Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55

Default Antifreeze type question

DX-55, 2004 model year.

Just regular old 50/50 green antifreeze right? Im trying to remember if my manual states anything other than that like additives or whatever.

Default Re: Antifreeze type question

More than likely. The more exotic types are for engines with aluminum in contact with the coolant, like my car. I don't know that anyone is using exotic metals in diesels, but I could be wrong on that. There has been some discussion of coolants in the past. Why not try the search function?
    Rich
    300 hours on the DX29, 850 on the JD 240 and too many to count on the Cadet
    Funk, Ohio

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55

I did try the search function. I read about 15 posts and a couple of those were 5+ pages. I came up with no conclusion except that asking this question is like asking "which oil should i use".

Im just dumping in whatever antifreeze wal mart has by a name brand. I need the right stuff, but more importantly, i needed it changed, so i just grabbed some and went with it. I figure if it needed somehting special, the manual would have said so.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CIH D40, JD5310, Mule 610

The manual for my D40 just says 50/50 antifreeze, I take that to mean Walmart or any green stuff.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55

Yep.

I went with peak because it said 'no silicates'....i don't know what the **** difference that makes, but i read it somewhere. The coolant i have is global, so its actually Amber in color...or clear....kind of cool. I did notice the tractor ran a litle cooler after i changed it. The old coolant looked awefully 'thick', like maybe it was straight antifreeze.

Quote Originally Posted by agford4x4
    DX-55, 2004 model year.

Just regular old 50/50 green antifreeze right? Im trying to remember if my manual states anything other than that like additives or whatever.
    You might want to do a search on "antifreeze DCA" and similar variations. I know it is required in my Cummins ISB and various other OEM diesel manufacturers. Not sure if needed in whatever brand tractor you have.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55

I have no clue. The manual doesnt say anything, and three dealers said 'regular auto coolant'....so thats good enough for me i guess. The only thing one of them said was "it has a cast iron block...just regular prestone is fine".