Antifreeze type question

/ Antifreeze type question #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
DX-55, 2004 model year.

Just regular old 50/50 green antifreeze right? Im trying to remember if my manual states anything other than that like additives or whatever.

/ Antifreeze type question #2  
More than likely. The more exotic types are for engines with aluminum in contact with the coolant, like my car. I don't know that anyone is using exotic metals in diesels, but I could be wrong on that. There has been some discussion of coolants in the past. Why not try the search function?

/ Antifreeze type question
I did try the search function. I read about 15 posts and a couple of those were 5+ pages. I came up with no conclusion except that asking this question is like asking "which oil should i use".

Im just dumping in whatever antifreeze wal mart has by a name brand. I need the right stuff, but more importantly, i needed it changed, so i just grabbed some and went with it. I figure if it needed somehting special, the manual would have said so.

/ Antifreeze type question #4  
The manual for my D40 just says 50/50 antifreeze, I take that to mean Walmart or any green stuff.

Yep.

I went with peak because it said 'no silicates'....i don't know what the **** difference that makes, but i read it somewhere. The coolant i have is global, so its actually Amber in color...or clear....kind of cool. I did notice the tractor ran a litle cooler after i changed it. The old coolant looked awefully 'thick', like maybe it was straight antifreeze.

/ Antifreeze type question #6  
agford4x4 said:
DX-55, 2004 model year.

Just regular old 50/50 green antifreeze right? Im trying to remember if my manual states anything other than that like additives or whatever.

You might want to do a search on "antifreeze DCA" and similar variations. I know it is required in my Cummins ISB and various other OEM diesel manufacturers. Not sure if needed in whatever brand tractor you have.

I have no clue. The manual doesnt say anything, and three dealers said 'regular auto coolant'....so thats good enough for me i guess. The only thing one of them said was "it has a cast iron block...just regular prestone is fine".