IH 404 Fluid change question.

/ IH 404 Fluid change question. #1  

Bob Warner

Tractor
Ford (New Holland) 2610 with FEL
Hello all,

I recently got myself an IH 404. I am changing all the fluids but am confused about one thing. The hydraulic/trans fluid change out. I know where to drain it, I know where to add it but I do not know where the hole is that tells me it is full.

The books says to remove a plug and fill until it comes out the hole.

Does anyone know where this plug is? There is so much stuff I am afraid I will unplug the wrong thing and fill it to an incorrect level and end up flooding it or starving it and burning up the pump.

If you can shed some light on the location of this plug, please let me know. I have the TC-86 International Parts Catalog for the 404 and the 2404. If anyone can find the plug in the same book and can tell me the page and number, I will be able to find it. Also if anyone has a picture and can point to it with an arrow I can find it.

Anything you can help with will be appreciated.

Bob

/ IH 404 Fluid change question. #2  
Did you find it? I am doing some work in exchange for a IH 404, so your thread came up when I did a search. Just curious so I'll know where to look.;)

/ IH 404 Fluid change question. #3  
There's a pipe plug behind the left rear axle tube. If it hasn't been replaced by a more common plug it'll have a 1/4" square drive socket head. That's the level check plug.

Keep in mind also that there are 2 drain plugs. The large one on the bottom of the rear end housing and another on the right rear of the rockshaft housing. The upper plug drains the rockshaft housing / upper case and looks like a large bolt going into the rear right side of the case. Expect to see lots of nasty stuff drain from the top housing since it seems to settle in there.

When you fill the system, make sure you cycle the 3 point and any auxiliary valves a few times to get all of the air out and get an accurate level. It'll take 7+ gallons.