New and need help.

/ New and need help.
Thanks guys for all the information. Some asked for a little more information.
The land is fairly flat and mostly sandy. As far as other uses besides bush hogging, and plowing would be possibly pulling some stumps and maybe getting a finishing mower for the yard.
I appreciate all your help.

Sorry but I have to ask since I don't know much about tractors what does HST stand for? I assume it is some type of brand.

/ New and need help. #12  
wisc:

There is always a special "lingo" for whatever area of interest you get seriously involved in (as an example try to figure out what two sailors are talking about :confused:). HST = Hydrostatic Transmission (AKA automatic transmission). There are several (3 basic) transmission styles in my opinion, but I do not want to overwhelm you with sensory overload. I will say that with flat and sandy conditions 4WD becomes less of a requirement when it comes to buying a used tractor and you can get higher HP for your money. We all have had a "learning curve" as it relates to tractor ownership. I wish there was a TBN around 20 year ago when I got my first tractor. I have learned a lot in the ~ two years of TBN membership. You keep asking and we will keep answering; keep the posts coming- Jay

/ New and need help. #13  
Your description of tasks and land indicate that you can probably get by without 4wd or a loader. I think a ford 8n would be best for your needs. Look for a 51-52 model, and be sure to use an overrunning coupler on the brush-hog. My wife really likes my 8n and drives it well. This tractor will easily handle a 5 ft brush-hog, and plow (1) acre/hr in second gear with a 2-12" plow. No tractor has better parts availability and it is not hard to find a real good one for less than $3000. If and when you decide to update, you can almost always sell one for more than you paid for it, that will not happen if you buy a new chinese tractor. The 8n does lack some of the bells and whistles of a new machine, but has everything necessary to get the job done. It's 3 pt hitch is compatable with today's implements. This tractor's durability is legendary and even though it has been more than 50 years since one was made, most are still in service.

/ New and need help. #14  
I'm the last person who should be describing HST, but basically it is an automatic transmission type of thing. Basically, you have a rocker type foot pedal that when you push forward you go forward and when you rock it back you go in reverse. Super easy to drive. Great for using a front end loader and going back and forth, etc. But, as you can imagine, it ups the price a fair amount and diminished available horsepower. But, HST is very popular.

For your specific case, I would not advise a used tractor. I'm not against used as a rule but there are several things in your case that would recommend against it. First, it sounds like you are new to tractors. Just because its used doesn't mean its going to need constant wrenching, but it might need some. Second, you are going to be a long way away a fair amount of time. You don't want to have to deal with malfunctions long distance, or spend your precious seat time wrenching. Third, your wife is probably not going to want to deal with a tractor that needs special care.

All of that assumes that because its used it is going to have problems. That is not a given by any stretch. But that's where number four comes in. Good, low hour used tractors are not cheap. If you have $10k in cash you might find what you want in a decent used. But if you are going to have to borrow any money at all, most of the major manufacturers offer 0% financing which gets you more tractor for less money.

As far as what to buy, you've gotten some good pointers. I don't know anything about New Holland or Massey. But you can't go wrong with them. I don't know anything about Kioti or Mahindra either, but likely to be good, affordable machines. I agree with others that you should look at 30-45 hp. I think an FEL (front end loader) is also a must. You will use it in more ways than you can imagine and it expands the functionality of your machine exponentially.

So, 30-45 hp and FEL. That means $10k is probably not going to do it in the new or shiny used market. At least it didn't for me and i looked pretty hard.

I have a Kubota L4400, a very basic 45 hp, 4wd with FEL. It was about $19,000. The L3400 can be had for less and is 30 hp, it comes in an HST model but that raises the price, of course. The John Deere 790 is comparable to the L3400 but a bit less tractor all the way around, but for less money. The JD 990 is very comparable to the L4400 and similarly priced. Those are the 'economy' tractors I looked at.

Where are you stationed? Pensicola? I was stationed at Eglin AFB. I now live in SC. Where is your place in SC?

