IH 284

/ IH 284 #1  

JSharp

Gold Member
Tractor
IH 404, Cub GT 2554
Does anyone have any experience with a model 284 IH? I did a search and came up with nothing.

I'm sort of looking for a small tractor to bush hog and possibly add a loader. I've seen a couple of these on the net and the size and capability looks about right for my expected use. There also seem to be more gas versions around than diesels and I'd prefer a gas tractor. I have some light duty dirt work to do and sometimes have a little snow to move.

Anyone have any info?

/ IH 284 #2  
From TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

International Harvester 284

General information:

Manufacturer: International Harvester

Model: 284

Years produced: 1976 - 1984

Total built:

Factory:

Original price: $5,000 (1984)

Power:

Engine: 28 hp [20.9 kW]

Drawbar (rated): 21 hp [15.7 kW]

PTO (rated): 26 hp [19.4 kW]

Engine:

Manufacturer: Mazda

Fuel: gasoline

Cylinders: 4

Bore/Stroke:

Displacement: 71.3 ci [1.2 L]

Compression:

Rated RPMs:

Torque:

Firing order:

Engine:

Manufacturer: Nissan

Fuel: diesel

Cylinders: 3

Bore/Stroke:

Displacement: 99 ci [1.6 L]

Compression:

Rated RPMs:

Torque:

Firing order:

Comments: Diesel engine available in 1981

Transmission:

Type: sliding gear

Forward: 8

Reverse: 2

Mechanical:

MFWD: optional after 1982

Steering:

Brakes:

Capacity:

Fuel: 7.9 gal [29 L]

3-Point Hitch:

Rear Hitch Category: I

Rear lift:

Power Take-off (PTO):

Type: independent

Rear speed (RPM): 540, 1000

Tires:

Ag front: 5.00-15

Ag rear: 11.2-24

Dimensions:

Weight: 2,138 lbs [969 kg]

Serial Numbers:
Location: In front of rear axle on the right side of the frame

1976: 8005
1977: 8125
1978: 10705
1979: 12425
1980: 13207
1981: 13419
1980 (diesel): 670
1981 (diesel): 2146
1982 (diesel): 2999
1983 (diesel): 3343
1984 (diesel): 4561
1981 (4WD): 2267
1982 (4WD): 3035

/ IH 284 #3  
i had one of these for several years. good little tractor. i happened to be at the caseIH dealer and a guy came in for a part for that tractor. the part wasn`t available. it had to do with the 3pt hitch control lever. needless to say , I traded that tractor in for a newer one that i can get parts for.

/ IH 284
dieselade said:
i had one of these for several years. good little tractor. i happened to be at the caseIH dealer and a guy came in for a part for that tractor. the part wasn`t available. it had to do with the 3pt hitch control lever. needless to say , I traded that tractor in for a newer one that i can get parts for.

Thanks all.

I've been reading a little more on the net and talking to some people in the area since I posted this thread. Too bad about the parts issues. These tractors seem to be the perfect size for my needs and inexpensive.

Of course they're going cheap now. No one wants to be stuck with one that can't be repaired...

/ IH 284 #5  
I don't think that would be too much of an issue. I was told the same thing by a New Holland dealer about a part for my tractor (83' Ford 1300). There are still parts that can be found, (tractor scrapyards), they told me who to contact and I had the part within a week. I would question what part he was looking for, I'm sure gaskets, rebuild kits, etc. can be found at the dealer.

/ IH 284 #6  
I am new here. I found this forum and thread by doing a google search. I have a 1980 model 284 that was brought to me in pieces to put together. Some fool tore the engine apart and put it in boxes because they didn't know what to do about it. Another guy bought it that way and he wants me to get it back together.

This has a Mazda engine I am told and I have also been told that it is the same engine used in the early Ford Courier mini trucks. I need to find a good source for parts for the engine. I know I need a full gasket set and a distributor gear. Possibly I also need other engine parts. I wouild like to buy a complete engine gasket set but I was told that the IH dealers sell all the gaskets seperately. I don't mind going with online ordering so long as I can call the place to verify that I am ordering the right stuff.

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Dave

/ IH 284 #7  
Try messicks.com. They have been helpful in getting me gasket sets when they were only listed separately. You can look up the parts yourself on this site.

Eugene

/ IH 284 #8  
Try messicks.com. They have been helpful in getting me gasket sets when they were only listed separately. You can look up the parts yourself on this site.

Eugene

Thanks Man... I'll check it out.

Later...

/ IH 284 #9  
I have a 1979 IH 284 gasoline that am currently restoring. Have been able to locate some parts, however very scarce. Cannot seem to be able to find any info on Mazda M4-710 4 cyl gasoline engine specifications. Engine runs very well with occasional sputters because fuel leaking out of the top of the carb. especially when shut down. Have to keep fuel shutoff closed when stored. Also engine runs very low oil pressure, like 15 lbs. or less. Don't know if this is normal for this engine or not? If anyone knows please advise. Need fuel pump. either new or rebuilt carbeurator, and engine oil pump with gaskets. Have not been able to locate.

/ IH 284 #10  
Fuel spilling out of the carburetor is usually related to a needle and seat problem. Think of your float bowl in the carb as your toilet tank. If the float never shuts the water off, your toilet tank overflows. The same thing is happening to your carb except it's with fuel instead of water. I looked at a diagram of the carburetor and it does not appear that there is an adjustment for the needle and seat setup. I would check with the local dealer to see what they can get you one for. It looked like it was available on messicks.com also. You ma be able to get away with cleaning the needle and seat setup also....sometimes a spec of dirt will make it so it is unable to seal correctly. That's very typical for a carburetor that has sat for any length of time with fuel in it.

Let me know if you need farther help!!!!