Price Check Price check on IH 404

/ Price check on IH 404 #1  

JSharp

Gold Member
Tractor
IH 404, Cub GT 2554
I looked at an IH 404 today and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about that model along with what it might be worth.

It's a '62 showing 2900 hours but the meter "stopped a while back." Gas engine was gone through 2 wears ago at the local Case/IH dealer, $2000+ worth of work, and I confirmed that. It's been supposedly used minimally since then skidding small logs with the 3 point.

Looks like it's been shed kept it's whole life. All the tin is there and is in good shape. Little rust and everything is straight. Tires are about 75% rear, maybe 50% front. Nothing seems to be leaking much.

It comes with an old Ford 3 point sickle bar, maybe 6' or 8'? and a 6' Woods rear finish mower that needs a gearbox.

The guy wants $2500 for the lot. Out of line? I'm going to go look at it again tomorrow. Any thoughts or tips on what should I look for?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

/ Price check on IH 404 #2  
I could see that price even not looking at the tractor. I would go over it well and there will be some short comings but you should enjoy it.

/ Price check on IH 404 #3  
Pity you're not closer to me i got a loader and bucket off a 414 for $300 ,Hoses'Controls , ready to go .
ps the tractor this came off cost $2000 so the price is ok

/ Price check on IH 404
Well, I bought it.

Overall it looks a little less good to me cosmetically than it did at first glance but functionally it seems fine. It started easily, the clutch, brakes and steering seem ok, the PTO is quiet in operation, etc.

The 3 point hydraulics are a bit noisy IMO, it sounds like it may be low on fluid. But it lifts quickly and stays up.

I'm excited! :D I probably can't get it home until next week but it's mine. Funny thing is 5 minutes after I told the guy I'd take it another guy showed up and wanted it. Too bad for him, you snooze you lose... ;)

D7E - I'd love to have the loader but for the distance. And in truth, I'm not sure it would be good idea on this tractor. It has the light front end, no power steering, and the small 4.5gpm pump...

Here's some pics I took last week as it was sitting -

DSCN2145_8X6.jpg

DSCN2146_8X6.jpg

DSCN2147_8X6.jpg

/ Price check on IH 404 #5  
JSharp said:
Well, I bought it.

Overall it looks a little less good to me cosmetically than it did at first glance but functionally it seems fine. It started easily, the clutch, brakes and steering seem ok, the PTO is quiet in operation, etc.

The 3 point hydraulics are a bit noisy IMO, it sounds like it may be low on fluid. But it lifts quickly and stays up.

I'm excited! :D I probably can't get it home until next week but it's mine. Funny thing is 5 minutes after I told the guy I'd take it another guy showed up and wanted it. Too bad for him, you snooze you lose... ;)

D7E - I'd love to have the loader but for the distance. And in truth, I'm not sure it would be good idea on this tractor. It has the light front end, no power steering, and the small 4.5gpm pump...

I'm no IH expert but fittings look the same and the tractor it came off had no PS , You just gotta learn to steer while you're moving and little narrow tyres help ,And watch out for ruts , I've had too many broken thumbs .
Pity you can't see this loader it's an original IH (white) With an awsome bucket ,I bought and sold the tractor but a guy wanted the bucket to put on a bob-cat but after i bought it the b@#stard did'nt want it so it will probably end up in the scrap (not the bucket) but i have a yard full of this kind of stuff and you can't keep it all ?

/ Price check on IH 404 #6  
Those are decent little tractors. I paid my way through the 1st 2 years of college by working on a grounds crew at school. I spent 2 summers on a 404 that looked very much like that one. Funny how times change. I mowed the football and baseball fields with that 404 and a bush hog with sharpened blades. Now they have artificial turf on the football field and use a golf course mower to cut the baseball field. ;)

You did good! That's a great buy on a nice looking tractor.

/ Price check on IH 404
Farmwithjunk said:
Those are decent little tractors. I paid my way through the 1st 2 years of college by working on a grounds crew at school. I spent 2 summers on a 404 that looked very much like that one. Funny how times change. I mowed the football and baseball fields with that 404 and a bush hog with sharpened blades. Now they have artificial turf on the football field and use a golf course mower to cut the baseball field. ;)

You did good! That's a great buy on a nice looking tractor.

Thanks. That's a good story. One of the things I like about the older machines are the stories people can tell about them and the experiences they had back when they were current. ;)

D7E - I'm curious how they connected up the hydraulics for the loader. My tractor has no remotes or any other provisions for external connections. The IH site has exploded parts lists online so I checked there and found assorted different valve and manifold assemblies that would allow additional connections. Most of the parts are marked "/Retired" though...