/ New and need help.
Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks for clarifying HST.
N80 I'm stationed at NAS Key West. Not much need for a tractor on the island. My place in SC is near Pageland. Small rural town.
WISC

/ New and need help. #16  
I'd stay away from the Chinese tractors if you're not familiar with working on them. I just bought this year and when I was asking about warranties on the Jimna (Chinese brand) was told 6 months on parts nothing on labor. Not knowing a darn thing about diesels that scared me off. There is a heck of a lot to be said for a tractor that you just check the fluid levels and then start up. Go Navy!!!

/ New and need help. #17  
Well I'm going to bust another mith,,,northerns come with a 6 months parts and labor,,you can buy more cheap,when I bought mine I added another 6months parts and labor for about 250 dollars,,,didn't get my moneys worth either.
Thing about them is,,very few jinma dealers who sell them work on them themselfs,,,,but any shop who does mecinics work can do the work,northern pays and sends parts,thats how it used to work anyways,sure it still does.
Different dealers offer different warrentys. Asked my local john deal place about working on it if needed when I bought it about 4 1/2 years ago,,he said he would and would be happy to take my money,independant dealer,,,
bet there are other brands out their that operate same way,,,was looking at a kioti before buying this nortrac,,used car lot,no garage,,he said he had arraingement with a garage to do any work,,which might not be even as good as northern if the work would have to be done in just one shop,,think about it.
Nothing wrong with busting chinese tractors,,they are the cheapest new tractor going,,,just get your facts straight is all,,,,thingy

/ New and need help. #18  
I would go for a used tractor. A 1970's or 80's Ford 3 cyl diesel with power steering and the SOS transmission. Some hate the sos trans as the first ones (in 1959) were poor, but the later ones have proven themselves to be about bullet proof. Models to look at would be 2000, 3000 and 4000 series. They are larger as the numbers go up. No matter what you get, make sure it has power steering - both you and your wife will be thankful. You can get a real good tractor in these ranges for 4-7000. Often with a front end loader for that price.

jb

/ New and need help. #19  
wisc said:
I have about 21 acres of land in SC. I need a tractor. Plan on bush hogging, 10 acres, plowing 2-3, and the rest maybe planting in pines. If I don't plant in pines I'll probably plow it up and plant food plots for deer.

I have a somewhat similar setup - 20 acres, currently tilling 5, brushhogging 5 or so (pastures and outer yard). I have a JD5105, a 50hp utility tractor with 4wd and a front end loader (FEL). I don't think you need anything nearly this big (and I'm not sure I do either!).

How often are you mowing the 10 acres? If only 2-4 times a year, I think you'd be ok with a 5' mower. Yes, a 6' cuts more each pass, but is also more awkward to turn, making it harder to get close to trees. A 5' mower will do roughly 2.5 acres per hour with adequate power, letting you do the whole property in 4 hours or so. If a 5' is big enough, that reduces the size of tractor you need (a rule of thumb is 5hp per foot of width). Plowing will presumably be only once or at most twice a year - so if you need an hour or two per acre, that's still at most 12 hours per year.

I think you may need only 25-30hp for your starting tasks. A Ford 8N would work, but wouldn't be my first choice because it's very basic and didn't originally have ROPS (a rollover bar) which I consider essential for safety.

I would look at a Kubota L2800, JD 790, New Holland TC30, and a Kioti CK30. I would look at Chinese tractors only if there is a local dealer for them that seems really good. I would drive both gear and HST models and see what you like better. HST would be a lot nicer for mowing around obstacles and in tight areas, but has no real advantage if you're mowing one big rectangular 10 acre field. I would not buy a FEL to start with, but definitely get something that you can add one to later if it's useful. Finally, your tasks don't seem to require 4wd, but I would consider getting it anyway because it is really nice to have and can't be added on later.

/ New and need help. #20  
I wouldn't consider an 8n either.. since the wife will be using it.

However.. a 6' mower isn't much more awkward to turn than a 5'

Soundguy