DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #1  

jduke

Bronze Member
Anyone have this problem? It seems like a design flaw. The tractor has 170 hours, and somewhere, the antifreeze leaks out of the reservoir, drips onto the fan, and is thrown back into the engine. Since i mow with this tractor, dust gets caked on to this while it happens and i have to wash it off the fan and engine every 4 times i mow. It appears as though there is some 'hole' in the reservoir, like a vent or something and it splashes around while mowing and drips out of this hole. The only other place i can see it may be coming from is the reservoir cap itself, it also has some sort of pinhole that is a vent i guess.

Is this a common thing? Is there a fix?

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #2  
I don't have a Case. I have a Mahindra 2015, but this same thing was happening to me, and it drove me crazy. I went as far as to use my air compressor to "charge up" the reservoir to see if there was a leak. It turned out to be exactly what you said. There is a vent hole in the cap, and as the coolant splashes around, it makes its way out that vent.

My solution, (don't know if this will work for you) Attached to the cap, there is a plastic washer type of thing with a pie shaped piece missing. I turned that piece so that the missing piece was OPPOSITE the vent hole, and the problem was solved. See if yous is like that.

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir
OK, it is leaking from the hole that is in the reservoir facing the engine. I don't know if this is broken and maybe there is a nipple on there for an overflow hose or what, but mine is flush and there is a hole. I can blow in the pinhole in the cap and feel air come out of the hole facing the engine. For now, i stuck and earplug in it so it doesnt splash out through it.

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #4  
jduke,

Check out Messicks version of the CIH parts site:
Case / New Holland Parts Catalogs
If you search by CaseIH, then DX55, you'll see a few versions. For ease use, compare the first listed and the last one. Look under Engine Equipment, then under Radiator And Battery. There are 2 different styles of resevoirs. Both should have a hose conneting the radiator to the resevior. Maybe your hose came off and your radiator is overflowing out the open end of the hose? I looked at my DX55, and there is no extra hole or nipple. It has a cap and a hose, that's all. Mine is the newer design, but by looking at the parts drawing I cannot see much difference between the 2 besides how the mount. If you can't figure it out easily, you could stop by a case or NH dealer for a look.

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #5  
Mine is connected to the radiator via a hose. This 'hole' im referencing is facing the engin, near the top. If you take off the cap and look in and towards the engin, you can see what appears to be a 'nipple' on the inside of the tank. So, something was there, or it has a purpose. The bottles and reservoirs on those parts diagrams do not look like mine. My reservoir is comparatively larger and spreads the width of the radiator. My DX55 is a 2004 model.

FOUND IT. OK, look at the DX45 parts diagram. THATS what my reservoir on my DX55 looks like. Now, look at the cap, right under it is a 'hole' thats what mine has, and it splashes inside and drips out through that hole. I have no clue what it is for, but i plugged it.

Last edited:
   / DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #6  
agford4x4 said:
Mine is connected to the radiator via a hose. This 'hole' im referencing is facing the engin, near the top. If you take off the cap and look in and towards the engin, you can see what appears to be a 'nipple' on the inside of the tank. So, something was there, or it has a purpose. The bottles and reservoirs on those parts diagrams do not look like mine. My reservoir is comparatively larger and spreads the width of the radiator. My DX55 is a 2004 model.

FOUND IT. OK, look at the DX45 parts diagram. THATS what my reservoir on my DX55 looks like. Now, look at the cap, right under it is a 'hole' thats what mine has, and it splashes inside and drips out through that hole. I have no clue what it is for, but i plugged it.
That's definitely different than mine. It doesn't look like they had a separate plug on those either, since there is none listed. I'd still ask the service guys about it next time your are at your dealer.

/ DX55 Dripping antifreeze from reservoir #7  
Well, the cap has a hole in it for venting, so ill probably just go to the hardware store and get a rubber hole plug or just stuff some permatex or window caulk in it.