Undecided what to by

/ Undecided what to by #1  

Bobaievoli

I am new to the tractor world. I have 21 hilly wooded acres in Virginia. I would like to get a tractor to move dirt, clear woods, clear brush and many more challenges. I have been told tractor weight is very important in evaluating tractors. I have spoken with John Deere about the 4300 with front loader and they want $19,600 (not including tax) and the New Holland dealership wanted $18,000 for the TD 33 with front loader (not including tax). I will heavily use the front loader. Again, the terrain here is very hilly and I am a new comer to using a tractor - aside from my lawn tractor. I am concerned about tractor reliability and safety. Your help in making this decision is appreciated.

/ Undecided what to by #2  
You didn't mention <font color=orange>KUBOTA<font color=orange><font color=black>/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Kubota has some grand L series.

/ Undecided what to by #3  
Bogaievoli,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the tractor search process. If you are like many of us, figuring out what to buy will be harder than half of the jobs you will use it for./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Being that you are brand new to the tractor world, I would suggest that a great starting point is the book authored by the founder of this forum. It covers the basics about tractors and implements as well as offers many buying and safety tips. If you go to the home page there is a banner that will lead you to information about the book so you can see if it would be of interest to you.

Another wealth of information can be found by doing some searches here on the forum. I will warn you that it can take more than a few minutes to read even part of what is available.

If I understand you correctly, you do not plan on using the tractor for finish mowing. If that is the case, you have already narrowed things down, which is good. Your question as to reliability is not too hard. Both of the brands you have looked at already as well as several others have great reliability and longevity. For the most part diesel compact tractor are pretty much trouble free if the normal maintenance procedures are followed.

Safety is a harder question to answer. There is no doubt that tractors on hills can be dangerous if not used correctly. Many of us live on hilly land so you can do it safely by following certain precautions. Again, reading through the Safety category on the forum will give you a great deal of information.

Keep asking questions as they come to you. You will find many knowledgeable people willing to help here. The more information you can share about the projects you foresee and the grade of your land the better. It really helps when offering specific recommendations on tractor size and implements needed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MarkV

/ Undecided what to by #4  
My advice would be the same as the others. Get some books. Read as much as you can here and elsewhere. Take your time deciding what tasks you need to accomplish and determine what size machine you need to do it. Above all, test drive all of the different brands and see which one feels right to you. I took well over a year to decide what was right for me. Good luck and keep us posted as to your decision making progress. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Undecided what to by #5  
I have looked over the JD, NH, and Kubota tractors in this class. I haven't bought yet, but it looks as if I'll go with the Kubota L3010. I would like to have the L3710 but my budget precludes that. Your prices seem high for my area (NW GA). I looked at a 4300 w/ loader and R4s Saturday for $18,900 in Dalton, GA and that dealer's prices on Kubota were the highest I have seen so far. Their L3010 w/ loader and R4s was $18,100. Two Kubota dealers closer to me have quoted L3010 w/ loader and R1s at $16,300 and $16,340. Traction will be more important to me so I'll be shopping for a machine with R1s. If you can find a dealer that carries more than one brand, look them over side by side. That really helped me firm up my decision on Kubota.

/ Undecided what to by #7  
There is only one thing that I would add to the previous good suggestions. Never overlook the experience of your neighbors. Even if they don't have tractors, they can probably tell you the kinds of jobs that come up and make suggestions. You may also find that there are some implements which are used infrequently which you can share with them. A post-hole auger is a good example. Working in the woods is very different from mowing fields and plowing gardens. For you, a power winch might be a necessity; whereas for someone else, a disc harrow might be needed. I think you are wise to look at buying a new or nearly new tractor. If you are not familiar with them, it's easy to get stuck with someone else's problems. If you buy new, you'll be using instead of fixin'. ...my two cents...

/ Undecided what to by #8  
Find one that's comfortable to you with a good responsible dealer. Weight can always be added (I have my rears liquid filled). If you've got a lot of brush to remove, look carefully at all hose locations and wiring for protection. Cable tie them down if possible. Brush will always find a way to tear something loose. I've lost lynch pins (now I safety wire them and carry spares) and recently had the front axle dipstick/cap removed. JD makes them out of plastic so if they get whacked away they go. I have a canopy and its definetly saved me from getting hit by branches several times. Get a toothbar for the loader. Makes brush removal much easier. I'm sure a Brush Brute would work better (check other threads) but the local dealer doesn't seem interested in ordering me one - odd. I think the models you listed are 4WD. It's a must w/ brush clearing.

/ Undecided what to by #9  
MY ADVICE : is to read, books, this formum, and then make a decesion on the size and type of tractor u need. THEN U GO LOOKING at all the different makes that fit your needs, THEN U PICK THE ONE U LIKE BEST. don't matter the color, it has to be what u like.. WELCOME TO THE FORUM. u might want to fill in your bio, so we get an idea of the area u live and the type of conditions u may encounter.
FRANK

/ Undecided what to by #10  
Don't forget <font color=orange>KIOTI</font color=orange>. The affordable <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange> tractor.