DX40 Bent Push Rod, help

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help #1  

sheepman

Tractor
1962 Fordson Super Major Diesel, 1951 Ferguson TO20
I've got a 2003 DX40, FEL, with 285 hrs. I brought it to the dealer because the engine was making an intermittent ticking noise (very loud, though). Went down there after work today, and they said they found a bent push rod. I looked at it, and it had a couple of nicks in it, and wasn't noticably bent. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Hopefully the TC guys out there could chime in, too, since the machines are nearly identical.

What would cause this to happen? I don't consider myself to "abuse" it at all. It just gets used around my farmyard for light loader work and a little mowing. Of course the tractor is off warranty. The part is $6.00, but labor will likely be much, much more than that.

If anyone has had a similar problem, or can tell me what would cause this to happen, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Sheepman

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help #2  
It may be more than 6 dollars but it still shouldn't be too bad.

BTI

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help #3  
The labor shouldn't be that bad. Should be able to replace the push rod after removing the valve cover and valve train. Then readjusting the valves and replacing the cover. They've apparently already got the valve cover and valve train removed.

Hard to guess what caused the push rod to bend. The push rod opens the valve against a spring. The push rod might bend if the valve wouldn't open (lack of oil in the valve guide?), or if the valve couldn't open because of some obstruction in the cylinder (really excessive carbon buildup on the piston or something else that made its way into the cylinder?)

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help #4  
During a field service call for my tc 40da the road mechanic mentioned to me that I should make sure not to add oil too quickly when I do oil changes.He said it was possible to cause a hydraulic lock in the motor that would bend a rod.
Brian

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help #5  
not to add oil too quickly
On some engines that have the fill hole in the valve cover, it's possible to pour the oil in faster than what can flow down the oil galleys. What happens is you end up filling the valve cover with oil and it starts flowing into your crankcase breather tube and into your intake manifold. And from there into your cylinders, then when you hit the key to start you get your hydraulic lock.

Been there, done that.

/ DX40 Bent Push Rod, help
257NH said:
make sure not to add oil too quickly.
Brian

I didn't know that. Well, it's been back from the shop now for a bit and no problems. I did change oil when I got it back. Hopefully I didn't do it too fast :eek:

Thanks for the info.