Oil & Fuel Oil leak on Case 885XL

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #1  

daz

Tractor
Case 885XL & International 276
Hi all

I've got a slight oil leak on the underside of my 885XL and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on it. If you look on the picture it seems to be coming from the back of the plate (green arrow) which is infront of the well secured plate.

spa0316map2.jpg

The back end of the plate seems to be bent down slightly and the oil is spread about a foot out around this in a thin layer. Looking at the oil its pretty clean which suggests hydraulic but I've no idea why it would be coming from this location. The fact the plate is only held in place by two bolts suggests thats its a cover plate but for what? I'm reluctant to attempt to remove it since I don't know whats underneath it.

Now I don't have an operators manual so from a forum I found out that to test the hydraulic level I should run the tractor for a few minutes first to make sure the oil is evenly distributed (otherwise it just comes way up the dipstick). So the other day I did this and found the level was still over the max which suggests that maybe the previous owner over-filled it, in which case could the oil on the underside just be overspill thats been forced out under pressure or something? Its not a massive leak, barely enough to leave a few spots on the floor when stood idle for a week but does come back if you wipe it down then run the machine.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what the problem may be, what lives under the mysterious plate and where I'd find the filter/top-up for the hydraulic system anyway?

Many thanks in advance

Daz

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #2  
daz said:
Hi all

I've got a slight oil leak on the underside of my 885XL and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on it. If you look on the picture it seems to be coming from the back of the plate (green arrow) which is infront of the well secured plate.

spa0316map2.jpg

The back end of the plate seems to be bent down slightly and the oil is spread about a foot out around this in a thin layer. Looking at the oil its pretty clean which suggests hydraulic but I've no idea why it would be coming from this location. The fact the plate is only held in place by two bolts suggests thats its a cover plate but for what? I'm reluctant to attempt to remove it since I don't know whats underneath it.

Now I don't have an operators manual so from a forum I found out that to test the hydraulic level I should run the tractor for a few minutes first to make sure the oil is evenly distributed (otherwise it just comes way up the dipstick). So the other day I did this and found the level was still over the max which suggests that maybe the previous owner over-filled it, in which case could the oil on the underside just be overspill thats been forced out under pressure or something? Its not a massive leak, barely enough to leave a few spots on the floor when stood idle for a week but does come back if you wipe it down then run the machine.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what the problem may be, what lives under the mysterious plate and where I'd find the filter/top-up for the hydraulic system anyway?

Many thanks in advance

Daz

I don't know what is causing it but I expect that the plate is jsut a cover plate to an acces hole. Because it is only held on with two bolts I don't think it would be holding oil in. There is probably just some old oil washing around in there from somewhere.

It is an older tractor and you would expect some leaks. It is only leaking a tiny ammount so I would not worry about it and just check the fluid levels every now and again.

I don't quite understand what you mean by running it before you check the hydraulic oil level. The dipstick is just sitting in the hydraulic oil resevoir and measures how much is in there. That is why you need to wipe the dipstick off before you measure the oil because otherwise oil could splash onto it from driving around.

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL
Must admit I thought the dipstick advice was slightly dubious myself but not having the operator manual and our ancient International 276 & JCB being very different who am I to say?! It definitely is the case that if I check the level now it will show as being about 4 or 5 inches over the max mark, and yes that is with having wiped the stick first (I'm not that much of a numpty! :D ) But if I run it first then check it has definitely dropped (as you'd expect) but still remains over the max mark, say by up to half an inch, which is what leads me to think it had been overfilled before we got it.

TBH I'm not overly worried about it, I just wondered if it might be an indicator of some bigger problem and I like to jump on any potential problems when they arise because sods law that minor issue that gets left alone is virtually guaranteed to turn into a major issue just when you really need the machine, or in the middle of the job!!

Cheers

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #4  
Front transmission seal!

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #5  
I reckon it'll be the clutch up above the cover and possibly a grease nipple on the thrust bearing. The oil must be coming from the front (engine) or rear (transmission/hydraulics) , if it's fairly clean probably the latter.
Don't think a high level should cause a leak, it would more likely come out the breather if too high. So probably a leaking lip seal which means splitting the tractor if you want to fix it.

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #6  
I'm working on my memory of when we had International 574's(smaller) and of the 74 Hydro on our grape harvester but I believe on those you'd find the filler plug in the casting above the three point linkage, the dipstick behind where your left leg goes and the filter on the LHS of the transmission, down low, somewhere below the seat. Look for a dome about 150mm in dia. with a bolt head in the centre, but this dome also has parallel sides of about 100 -125mm deep. Undo the centre bolt and the dome will pull off (may need a sharp tap) to reveal the trans/hydraulic filter.

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL
Ah right, a few possible things to check then... thanks for the tips! I don't think its bad enough for me to even contemplate breaking the thing in two! I'll just have to watch the hydraulic level and see if I can't isolate the exact source, probably have that plate off and see just what is under it too (especially if there may be a grease nipple in there)

As for the location of the hydraulics bits I had a look around the rear linkage casting because thats where the top-up is on our International 276 but couldn't see anything obvious (must admit I didn't look too hard tho') - there must be something around that area because otherwise it'd be fairly difficult to access. At least now tho' I know what the the large dome on the left side of the transmission under the cab is! I'm always a bit wary of taking bits off unless I have to just to have a look in case I end up breaking a seal or something...

Cheers

/ Oil leak on Case 885XL #8  
allenr said:
I'm working on my memory of when we had International 574's(smaller) and of the 74 Hydro on our grape harvester but I believe on those you'd find the filler plug in the casting above the three point linkage, the dipstick behind where your left leg goes and the filter on the LHS of the transmission, down low, somewhere below the seat. Look for a dome about 150mm in dia. with a bolt head in the centre, but this dome also has parallel sides of about 100 -125mm deep. Undo the centre bolt and the dome will pull off (may need a sharp tap) to reveal the trans/hydraulic filter.

This is an XL cab so any oil fillers /dipsticks will be external .