Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B

/ Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B #1  

Wanting to fix this

Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B. The tractor has no electrical system on it hoever it has a starter. I am trying to jimmy it to start and would appreciate if anyone can help me. As far as I know, the starter has never been used. I think it may need to be rebuilt though. Is there any way i can test it? I need to fix the electric start becasue I have been trying to get it running for a while. It has a hand crank but my father desn't want me to use it. (It nearly broke his arm) I can use all the help i can get

/ Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B #2  
the best thing to do would be to run a good, heavy battery cable to the lug on the starter and hook a good ground somewhere on the tractor. if the starter won't work, check the contacts where the rod engages the starter, and if that doesn't work check the brushes. it will be just as easy to rob some battery cables off of something else and put them on to try it than to jimmy rig it and possibly get hurt.

/ Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B
Thanks, Ive been trying to see if it turns by using a battery and some jumper cables. I dont have a starter switch like most of the ones with a starter did, nor do I have a battery mounted on the tractor (there is nowhere to put it) or any other electrical item, all I have is the starter sticking out of the bell housing with nothin mounted to it that would make it work, which is why i want to see if i can just jimmy the starter casue i can't get a switch. But i think i have an idea how it worked. There is a large squareish bump on the starter where i beleve the switch made contact. Is that the lug you were talking about? I dont know much about electrical especially something this old! Srry for my lack of knowlege. i will pot pics of the tractor and starter in question as soon as I can.

/ Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B #4  
that bump should have a spring loaded button on it which energizes the starter. if you take it off, there are copper contacts under it which can get burned and correded.

/ Jimmy Rig Starter on a 47 Farmall B
The bump doesnt have any button on it. There is lso no way to take it off it is part of the starter "case" I am going to post a photo today of the starter in question when I get home.