HY-TRAN a must???

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #1  

koop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case IH 495
My manual says use Case HY Tran or HY Tran plus when filling or changing the hydraulic/transmission fluid. Is just Case's way to get you to buy their product or is there really something different. I bought my 495 used, so I do not know what is in it now. I am already having problems with the hitch and i do not want to make things worse.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #2  
I think the latest HyTran is maybe Ultra? I used it for a couple of years in my 7000 Cub and it was fine. Maybe a little heavy? I went to Mystik JT5 and the HST seems a tad smoother. That said I did pay more for the Mystik. The HTU price was always fair. Last bucket was around $43. Probably up by now. If your book says HyTran I would lean that way although any fluid that meets Case HT spec's shoud be fine. I like to run a can of Seafoam through the system before I change to collect water. I also like to start up after it has drained and all the drain plusgs are out. A big slug of fluid comes out and the 30 second run does not hurt a thing. Watch for milky stuff....It's water and it is the enemy of hydraulics.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #3  
I've puzzled over the same thing for quite a while. The standard you need to meet is MS-1209, regardless of the brand. I have only found one oil other than Hytran Ultra that lists that performance standard on the bucket, and it cost just as much or more (At Tractor Supply) than the Hytran does at the dealer. So, I just buy the real deal.

There are 3 different Hytran fluids -- Hytran, Hytran Plus (?), and Hytran Ultra, with Ultra being the newest. Each of them has a different performance standard. The dealer says they are downward compatible but not upward. In other words, you can use ultra instead of plus but not the other way around.

I think it might get to be an issue if you really push the hydraulics hard. I have an HST tractor, so go with the good stuff.

The flip side is the fact that NH has essentially the same machine as mine and they label their oil differently and use a different numerical standard for it. I think it prices out about the same and is probably the same stuff in a different bottle, but the dealers can't/won't verify that. It doesn't really matter since the price is the same, but it's just one of those things that annoys a person.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #4  
The case recommendation is a great oil. Hytran absorbs more moisture then any of hydraulic oils I've seen so far in any tests. That is a plus as it doesn't allow the moisture to settle into the bottom and seperate and possibly freeze starving a pump.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #5  
When I dropped by my dealer on last Friday to pick up filters and 5 gal. of Hy-Tran Ultra, I mentioned the "super-secret, special sauce formula" to the co-owner & shop foreman--they both smiled. I inquired about how the NH tractor could use one fluid when the CaseIH used another as they both come off the same assembly line in GA . . . just more smiles. The owner/salesman finally broke down and offered the "for as much as folks spend on their tractors . . . " line. Then I smiled back.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #6  
For the most part we only have the Ultra in stock, NH wise we only have their lower grade for price and when customers ask for the better grade we move them to the Case-IH Ultra oil. The Ultra is a very good grade oil I'd say in the ten weight grade with maybe a 15 tops. Most oils run into a twenty weight for hydraulic oils. This does hinder the cold pour point of other hydraulic oils for cold weather use.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #7  
art said:
The case recommendation is a great oil. Hytran absorbs more moisture then any of hydraulic oils I've seen so far in any tests. That is a plus as it doesn't allow the moisture to settle into the bottom and seperate and possibly freeze starving a pump.

Your kidding right? You want a oil that has the best demulsability or that is resistant to mixing with water. When water and oil mix it becomes a milkshake that will rust and corrode your system, destroys bearings and also foams very bad. You want a oil that will NOT mix with water so you can drain the water out of the bottom of the sump tank.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #8  
Exxon Hydraul 560 has on the bucket that it meets "JI Case 1204-07/09" specs but it cost me about $40/bkt.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #9  
DieselPower said:
Your kidding right? You want a oil that has the best demulsability or that is resistant to mixing with water. When water and oil mix it becomes a milkshake that will rust and corrode your system, destroys bearings and also foams very bad. You want a oil that will NOT mix with water so you can drain the water out of the bottom of the sump tank.

When oil turns to a milk shake it get's people's attention! When oil won't absorb moisture then it can build up in the base and freeze up starving the hydraulic pump.

/ HY-TRAN a must??? #10  
That's the whole point, the water should all settle in the bottom so it can be drained off in during regular scheduled maintenance. By the time your oil has turned to a milkshake it's to late, damage has already started. Good hydraulic oil and UTF oil should not readily mix with water and it should have a very good to excellent rating for ASTM D1401 standard on water demulsibility. Cheap oils rarely can pass the D1401 test.