Which to buy? Used NH/JD/Kubota vs. New Chinese?

/ Which to buy? Used NH/JD/Kubota vs. New Chinese? #11  
I'd go with a used big name also.

About 15 years my dad bought a new belarus. It, like your chinese brands, was crude in construction but did the job OK for a few years, then the problems came. Things broke that shouldn't have broken due to the poor quality steel and poor construction. Parts became very hard to find and if you could find them they were very expensive (example:$340 they wanted for a starter). Now that old belarus sits in the weeds, like every other belarus that I know of around here. I haven't seen one running around here in years.

My take on it is that if you want something reliable then you're better off with a name brand: JD, kubota, new holland, massey. The off brands most likely won't hold up and when they do break you won't be able to find parts for them. There's a lot of work being done around here with old MF 135's and Ford 3000's, but very seldom do you see an older tractor in running condition that's built by an off brand manufacturer. The key in my opinion is parts support. I don't care if the same dealer that sold the tractor is in business or not, but I danged sure want to be able to get parts for when the thing breaks. All tractors break sooner or later, some break more than others, but they all break. Availability of parts in 10-20 years is why I wouldn't buy an off brand tractor.

What it all boils down to is that a well taken care of used tractor from one of the major manufacturers is going to be more reliable and give you better service over the long run than a new chinese tractor. Bet on it.

/ Which to buy? Used NH/JD/Kubota vs. New Chinese?
thanks all for the input. SOS, which brand of tractor did you have?

part of my criteria is that my wife can drive it, so as i get out to visit the various dealers in our area, usability for her, will be key. the old long i have, had such a stiff clutch that my wife couldn't depress it, she would literally lift stand on the pedal and it didn't move.

the pattern i'm seeing developing is that parts availability is paramount. from my brief search of TBN for the life of CUTs, the numbers i see are about 2k-3k hours, is this about right. i still have some searching and reading to do.

thanks again for the info.