BUYING ADVICE

/ BUYING ADVICE #1  

helobubba

I just found this site a few days ago and I have enjoyed reading the forums. Like many others, I am in the market for a tractor. I own a very small horse farm in Virginia and a tractor with a front end loader and a few other attachments would sure come in handy. I have been looking for a used tractor for a good while now but I can't seem to find one that doesn't look like its been through a world war. I only have $9,000 - $10,000 to spend and that won't touch anything at the local Kubota dealership. Anyone have any suggestions? Sure could use some advice.

/ BUYING ADVICE #2  
I too looked at used stuff in the price range you mentioned, what I found was several 16+ year old tractors in well experienced condition.

I found a 1985 Ford 1710 with FEL, 500 hours, shuttle shift, one owner, the owner said he would sell for what he paid for it when it was new, $9,800.00.

However, he changed his mind when he saw the price of new machines. Although he said he might change his mind if he didn't have a pool payment.

Keep looking you will find something that fits in the budget somewhere.

Randy

/ BUYING ADVICE #3  
Welcome!

Have you checked out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com>the Power Trac line?</A> Of course, I'm partial to them /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif They are located in Tazewell, VA.

/ BUYING ADVICE #4  
Join the club. We are a rag-tag team of desparate tractor seekers. I have been looking for a used tractor with loader with about 28 hp for three years now. Whenever I find something good, I'm told that they just sold it. I'm always a few hours or a day late.

Then theres the dealers. Some dealers near me sell machines at reasonable fair prices. Some don't. Here's an example. Dealer #1 (always has good prices) John Deere 870 4X4, loader, 2000 hrs, $8,900 (sold in two days, I missed it)
Dealer #2 (always has high prices) John Deere 870 4X4, NO loader, 3000 hrs, $12,500 (tractor has been on his lot for two years) He has about 300 tractors, similarly priced, rusting away on his lot. He won't budge a nickle on prices. Good luck and keep searching, your tractor is out there.

/ BUYING ADVICE #5  
The Key for me was to be patient and to keep looking. I looked for about two years before I found the Ford 1720 that I will take delivery on next week. If you are looking for a bargain you probably will have to look a lot longer. You can use the time to educate yourself through this forum and through talking with dealers to determine what your needs are and what tractors will meet those needs. You will also know a fair price when you find it. Good Luck ! CHUCK

/ BUYING ADVICE #6  
Welcome to TBN and jump right in at anytime. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Have you check into repo of tractor thru banks and dealers,also put message on b-boards.
How far are you willing to travel,also what size etc.. are you seeking in a tractor,and does it matter if its a 4WD.
Again welcome to TBN.

/ BUYING ADVICE #7  
I'm the one who always seems to put in this suggestion!! Why not look for a small utility type ag tractor,instead of a compact? You'll have more choices to pick from,and some will be cheaper than the compacts.

/ BUYING ADVICE #8  
I was in your shoes a few years back and for a few more bucks I could get a new tractor..I chose Kioti because of price and reputation I got a 3054 kelley fel.blade and bush hog NEW for 15000 I have not regretted it

/ BUYING ADVICE #9  
Could you suggest some John Deere or other models that would fit this description?

/ BUYING ADVICE #10  
I have found that you can often spend (waste?) as much time as you want searching for tractor deals. I'd suggest you spend no more than a couple of months looking and then look at buying new. Can you imagine waiting two years to get the things done you need to do now? If you have up to $10, 000 of disposable cash, you can easily get into the tractor of your choice and finance what you need above the cash you have available. You could put $5,000 down on a new tractor (say 25-30 hp) and use the rest to buy the implements you need. Spending all your money on a tractor will leave you with a lot of jobs you could do if you only had that implement... It's kinda' like buying a computer without software. It will sure look silly sitting there doing nothing. Of course, only you can make those kinds of decisions, but with that much cash, I'd make darn sure I got what I wanted and needed, and I would do it soon. Good luck.