Case DX40 Pulling Plows

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #1  

FriedmanFarms

Im looking at one of these dx40's does it have enough guts to pull a 2 or 3 bottom plow?

Looking to plow up about 5 acres for corn and pumpkins

thanks

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #2  
Two or three bottoms are fine for a DX40. Remember that with corn stalks that a wider width of cut per bottom will put more thru without clogging.

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #3  
How deep are your plows and how heavy is your soil?

I pulled a double 14 with an 8N on the sandy loam soil where I lived in Michigan. That's only about 27 HP new, and mine was 30 years old at the time.

Unless you're plowing heavy clay with a deep triple, I think the DX40 should pull it easily. Ask a nearby dealer what people are using, or ask a neighboring farmer.

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows
Ill pull plows that are suitable for the tractor if I go that route, Im saying goodbye to my bobcat 773 with hydraulic snowblower, the house is built the barn is almost finished, the landscaping is done. Time to concentrate on punkins and xmas trees.

I have opportunity to grab used dx40 with cab, loader and front mount snowblower. my driveway is 1,000 feet long and I get huuuuge drifts. I am assuming the tractor snowblower is comparable to skid steer's?

Would like to eliminate the need hire out my plowing and get something more versatile.

IF dx40 can handle both chores it seems like a good fit.
thanks!

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #5  
If you have a medium to heavy ground you will want to stay with a 2 bottom plow. It will pull faster then a 3 bottom and you won't have any problems. Look for a 2-14 or 2-16 or if you can find one, some of the older 3 bottom plows are just bolt togethers so you can pull the third bottom off if you find it pulls to hard and then you have a 2 bottom plow with spare parts.

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #6  
I don't think you are going to be very happy with the DX40 for plowing 5 acres, especially if you've always operated gear tractors. You will have the "double whammy" of an HST transmission and also industrial tires (R4s) if your tractor is set up like most. I'm not saying that the tractor won't do the plowing, just that I don't think you will be happy with it. If there is any way you could test it with the plow before buying, I'd highly recommend it.

For all your other tasks the DX40 will shine. You will love it. If you can put up with mediocre performance while plowing, I think you will really like the tractor. It's just that you might find it seems sluggish and lacking power. That's the normal reaction for anyone going from gear to HST for draft loads. The wide industrial tires only make it worse. They just don't have the grip strength of AG R1s in loose soil. Also you might have to use the lowest range to plow if your soil is pretty hard.

I don't want to scare you away from the DX40, but just a bit of caution and testing could save you some unpleasant surprises.

the unit is coming with turf tires, I need to buy swap outs, is there a better tire then the recommened factory ones? Is a thinner tire compatable?

I currently have a1960's case 430 with loaded tires, only problem is its 2wd doesnt steer, smokes like a mother, and the diesel fumes melt your contact lenses to your eyes.

If you have a recommened tire / rim that might work better id appreciate it, since i would be swapping them out anyway.

Never experianced HST either. I think plowing with horses would be better then hiring someone else to plow for me, just based on the concept itself.

thanks

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #8  
FriedmanFarms said:
the unit is coming with turf tires, I need to buy swap outs, is there a better tire then the recommened factory ones? Is a thinner tire compatable?

I think you may be in for a big expense on the tires and wheels. I say that because I think the wheels for turfs are different. I looked at my Illustrated Parts Catalog and there are different wheels for each type of tire. You need to check with your local Case dealer. You can put AG R1s or Industrial R4s on that tractor. There are wide AGs that may fit on the industrial tire wheels. I think you can expect to spend around $2000 for new tires and wheels, maybe more.:(

yeah its 2200 for the comeplete OEM change, we are deducting that from the price of the tractor, it will be a hard sell in these parts with turfs. this was used for moving bark around on an estate thats about it.

So as long as i was spending that much if there is a better tire ill do it at the swap out.

thanks for the input.

/ Case DX40 Pulling Plows #10  
Jim is right on the HST and the tires. On the tires, if Case is like some other companies and I think they will be. They can order tire and wheel assemblies through whole goods. Whole goods is tractors, equipment and includes assemblies which can be ordered with those tractors and equipment and they come in on the same truck. Items like tire assemblies are much, much less expensive when ordered that way instead of through the parts department. The only problem with ordering them that way is that you have to wait until a load of tractors or equipment comes in. For the amount of saving, I know that it wouldn't be that much of a problem for me.