Need advice - soup to nuts

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #1  

95_tlc

Hello

I have read information on this forum before and have enjoyed peeking into the vast knowledge of some of the folks who visit here. Here is my situation, with some misc. data points, and I am hoping for some great advice.

I am in the process of purchasing 30-acres of property in SE Texas. The land is flat, except for the occasional creek bed. The current owner of the property finish mows about 4-acres with a ZTR, brush hogs about 10-acres and the rest is wooded - except for 3-acres of ponds. I have looked at the green, orange, red and blue tractors locally - primarily in the 30ish HP range. I have no color preference, however each of the major brands has a local dealership. All I own right now is a 42" cut John Deere riding mower that I use at the home I am selling.

Please advise me on combinations, HP range, transmission types (I do have two young children <10 yrs. old), implements, etc. I am an engineer, so I can analyze things to death and never make a decision which is why I am asking for your advice.

One more thing - I don't want this to sway your advice, but one thing to consider is that in the future I MIGHT convert part of the property to a hay field (10-acres or so) and have a few cows and horses.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #2  
It's always hard when someone asks those questions. Everyone will primarily tell you to get brand X if that is what they have. If they have a Y transmission, that is what they will tell you to get. It doesn't always work out that way but for the most part it does. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and if the dealer is any good for that brand. All over TBN you will find threads where some members say that the dealer doesn’t make any difference. Well, when reading more, you will notice that some member have problems because of the dealer being so far away or not willing to work with them. Given that, the dealer does make a difference.
Check out your local major brand dealers, Massey, Kubota, John Deere, New Holland and also check out Kioti if they have decent dealers in your area to see what they have that you can drive. Try them all and see what fits you the best. If and I say if you get a tractor that has a major problem, you will be glad that you have a good dealer. All brands have a problem child once in awhile.
Afterward come and ask questions if you have some about specific models and options.
Asking about hp rating as you have is defiantly a good place to start. If you want to hay, you will need a utility tractor not a compact.
Did you see a model that you thought would fit what you wanted when you went to the dealers?

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #3  
95 tlc:

Welcome to TBN :D! We all have an idea of your location and property; tell us more of what you want to do both in the short term and long term. If you intend to maintain the property as the current owner I think you are in the ballpark for a tractor in the high 20's to low 30's. If mowing/brush hogging will be your primary use you will probably want a lighter weight tractor; if you want to move dirt you want a heavier tractor. I would keep your rider- it will give you more options. Beware :eek:!- The membership at TBN loves to spend everyone's money :cool:, and ther are a few HP junkies in TBN land :). Jay

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #4  
Now you know that there aren't really any real horsepower junkies on this board...
Just because I have two tractors and a lawnmower that total 192 horsepower and only own 2.3 acres of land, doesn't mean I am a HP Junkie!(?)
David from jax

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #5  
95 tlc,

When you start to focus on specific models you can search for past posts on them at TBN. Note specific problems if any and get a feel for factory support.
This will alert you as to what to ask and look for when purchase time comes.

Happy hunting

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #6  
sandman2234 said:
Now you know that there aren't really any real horsepower junkies on this board...
Just because I have two tractors and a lawnmower that total 192 horsepower and only own 2.3 acres of land, doesn't mean I am a HP Junkie!(?)
David from jax

sandman2234 aka David:

In my mind :confused: it depends on your use. You may need a lot of HP in a small area for some uses and that justifies everything (I am now startng to work "She Who Must Be Obeyed :eek:" for a "small" excavator :cool:). Jay

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #7  
95_tlc said:
One more thing - I don't want this to sway your advice, but one thing to consider is that in the future I MIGHT convert part of the property to a hay field (10-acres or so) and have a few cows and horses.

Two comments:

1) Horses consume money like it's grass. Just FYI!

2) I purchased a utility based on things that I MIGHT do in the future and things that would be "kind of nice to have." I find it is much bigger than I need for the things I actually am doing. I would have been better off staying smaller and using the extra money for implements. Something I didn't fully appreciate, but do now, is that the tractor is merely a power unit - all the actual work gets done with implements, and you will find you want far more than you may now think you will. Better to get the tractor sized for immediate needs and be able to buy each tool you want as its use becomes apparent. I know this is contrary to what many say about planning for future opportunities - I think that is good advice for professional farmers, but questionable for people like you and me. If you do want to do hay in the future, you will probably find that the necessary hay tools (specialized mower, rake, and baler) cost as much as, or probably more than, a used 2wd ag tractor capable of running them. Meanwhile you can be enjoying a handy sized CUT with HST and lots of toys to do various things quickly and conveniently.

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #8  
An other thing to think about, f you want to cut the 10 acres for hay. You might be better off looking for a new neighbor that might cut and bale the hay for you. You wouldn't have to have such a large tractor or have to invest all that money in hay equipment. Then you could get a compact tractor but one still large enough to move the bales around to feed the animals. It would be a real plus if you have a neighbor like that.

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #9  
Welcome to TBN 95_tlc!
Will you be cutting and baling your own hay when you reach that stage of development? If so, you may want to look at a ltlle more than 30 HP.
You didn't mention anything about an FEL. If you have been reading this site, I am sure you have seen the versatility provided by having one.
How about your fencing? What is its condition? If it may need to have a major repair or replacement you'll probably be looking at a PHD in the future. For certain, you will be building/adding fencelines when you add livestock to keep them out of your hayfield and away from the house. Manure in the front yard is not pleasant.
Before I forget, you'll need a BB to maintain your road.
Oh yes, you wanted to know about a tractor. You said SE Texas, if you are near Tomball, that is where the Mahindra Assembly and Distribution Center is located. Yes, I do own a Mahindra and I swear by it.
One last thing. Four wheel drive. Don't pass it over, especially if you get an FEL.
As one of our contributors says, that is my $.02 worth. Good luck to you and let us know what you are up to.

/ Need advice - soup to nuts #10  
tc-45da new holland with hst and cab