One tractor, or tractor and rider?

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #1  

Iowa Boy

Tractor
John Deere LT180
Okay, the search begins. Some of you saw my tread about losing weight, and there is a good chance, (okay, a chance anyway), that I will be buying a tractor next spring. One of the suggestions in that thread was that I should take my time and do some shopping, so when the time comes I know exactly what I want.

I bought my lot a couple of years ago, and for a while I was looking at a
B7100, thinking that size was about right. I started looking around last year, and kind of liked the Massey 1523/1528 for the features and the price.

Now I want to broaden my search. The first question I have for all of you is whether I should be looking at a sub-compact or a compact tractor. Let me describe my land. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac on a 5 acre pie shaped lot. The point of the pie, where the house sits, is about 3/4 acre of clear ground that I currently mow with a nearly new JD LT180 (60 hours). Then there are 2 acres of timber, on the side of a hill. At the bottom of the hill, there are 2.5 acres of open pasture with a creek in it.

The reason I want a tractor, more than just my rider, is so I can clear some trails through the woods, and skid some of the down trees to cut for firewood, and so I can work the pasture into a nice level play area for the kids. To do this work, I see myself needing a FEL, a box blade, a small rotary cutter, and eventually maybe a MMM to mow the pasture area. I do not need a BH for anything, at least not for enough to make me want to spend the extra money.

One of the first questions I want to answer is if I should keep the LT180 for mowing around the house and buy a compact tractor for working the woods and clearing the pasture, or if I should try to buy 1 unit to do it all.

If I buy one unit, I would be probably be looking at a JD2305, Kubota BX24, or a Massey GC2300. Then I could use it for everything. I don't think it would be optimized for working the woods and the pasture, but it would allow me to use the same unit for mowing my yard.

The other option is to keep the LT180 for mowing, and buy an additional tractor that is more suited to working in the woods. In that case I would be looking at something like a Kioti CK20/25, Massey 1523/1528, Kubota B7610, or JD2320/2520. I know at this time, there is quite a variation in the sizes that I mention, but at this point I have not narrowed my search more than that.

For dealers, there is an excellent JD/Kubota dealer very close by, although they seem a little more expensive than other dealers. There is a Massey dealer about 40 miles away that is willing to deliver a tractor for me to try for a few days. I like Kioti, but the closest Kioti dealer is 3 hours away. I plan on doing all my own maintenance, but for warranty work that could be a little too far away.

I'd like your suggestions. Do I go with 1 unit to do everything, or do I keep my rider and buy a little bigger tractor? Money is somewhat of an issue, but not enough that I want to sub optimize my equipment for the next 15 years.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #2  
I have both. My rider is a 15HP with a 38" cut and my finish mower has a 72" cut. The rider is just too slow and narrow for cutting my fields and the tractor cannot maneuver around the house and pool. I maintain 10 acres and about 2/3 is dense forest. The remainder is sparsely treed fields. It sounds like a situation similar to yours. I could live without the rider as I also have a push mower, but the tractor I could not do without. I have a 40HP 4WD TLB and I use all of it, especially for handling trees. I would suggest getting both.

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #3  
I have both too, The lawn tractor has a 50 inch cut and flys and the Kubota does all the dirty work. I think a Lawn tractor or a Zero steer and a Tractor is a better combination. MMM finish mowers will cost about 2 grand anyway so my feeling is a nice lawn tractor is about the same price and light & fast. That said Brush cutting is another subject

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #4  
I am presently in the exact situation. 3/4-1 acre in the front, 4 acres of pasture/field in the back. I decided on a toro zero turn from Home Depot for the finished area, and got a little larger tractor with a fel, box blade and cheap 5' brushog for the rough stuff.

I am in the process of getting into some more acreage where I want to cut in some trails and would eventually need a little more tractor.

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #5  
A big 'un and little-'uns here too. A LT170 and a LT175.

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #6  
More is always better... change colors too... I can go on either side of a "brand war".

mark

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #7  
People often don't buy a particular brand because of "warranty" issues, and I think theat is a big mistake.
Warranty issues are more rare on tractors than on a auto. I bought my Tractorn from kentucky, I'm in Southern Ca. ( I had a Kubota dealer 1 mile from me )

It hit the ground running and never stopped since 1999, I just sold it and it was NEVER EVER back to the dealer for warranty issues. Even here on the site there are not a huge number of warranty issues.

So don't short change a good tractor on a slim chance of warranty work.

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #8  
Iowa Boy said:
I'd like your suggestions. Do I go with 1 unit to do everything, or do I keep my rider and buy a little bigger tractor? Money is somewhat of an issue, but not enough that I want to sub optimize my equipment for the next 15 years.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Local dealers are one option. There are others. For example:

You can buy a new 25-hp (engine) NorTrac tractor with FEL from Northern Tool for $10500 and free shipping. It's a rebadged Jinma tractor.

Check the grey market tractor dealers in your area. A 20 hp Yanmar 1700 with FEL is about $7000. These are used tractors that usually have a few thousand hours on the engine.

I have 10 acres of flat pasture land that I mow with a 21-hp (engine) Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL that I bought new in May05 for $12,600 (10% down, 0% for 36 months). The MMM for this tractor runs near $4K.

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #9  
I'd look at the Kubota B7410/7510 or 7610 (or an equivalent sized tractor)with a loader and MMM. I would sell or trade the Deere LT180.
IMHO, that one tractor would be best sized for your property.

If your finished lawn doesn't have too many obstructions, you could skip the MMM and go for a cheaper or bigger RFM.

Are you going to do your field with the mower, or get a cutter?

The previous post mentioned Nortrac...well, you must do your own maintenance if you go that direction. I strongly suggest you stick with Deere, Kubota or NH, unless you are good with a wrench and don't mind waiting for parts. There's also resale value, if you want to consider that (I don't make resale value a big consideration).
I'd also stay away from grey market tractors. Basically for the same reasons as the Nortrac.

Good luck!

/ One tractor, or tractor and rider? #10  
Iowa Boy:

I have a White LT1650 with a 42" mower deck for around the house. I use my tractor for the fields, dragging trees, dirt and rock work, and moving material. The weighted R-1's do a number on the lawn when it is wet. Jay