine provides maximum power for the toughest work and offers full pressure lubrication engine plus hydraulic valve lifters for years of trouble free operation
96 cm (38") high vacuum quick attach mowing deck inlcudes mulch plug.
Mount and detach your mowing deck in just minutes without tools.
A rigid, twin C-Channel, 11 gauge, full-length, welded steel frame provides maximum strength.
Our exclusive Auto Hydro transmission with cruise control gives you an infinite range of forward and reverse speeds with easy Cast Aluminium Forward & Reverse Foot Pedal control
Cast Iron front axle for strength and durability.
4 bolt automotive style wheel hubs
Slide adjustable seat

This will do fine for cutting 2 acres of lawn.

I'd suggest you get it tomorrow so you don't miss it.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #3  
That old saying about looking in the mouth of a gift horse fits here.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #4  
It might do OK cutting 2 acres, but I think you will soon tire of how long it is taking to mow. I think you will soon want a deck larger than 38." I think you'll be wanting at least a 48" or 54" deck. But at least you could use this to get your started until you decide what you really want to get.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #5  
38" might take a little longer for 2 acres, however even if you gave him $100, that is a steal (basically free)! I would get it and start mowing. If you ever want a bigger mower, you can also keep that as a cart puller, or sell it (you could get more than $100 for sure).

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be?
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking that at least a 48-inch deck would be ideal for this size lawn. As of last week, my brother-in-law said it was basically mine and that he'll let me know when his neighbor was back in town so I could go pick it up.

Hey, as far as the gift horse, I'm not complaining. But I've also heard the phrase, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I have not seen the tractor yet so I'll reserve my judgment until it's actually in my possession.

If and when I get it, I'll be sure to post a pic.

Thanks for the all the helpful replies.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #7  
I agree with the others that it's on the small side, but still big enough to do what you need. If you find that you want to spend the money to buy something bigger, or faster, I'd keep it for edging around the house and trees. Selling it used won't get you very much money, but having a second mower can be very handy.

I use my 43 inch craftsman ride along mower for my fairly small front yard and mowing my fencelines. Then I mow the rest with my 6 foot bush cutter on the back of my tractor. Neither one are capable of doing what the other does, but combined, they work great!!!

Congrats on a great deal,
Eddie

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #8  
Wow, talk about spoiled! I used to cut 2 1/2 acres with a 19" lawn boy 2 cycle push mower that was abandoned under a 6' tall pile of horse manure. It only took eleven days to cut. By the end of the first season the lawn was down to about 1 acre ..... The rest you needed a safari guide and a pith helmet to traverse.

Next season I got a 1969 AMF with a 8 hp motor and a 30 in cut. Woo-hoo fat city! But it took 2 hours of repair for every 1 hour of mowing. (rats!) Plus, you had to walk the cut areas to find and retrieve the parts that fell off....

Two seasons of that and I got a 12.5 hp JD with a 38 in cut and used that to cut the full 2 1/2 acres for 12 years. 8 years ago, the JD went away and a Cub 2185 with 21 hp and 48" deck took over. The time to cut dropped to about 3 hours. (lots of trees, shrubs and stuff).

I think you will do fine with the free 1515!! If the ground is flat, smooth and without many obstructions you can get an acre done in about 1 1/2 hours.

jb

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #9  
Buy the guy a good bottle of wine, trade for the tractor, leave the tractor on a trailer, visit a dealer, trade the tractor for a bigger used machine with more hours on it, go home and mow.

I was just at a dealer auction where they sold many machines in that class for $1000 and up. I bought a JD 240 -- 14 hp Kawasaki, gear drive, 48" deck, unknown hours -- for $850 and thought I got a good deal. This tractor is 15 years old. The dealer did nothing to it except change the oil and put a price tag on it, which was well over twice what I paid at the auction.

I have an old Cadet 109 which got a new 12 hp engine a couple of years ago. That one was built in the early 70's. It works fine but the quality of cut from the old deck with no baffles left is pretty poor. This is now the rough area mower, manure spreader hauler, part time snow plow, feed wagon hauler, etc. I plan to use it in that capacity for many years to come.

/ How Bad Can a free lawn tractor be? #10  
I use to mow 1.5 acreas with a 36" deck... took 5 beers. Now mow with a 60" deck and it takes only 2 beers. Cut mowing time from 5 to 2 beers.

mark