ih 284 overheating

/ ih 284 overheating #1  

big ivan

hello i have an ih 284 with a diesel and since last summer it has been over heating very often i do not have a manual and i do not know the service intervals. that being said i dont have any water in the oil i dont smell it burning water out the exhaust it seems alot of water is getting by the cap and out the over flow the cap is a 16lb does or has anyone had this problem there is about 7000 hours on the tractor its whole service life has been as a lawn mower. any help would be appreciated

/ ih 284 overheating #2  
Without knowing much about it, I would start by cleaning the radiator. There is a good thread on here from a couple weeks back that talked about the hidden grime and the overheating problems it causes. I helped my ford 850 by soaking the fins with a hose, and spraying it out several times throughout the day from the back side. I couldn't believe all the 'mud' that came out, and it lowered the operating temperature to within safe range.
Other than that the thermostat would be the next place to check.

/ ih 284 overheating #3  
Neighbor has one of those also, radiator is plugged.

/ ih 284 overheating
copper dog do you mean the inside or the outside i just put a new thermostat in the tractor along with pressure testing the cooling system i have gotten bad thermostats in the box before so i will start with the radiator and work my way back thanks for the replys